Motoring Discussion > Driving in Canada, any tips? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 34

Driving in Canada, any tips? - SteelSpark
Looks like I might be in Ontario for a couple of weeks this summer, probably flying into Toronto and then staying a couple of hours west of it.

Just wondered if anybody has driven in Ontario, and whether you had any tips on driving, type of car to hire (wife and a baby to drive around).

I have never driven outside of the UK before, and have only driven a couple of thousand miles here (started driving in October).

Also, I understand that you can take car seats with you on most airlines (belting them into the plane's seats). However, it seems that ISOFIX in the UK is not compatible with the fittings in Canada, so any advice there would be appreciated too.
 Driving in Canada, any tips? - Runfer D'Hills
Mind the bears. They have no manners.
 Driving in Canada, any tips? - CGNorwich
Not driven in Ontario but have driven in other parts of Canada. Canadians are normally courteous and good mannered drivers so I doubt you will have much trouble. Like the rest of North America not many roundabouts but a lot of traffic light controlled intersections so watch out for the lights. Ontario is one of the provinces where you can turn right on a red (unless signed to the contrary). In towns watch our for pedestrians crossing at intersections - they have priority. Keep to speed limits - speeding is seen as anti-social

I assume you are hiring a car. It will be an automatic, manual (stick) shifts are not normally available so if you drive a manual normally its a good idea to have a go in an automatic before your trip.

All car hire companies have childs seats available.

Lots of useful info here:

www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/
Thanks for the advice and for the link, I will look at that in detail.

Yes, I'll be hiring a car, probably from Enterprise as I think I can get a deal with them through a relative.
 Driving in Canada, any tips? - Dog
No offense meant, but I just don't think its a good idea for you to drive an automatic, LHD car in a country that drives on the RH side without any experience of either + you are very new to driving anyway.
 Driving in Canada, any tips? - Statistical Outlier
I'm not sure I agree Dog. Driving an auto is far easier than a manual if you're on the other side of the road - it removes one set of things that you need to do with the 'wrong' hand.

I'm also not convinced that being a new driver makes the switch to driving on the right (as opposed to the correct) more risky. If anything, it means that conventions are less engrained, making it easier to think your way through things.

My experience was driving in Alberta, not Ontario, but I'd had my license for a year before I drove a LHD manual Landrover with no wing mirrors for six months. As a result, I find it really easy to switch from left to right, both feel pretty natural.

Take it easy, concentrate at junctions where you could strand yourself on the wrong side, and I thing you'll be fine.
Obviously it is a concern driving on the other side of the road, and I take Dog's input onboard. However I do feel that, as you say, if I take things easy and concentrate I should be OK.

The main thing will be junctions as you say, and hopefully I will have sufficient fear of them to keep my mind nice and sharp when I have to turn.

I anticipate quite a big of highway driving, so long stretches of wide road with only the occasional turning, and hopefully not usually as busy as the London driving that I do. Still, even if that is the case, I need to keep focused.

I reckon that fairly regular breaks will help with keeping up the concentration too.

I'm not sure about the automatic/manual issue. I don't think that an automatic will be a problem and, although gear changing is pretty much second nature to me already, I guess that having it on the right rather than the left would take a bit of getting used to (whereas I just need to put it into drive and park occasionally with an auto).
 Driving in Canada, any tips? - SLK500
Lived in Canada for a couple of years, in Montreal to be precise, but regularly travelled to Ontario. Had use of both a manual and an automatic and certainly found it easier with the automatic. Wasn't a very confident driver and found the automatic less stressful, but had never driven one before and it did take some getting used to. That saying not having to worry about changing gear enabled me to focus on staying on the right side of the road, particularly at junctions, and as journeys tend to be longer than here in the UK the automatic made life easier.
It's a beautiful country so I hope that you have a good trip.
Thanks SLK good to have your input.

>> It's a beautiful country so I hope that you have a good trip.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I still don't notice the scenery very much when I am driving, because I still have a tendency to subconsciously turn the wheel slightly when looking away from the road, but I will try to soak it in during my regular breaks :)

Driving in Canada, any tips? - henry k
>>I assume you are hiring a car.
>>It will be an automatic, manual (stick) shifts are not normally available so if you drive a manual normally its a good idea to have a go in an automatic before your trip.
>>
I agree. Ask a trusted auto driver about the differences with an auto.
e.g. Little engine braking, especially downhill unless you change down. Kick down rather than change down. Creeping with feet off etc.
Remember trying to dip the clutch when driving an auto really wakes you up.

Might even be worth hiring an auto for a day in the UK to get a feel for things.

I assume they will have 3 and 4 way stop junctions for you to to deal with.
 Driving in Canada, any tips? - Zero
Yeah. You dont want to have to cope with too many new things. Makes sense to get the hang of an auto at home first. A proper torque converter type auto, not an automated Manual.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 13 Apr 10 at 19:55
Seriously guys, you think it will take hours to get used to an auto??

It creeps when you take your foot off the brake.
It goes when you press the loud pedal. It goes more if you press hard.
It stops when you press the brake.
If you would normally engine brake by selecting a lower gear then you can still select a lower gear and engine brake.

Err. And that's it I think.

I'm in the US driving an auto hire care now, and I can't think of anything else that I've needed to know.

Four ways stops are another matter though - good point whomever raised them. The deal is that you go in the order you arrive. Normally it's obvious, sometimes it's a bit of a test of nerve. You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly I'd guess.
> Seriously guys you think it will take hours to get used to an auto??

>> I have never driven outside of the UK before, and have only driven a couple of thousand miles here (started driving in October).

I think in this case, after a long tiring flight, climbing into an auto for the first time in a l/h drive car for the first time, driving on the right for the first time....

Yes, taking one first time unknown out of the equation would help.
Zero, fair point, but I would say that a far safer approach would be to make sure that you don't drive tired and late at all.

Maybe get a hotel room next to the airport and start fresh the next morning? What you lose on the hotel room you'll save (a bit) on the rental.
thats a useful tip.
 Driving in Canada, any tips? - MD
Stat out. Everything is simple when you know how! S/S Listen to Zero. I drove there in Toronto nearly 30 years ago. The highway stuff could be a nightmare as there were 'several' lanes iirc and any number of undertakers (Not Funeral Directors) and Idiots to boot. I drove firstly a Golf (Rabbit) manual and secondly some mid range V6 jobby Auto'. I enjoyed both, but that was 30 years ago. Take care and take nothing for granted. Good luck.

MD
MD, you make a brilliant point. We've all forgotten to mention the most critical thing: undertaking is legal and normal - you need to watch both sides of you to make sure nobody is coming past. Come to that, if Ontario is anything like Alberta around Calgary, then exits from the freeway can be on either side.

Actually, one other tip. Get yourself a cheap satnav or hire a car with one - the warning about where and when exits are coming up is well worth it.
 Driving in Canada, any tips? - henry k
>>Maybe get a hotel room next to the airport and start fresh the next morning? What you lose on the hotel room you'll save (a bit) on the rental.
>>
I am another in favour of this.
You can check out the car carefully. I have not been driving in the USA / Canada for a few years but I do recall all hire cars having no user manual. I have had some lemons from the big hire cos.

Two "features" I do recall that may or may not still apply.
Internal light operated by turning up the instrument lights and then keep turning the knob.
Concierge keys. Fuel cap release in the lockable glove compartment.

I always feel a twit when I look at the left side B pillar when starting to reverse.

The car may have a foot operated parking brake.

>>Roundabouts in N America are gripping viewing.
I recall rotarys that do not hover
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundaboutries

>> Four ways stops are another matter though - good point whomever raised them. The deal
>> is that you go in the order you arrive. Normally it's obvious sometimes it's a
>> bit of a test of nerve. You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly I'd
>> guess.

I had a quick read up on them

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-way_stop

Doesn't sound too bad, but they really should think about installing some roundabouts instead...
Roundabouts in N America are gripping viewing. They have two in Vail in CO, and they could install seats and charge for them.

All except the locals have NO idea how to use them and it's pandemonium. I'm told that in winter, when Texans are driving around in this funny white slippy stuff, it's even better
 Driving in Canada, any tips? - swiss tony
>> I agree. Ask a trusted auto driver about the differences with an auto.
>> e.g. Little engine braking especially downhill unless you change down. Kick down rather than change down. Creeping with feet off etc.
>> Remember trying to dip the clutch when driving an auto really wakes you up.

Exactly! an auto does take a little bit of getting used to, for the above points.

A tip I was given, and have used (now so used to swapping manual to auto and back I have no issues) is to tuck your left leg towards the seat, away from the pedals... this makes you remember the leg is redundant, (uncomfortable) as well as taking your foot away from the brake pedal until you get used to the 2 pedal school of motoring, probably less than 10 minutes and you will have it sussed... but you may need to repeat the trick after sleeping / walking around etc.

as Henry said, operating the clutch in an auto really wakes you up - as the car stops dead!!

>> >> I agree. Ask a trusted auto driver about the differences with an auto. A tip I was given and have used (now so used to swapping manual to auto and back I have no issues) is to tuck your left leg towards the seat away from the pedals... this makes you remember the leg is redundant (uncomfortable) as well as taking your foot away from the brake pedal until you get used to the 2 pedal school of motoring probably less than 10 minutes and you will have it sussed.

Brilliant advice.

>>, but you may need to repeat the trick after sleeping / walking around etc.

The above line is so so very very true.

>>as Henry said operating the 'Clutch' in an auto really wakes you up - as the car stops DEAD!!

An appropriate word methinks.

Driving is, or should be, all consuming. Never mind abroad (wrong side) with an unfamiliar Motor, Poss' a nervous Wife/Partner and an unhappy child (poss). Never underestimate anything. It may bite.

Best regards,

Martin
 Driving in Canada, any tips? - CGNorwich
Does anyone advocate the two feet method of driving an auto as endorsed by HJ. Always seemed more confusing to me
Covering the brake with the left foot when reversing an unfamiliar auto is a good plan.

I've never managed anything other than an emergency stop with my left foot though - exactly what you might want when in a parking situation, but highly undesirable at all other times.
>> Covering the brake with the left foot when reversing an unfamiliar auto is a good
>> plan.
>>
>> I've never managed anything other than an emergency stop with my left foot though -
>> exactly what you might want when in a parking situation but highly undesirable at all
>> other times.
>>
Doesn't apply to all. I trashed an exhaust of a nearly new Granada with the 2 foot method. Crap, Crap and more Crap. Another story though. Buy me a beer tomorrow and I'll tell ya.
After many years of driving autos I can drive an auto 2 footed, but I never do it straight after driving a manual!
the biggest problem I find is the fact that the left foot is used to pushing harder on the clutch pedal, once I'm in auto mode, I cant say I have any problems.
>> After many years of driving autos I can drive an auto 2 footed but I
>> never do it straight after driving a manual!
>> the biggest problem I find is the fact that the left foot is used to
>> pushing harder on the clutch pedal once I'm in auto mode I cant say I
>> have any problems.
>>
Wish I could concur ST
>> Wish I could concur ST
>>
Each person have different techniques and habits, Martin, I will say it took me a lot of time and practice before I could 2 foot....

funny(ish) story.... I had occasion to spend a day in a Merc A class clutchless manual when they 1st came out, I happily drove off, then expected it to change gear (knowing it was a manual (DOH)!
anyway, after that all was good, until I got in my own car, (manual) and tried putting in in gear without depressing the clutch..... DOH DOH DOH!!!!!!!!!
>> Does anyone advocate the two feet method of driving an auto as endorsed by HJ.
>> Always seemed more confusing to me
>>
NO.. See below!!
Or above
Goodnight!!
 Driving in Canada, any tips? - Herr Sandwichmann
I'd been driving for about ten years before taking my own car abroad, to Germany via Holland and Belgium. I was a little apprehensive about it but after a mile or two it felt very natural. I realise that you'll be driving an unfamiliar car with controls on the 'wrong' side and auto box but take it easy and you'll be fine. I've driven in the States (LA to be precise) and the drivers there were more forgiving and courteous than in London, to be sure. I daresay that you'll thoroughly enjoy the experience once you've acclimatised to it.

CM
 Driving in Canada, any tips? - Runfer D'Hills
Can't say I've ever had to think too hard about switching from manual to auto or LHD to RHD or driving on the right or left. I know some do but it has never felt like a difficult thing to me but I suppose everyone has their own party piece, just wish mine was more exciting !

What does confuse the sweat out of me though is the continental habit of putting the brakes levers on the "wrong" side of the handlebars on hired mountain bikes. Really bad news if you're trying to slither down steep loose stuff on a locked back wheel but in fact have just grabbed the front brake........... I blame Napoleon.
.......... I blame Napoleon.
>>
Over the handle bars and Bones-apart
Guys. I just wanted to say thanks to all that commented here.

I appreciate the advice and will try to take it onboard.

I am going to book a hotel at the airport so that I am not driving straight off the flight, and I am going to look into hiring an automatic for a day or two, just to get a feel for it.

Aside from that, your experiences have made me feel a bit more confident that, as long as I take it easy and keep focused, I should be OK.

Perhaps being a new driver will help me, in the sense that I am still not in a comfort zone here in the UK, which might stop me from getting complacent over the pond.

Thanks again.
Latest Forum Posts