Motoring Discussion > Reversing messages - eh? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 8

Reversing messages - eh? - hawkeye
I spent a jolly forty minutes at the local tip, sorry, recycling centre, yesterday what with Mrs H filling the trailer with goodness knows what and then being trapped while they moved some skips around. As the trucks backed up I heard a double bleep and a loud but indecipherable message. Eventually, I translated the racket as "Warning, vehicle in operation".

What?

Must have been recorded by a consultant; while technically correct I suppose, it was particularly uninformative. Whatever was wrong with "Vehicle reversing" ?

Was it one of you who was responsible? If so, admit it now and stand still while I lob this custard pie at you. Do I detect the delicate touch of an EU directive here?
 Reversing messages - eh? - Ted

I think you read what's left of my mind, Hawk !
I've been in the workshop at home for a few days with a new railway being built about 40 ft away It's become more noticable in the last couple of weeks that everything that moves seems to bleep constantly. I don't mind the machines or pile-drivers but this constant, repetetive bleeping is gradually eroding my will to live.
I suppose it's H&S again, but there's no public access to the trackbed and I'm sure the workers are pretty savvy about avoiding stuff.

Ted

PS....' When red light shows, stop here '.........could be.... ' Stop on red ' !
 Reversing messages - eh? - Bellboy
caution this vehicle IS reversing is my favourite
dont buy one of those 21 volt bulbs with the beeper built in from a famous internet auction site because the beep doesnt beep loud enough
 Reversing messages - eh? - bathtub tom
Daughter had a habit of reversing into things.

I bought a cheap doorbell sounder from Maplins, about the size of a fingernail. Dead easy to wire it into the reversing light circuit and hide the sounder in a rear light cluster.

It concentrated her mind wonderfully and despite the efforts of boyfriend to remove it, they couldn't find it. The car still had it when it was sold!
 Reversing messages - eh? - Dave_
I like your style tom!

>> everything that moves seems to bleep constantly

I think the rationale behind this is that there are "blind spots" from the driving position, such as with scissor lifts and even telehandlers - so something needs to be done to draw attention to them in motion. And I suppose that if the railway gangers were as bright and alert to their surroundings as you and I (well you anyway) then they'd probably have chosen a career in something other than railway construction...
 Reversing messages - eh? - MD
So unforgiving. The Training was never enough.
 Reversing messages - eh? - hawkeye
>>
>> I bought a cheap doorbell sounder from Maplins ...
>>

I have one wired to the offside trailer indicator. Returning home from a hard day's graft involves reversing with hazards on from a single track road with no pavement into the yard where I may find a couple of cars, a caravan and visitors' bicycles. I think it helps pedestrians; there are no reversing lights on the trailer, single socket electrics.

Getting anal about reversing light bleepers, there's one on the caravan as well. Silent but deadly going backwards; no exhaust noise you see. The caravan one earths through the sidelights so it's silent when the lights are on so as not to wake my slumbering neighbours.

AFAIK totally illegal as well. :-o
 Reversing messages - eh? - bathtub tom
>>The caravan one earths through the sidelights so it's silent when the lights are on so as not to wake my slumbering neighbours.

Ingenious! Considerate also.
 Reversing messages - eh? - Zero
And that is the problem, There are so many warning beeps around a busy yard/site/work zone that it just becomes background noise and slips too easily into ignored mode.
Latest Forum Posts