Motoring Discussion > Hopelessly undecided Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 41

Hopelessly undecided - Runfer D'Hills
OK - As some will know Mrs D'b would like a new car. Now she has decided it should be an SUV. She doesn't want another small car and isn't keen on MPVs. She doesn't need an SUV but that's what she wants. She's a Cheshire lass after all, all big hair and heels.

So, anything for a quiet life.

Budget is fairly ludicrously flexible. Anything from a well kept 5 year old through to new would be do-able. It'll do about 300 miles a week so diesel might be preferable but a petrol which doesn't have too much of a drink problem is acceptable too.

We are apparently thinking, CRV, Freelander, Qashqai, Rav4 sort of territory but even bigger and beefier would be OK I'm assured.

On a serious note it'll get used for work commuting, kids and granny/grandad shifting, bike carrying and so on.

We tend to buy cars to keep and use long term so reliability, ease of maintainance etc take priority over depreciation.

Any other suggestions or recommendations ?

Feel free to lob in your tuppence worth !
 Hopelessly undecided - Iffy
A Kuga must be in trap one, surely?

Hopelessly undecided - Zero
> She's a Cheshire lass after all, all big hair and heels.

Ah, well has to be an Escalade then

Seriously, I would think only the Rav4 or the CRV fit that bill.
Of course a Kuga. Blimey I hadn't thought of that. Thats got to be worth a look too right enough.
...Of course a Kuga...

I had a look in one when I was buying the CC3.

Nice, familiar Focus interior, but I struggled to get in the blinkin' thing.

It was too high to throw my left leg in from the ground, and also too high to sit in sideways and then swing both legs in at once.

I suppose it would come with practice, but it killed the showroom appeal for me.

Hopelessly undecided - Avant
Sorry to ask more questions, but does she need 4wd? - and where's her dividing line between MPV and SUV? (I'm not sure myself, so can't blame her if she too is in doubt.)

Also does she need 7 seats? Maybe the Ford C-Max and S-Max are worth trying, as you've both been happy with the blue oval. (Edit - or Kuga of course).

Perhaps she ought to get together with Espadrille who isn't far away in Manchester....

The CRV could be the best of that class: but the petrol is thirsty and there have been some question marks over Honda diesel reliability - as, sadly, there are over any Freeloader - sorry, Freelander.

Last thought - Skoda Yeti?
Last edited by: Avant on Mon 12 Apr 10 at 22:24
No she absolutely doesn't "need" a 4x4. But...she wants one ! Yeti is a good thought. In fairness I shouldn't think she'd mind if it was a 2WD cheapskate version of a 4x4 actually. It's the look is the thing apparently.

>> of a 4x4 actually. It's the look is the thing apparently.
>>

Rav then.
 Hopelessly undecided - swiss tony
Suzuki Vit?
See it's hard isn't it ?

:-)
 Hopelessly undecided - Stuu
In my experience of taking women car shopping, ive found that the only way to preserve ones sanity is simply take them to every car dealership that MAY have something they will like, in your case something vaguely chunky, and just walk behind them while they look for something to click with them.
My sister damn near killed me with 'something I dont like about it' - it took me two weeks solid to get her into her Vitara and it was using this technique that saved me :-)
 Hopelessly undecided - teabelly
Go to the nearest waitrose. Walk round the car park. If there is something there she likes go to a dealership that has one! It'll probably come down to colour and whether it's easy to park or not. Or drive around Wilmslow for a bit and see what you see most of and get her one of those :-)

There's always those volvo xc90 thingies that J Clarkson raves about.

A citroen berlingo multispace has all the space you could want. Monumentally uncool and not cheshire though.
 Hopelessly undecided - Dog
I would suggest you take a look at SUV's from the land of the rising Won.
 Hopelessly undecided - Skoda
New Hyundai Santa Fe for my money and pay the £5 extra for the "Premium" edition.
 Hopelessly undecided - Auntie Lockbrakes
I second the above: go see Hyundai.

Alternatively, spend half a day touring all/any of the showrooms near to where you live. Keep an open mind and see what they've got in stock, see what special offers are going down, see how helpful the staff are. Good dealer support and servicing is a BIG plus and will make your lives easier after purchase. That'll weed out a few cars/brands quite quickly.
 Hopelessly undecided - movilogo
Hyundai ix35
 Hopelessly undecided - Herr Sandwichmann
How about going leftfield a bit - Octavia Scout estate? Or has Mrs. D'b ruled out an estate? Plenty of room, holds value, reliable, etc. Otherwise Kuga, Rav or Yeti, I suppose.

Are they still flogging the ghastly Nitro at 50% reduction on Drivethedeal?
 Hopelessly undecided - Fenlander
I like that Scout Estate.... and of course there is the new Superb Estate 4x4... they look great with a cream leather interior.
 Hopelessly undecided - kensitas
...they look great with a cream leather interior.

..for about 5 minutes - then they have the faded & grubby ambience of a 'Liberace lounge' that's seen its glory days log gone.
 Hopelessly undecided - Londoner
Humph - you're a rich guy. What about a BMW X1? You can get 4WD, they are all diesels, and all have great fuel economy and performance.
They are only 4 seaters though, and there is the image problem, as well as the initial outlay.

Don't let anyone put SWMBO off 4WD. She'll be laughing when we are all stuck in the snow next Winter. :-)
 Hopelessly undecided - Dog
>>> Humph - you're a rich guy. What about a BMW X1? <<<

He may well be a 'rich guy', but one has to bring the fact that he is a Scot into the equation :)
 Hopelessly undecided - RattleandSmoke
A Land Rover Defender - she will never have an accident because she will never drive it :).
 Hopelessly undecided - hawkeye
Citroen C-Crosser; it's got chevrons so it must be OK ;-)
Dunno about rich !

"Occasionally flush / Usually muddle through / Periodically skint" would be a more accurate assessment frankly !

However, a car could be funded at the moment.

Lots of good suggestions coming through. I'd like her to have an RX8 so I could play with it at weekends.

Work to do, work to do.......

Hopelessly undecided - Boxsterboy
A Squashy 4x2 with the 1.5dCi. And I bet she doesn't even realise it isn't four wheel drive!
 Hopelessly undecided - mikeyb
Kia Sorrento (new one) looks nice plus it has what is claimed to be a very good 2.2 derv unit and the seven year warranty.

Jeep patriot

VW Tiguan
 Hopelessly undecided - -
Yep Sorento or its sister Santa Fe, nice auto's too.

It'll be a Kuga that turns up at D'bout Manor...2.5T?
It's certainly very near the top of the list. 2.5 tempting but 2.0 diesel would win out.
Jack the springs up high on the mondy, and sticks some spots on the front? Might fool her.
 Hopelessly undecided - -
Just a thought do any of the possibles come without a DPF, or is LadyD's driving routine enough to keep it happy?
Good point GB. She drives 16 miles to work and of course the same back again. All A roads apart from a bit of town work but at the times she does it there is heavy traffic and it's all a bit stop start. DPF might be a problem. Qashqai 1.5d doesn't have one but the 2.0d does. Not sure about the Kuga or any of the other contenders. Well worth checking out.

Thanks.
Kuga has a DPF, same as the CC3.

But it's a Ford, so it's a properly engineered installation.

Put another way, no bother provided it gets a regular belt.
 Hopelessly undecided - rtj70
>> Kuga has a DPF, same as the CC3....But it's a Ford, so it's a properly engineered installation.

Oh dear I hope you continue with good luck with the CC3 ;-)

Hopelessly undecided - DP
>> A Squashy 4x2 with the 1.5dCi. And I bet she doesn't even realise it isn't
>> four wheel drive!

Seconded. The out-laws have one and they are well chuffed with it. Typically peachy smooth Renault diesel, refined, well kitted out, and surprisingly perky for an ickle engine in a big car. They're getting 46 mpg with mostly short run / town driving, and well over 50 on a run.
 Hopelessly undecided - Alanovich
Mazda CX-7?
Just been to have a look at a mildly second hand Brera 2.2SV. Gorgeous !

Yes, I know it's not an SUV
Yes, I know it'd be rubbish as a granny transport
Yes, I know it would be even worse at shifting mountain bikes
Yes, I know it would really be for me to play with at weekends
Yes, I know it would break down

But, it's her birthday soon.....might get away with it if I buy a bow..........

Hopelessly undecided - Avant
You could get away with it if you keep valiant old Betsy the Mondeo.
 Hopelessly undecided - nick1975
Man up

Range Rover and convert to LPG

Job done
 Hopelessly undecided - -

>> Range Rover and convert to LPG
>>
>> Job done....frequently by H D'bout's grateful mechanic..;)

runs and ducks for cover as both satisfied RR owners come for blood.
 Hopelessly undecided - Biggles
Dacia Duster?

Not sure if a UK model is planned though.

Biggles
 Hopelessly undecided - Lygonos
Since you might want a play at the weekend....

Forester 2.5XT.

More reliable, faster, and less thirsty than an RX8 ;-)
Latest Forum Posts