Motoring Discussion > How much cheaper should a pre reg car be? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 7

How much cheaper should a pre reg car be? - RattleandSmoke
Phoned the dealer to see if they had a delivery date for the Panda. They said they have just got two in but one is registered and the other may be. He then phoned me back and said it is pre registered with delivery miles.

It means I could get the car this week. Now you may remember the cars have gone down since I ordered it, I paid £6400 but its now £5995 on FIATs website. So how much should I pay for this pre reg car? The dealer has simply said he doesn't know much it will cost yet.
 How much cheaper should a pre reg car be? - RVRover
A pre-reg car should obviously be cheaper, as it has either been ordered and not proceeded with, is destined to be a demo car, or has been registered by the dealer to claim bonus. I have usually got 10-15% off, depends whether you place any real value on being the first owner.
However you say you have "paid £6400" for a car now on offer at £5995?If you have signed an order you are probably stuffed - so get the car you want, colour, spec , etc and at least be the first owner.That's unless the dealer honours the price reduction or offers extras, eg free servicing, goodies, or extended warranty.Worth a try.
If nothing signed bargain hard on the pre-reg and pay £5,500.I got a Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 five door last year, list £10,300 paid £7,400 (and my daughter was still first owner).
Good luck.
 How much cheaper should a pre reg car be? - sherlock47
One thing to remember is that many insurance companies will pay out for a replacement car if you are the first registered owner and it is written off in the first 12 months. A pre-reg car will only attract payment for its market/replacement value. OK - maybe only a small chance but worth something.
 How much cheaper should a pre reg car be? - rtj70
Bargain low and if they do not offer a good price wait for the new one!
Just phoned them back they said the car would be cheaper but the over all cost of finance means it would not be any cheaper so I am going to wait for the new one in May. He said he has put on a note if they get any more cars in the same spec to let me have it then they use the car which is supposed to be mine as a pre reg car.

So it is mid may or possibly before.
 How much cheaper should a pre reg car be? - PeteW
Have you actually done all the paperwork/paid a deposit to order a specific car and also completed the finance paperwork which presumably as a PCP is tied to a specific car as well? Just sounds a little odd to be contemplating or be offered a pre-reg instead at this stage?
Apologies if this has been answered in the numerous previous threads Rattle!
Last edited by: Everest Pete on Mon 12 Apr 10 at 19:16
Not signed anything yet, thats going to be signed when they bring the car to Manchester. And yep the PCP is signed to a specific car. I won't be able to get a tradtional loan with a decent rate of interest because my accounts are not certified. A PCP is a cheaper way of me getting car credit.

How much cheaper should a pre reg car be? - mikeyb
I take the view that if its pre reg then they couldn't sell it therefore brand new ones are being discounted to so I would expect a reasonable amount off.

SWMBO's sharan was pre reg - think list was 22K at the time, we got it for 16, but they would have done us a brand new one for 18
Latest Forum Posts