Motoring Discussion > Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six
Thread Author: oldnotbold Replies: 20

Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - oldnotbold
£10-£15k on a Focus CC didn't make sense, so we splashed out £3.4k on a very tidy 1999 graphite metallic 2.8 Audi Cabriolet.

A V6 is good for the soul, and not that bad on the bank balance - it showed 28.5 mpg keeping up with the post-Easter traffic from Bournemouth to Oxfordshire yesterday pm.

It's been loved, not abused, too. Full leather, AC, heated seats, Blaupunkt auto-changer, 17" Audi alloys and a good SH.

Mrs ONB likes it a lot.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - Woodster
Pocket money today, and what a very good looking car. Almost timeless. I wouldn't have thought you could get one for that price, sounds like a steal to me. Enjoy!
From a trader, too.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - Zero
Nice toy at a nice price!
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - Bellboy
lovely cars
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - Redviper
>> lovely cars

I agree, they still look great as well, but IMO Audi's generally do age well
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - Stuu
Congrats, very nice motors.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - Boxsterboy
Nice car.

I have been tempted by a 306 cabriolet for the summer. Not a 6 cylinder, but a delicious shape, which is essential for a soft-top, and they drive nicely too.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - Herr Sandwichmann
Jealous. Now that IS a nice Audi.

CM
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - Iffy
....£10-£15k on a Focus CC didn't make sense, so we splashed out £3.4k on a very tidy 1999 graphite metallic 2.8 Audi Cabriolet...

Speaking as a CC3 owner, I can see where you're coming from, provided the Audi is not going to have to do too much work.

I do around 14K a year, which is not suitable use for any 10 or 11-year-old car.

More importantly, welcome to the world of open top motoring - it's great.

I thought I was too grumpy for a convertible, but I wouldn't want to be without one now.

Far better to put the roof down, than turn the air con on.

As someone said to me the other day, we have a good climate in this country for convertibles because it doesn't tend to get boiling hot.

Driving an open top in southern Europe in high summer cannot be much fun.

Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - Mike Hannon
We got on OK last summer with ambient temperatures of 35C and not running the aircon much. You need headgear of course but, oddly enough, the sun seems to be more of a problem when we have the sunroof open in the other car.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - nick1975
Very sloaney. Does your missus look like Princess Di?
Last edited by: nick1975 on Wed 14 Apr 10 at 12:50
"Does your missus look like Princess Di? "

Yes, but with better legs ;-)
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - Mapmaker
>>I do around 14K a year, which is not suitable use for any 10 or 11-year-old car.

What utter nonsense! ;)

I have never enjoyed driving a car more than my 2.3 '93 Audi 100 which I must have bought in '04. Best £600 I ever spent in my life, and the most comfortable motorway miles ever. I don't miss filling the 80 litre tank though... actually, I do, as my Subaru has a tiny tank and I'm forever having to fill up.
"I do around 14K a year, which is not suitable use for any 10 or 11-year-old car."

I've done that and more in a succession of 405 TD estates, the current one is a '96, so I'm breaking your rules big time. I've had cheap, comfortable motoring from them all, and often done 500 miles in a day. A drive shaft went on one on the way home, but it didn't die until on the drive, and that's the limit of their unreliability.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - Armel Coussine
Nice motor onb. But I don't like droptop repmobiles all that much, so I'm not quite envious except for the silken six... If you had bought an Alfa 166 I would have been envious though.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - Bellboy
watch it all
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgG1wF7OZn4
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - mikeyb
Mmmmmm sounds nice.

A Good few years back I had a 98 A6 2.8 - I guess it has the same engine, in which case it sounds fab to, and as you say not to thirsty. In mine I could nurse 36 mpg if I drove like a nun, and around 30 most of the time
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - Avant
There's something special about a six, isn't there: it was the main reason, when looking for a fun car two yeara ago, I went for the Z3 rather than the obvious MX-5. The MX-5 is a fine car but I don't regret it, particularly with the unexpected bonus that the Z3 returns a consistent 32 mpg.

I can balance a glass of water on the bonnet of the Z3 when it's idling and it won't fall off. The Audi V6 is a great engine but I think a straight-six has the edge.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - Mapmaker
I've never had more than 5.

Sticking my nose under a friend's V8 Jaguar money pit, what a handsome beast...

:(
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The Joy of Six - legacylad
After being initially disappointed that i could not buy an MX5 because my elderly mother could get neither in nor out (only a few times a month but still necessary) i am now getting used to the 330 Ci ragtop. That 6 cylinder is a real peach. My ex MIL had a succession of 520's, one of which I bought off her, but my larger capacity engine seems even smoother.
Glad I bought it in snowy January!
Latest Forum Posts