Motoring Discussion > Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 123

Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Stuu
My car is up for sale, had loads of interest today, one guy is driving 200 miles tomorrow to have a look, which seems like a serious buyer to me - I wouldnt go that far!

Anyhow, ive got it up for £1800, which certainly seems to be generating plenty of calls, but how hardline do you think I should be on the price? It has a brand spanking new MOT and is about as good as you could expect a used car to be, both in service history and condition - id sell it to a close friend its that straight. With that in mind, I was thinking of not dropping below £1750 and sticking to it - safe bet?
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - bathtub tom
Don't drop a penny. Once you start, you don't know how low you'll go.

Get someone to 'phone you while the prospective buyer's looking round it and say loudly "I've got someone looking at it now, I'll take your number and call you back to save you a wasted journey". Concentrates the mind of the current looker wonderfully.
Oh I do know how low ill go, I would rather not sell it than give it away, its too good for that.

Ive already got people piling up. All quiet until last night, then madness. One cant get over until next wkend but said if its as described, he wants it - was very disappointed to hear I had a likely buyer tomorrow. Its such a responsibility this power over buyers.
I did once close the door on someone who wouldnt pay the asking price and he then got a 5 minute tongue lashing from his wife in their native language ( the volume suggsted as much ), then a meak knock at the door and the offer of the full price. That was priceless.
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Runfer D'Hills
A trader once tried that phone trick on me while I was viewing and considering buying a car from him. It was laughably obvious. I walked. Never a wonderful plan to deliberately insult a buyer's intelligence.

A good salesman recognises that he is equipped with two ears and one mouth and uses those facilities in direct proportion.

Let the buyer chat, listen to their reasons for wanting the car. Wait a few minutes before dropping comments into the conversation which reassure them of the wisdom of their choice.
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Iffy
You can truthfully, but not boastfully, say you've had a lot of interest in the car.

On t'other hand, any buyer is going to want to feel he has got something from you.

So I think the answer to your question is £1.750.

It's tempting to say you've under-priced the car, but it's likely there will be lots of buyers for a correctly priced one, and no buyers for one that's over-priced.

A supermini in good nick is always a saleable vehicle, more so with rising fuel prices.

Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - MVP
Stick to your price, I'm sure you'll get it
Such an irritating process this has been though - people arrange, then change, forget to ring. Grrrr.
Ive never had quite so many people be quite so flakey about coming to see a car, is it so hard to set a time and stick to it? - whenever I sell something under £1k, its gone in a week and people just turn up with cash ready to go. A higher price doesnt include 24 hr availability on my part!!

Im sure it will sell, I just like promptness and when your being asked to stay in and wait for someone, for them to let you know if they cant make it that day! Im so glad I dont sell for a living I really am.
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Auntie Lockbrakes
That's the big downside to selling privately Stu. Any old Tom, Dick or Harriet can rock-up to your house at any time, insult you, abuse your intelligence, offer silly money and then get snotty with you as if you've messed them around...
Ah what a week this is trying to sell a car. I swear, every person that phones up has the thickest foreign accent imaginable which mobile to mobile, I simply cant understand half of what they say - I do have trouble with a few accents on the phone anyway such as scouse which may as well be white noise, not sure if my ears are getting past their best although in person I never have any trouble.
Plenty of interest but one buyer who is coming to see the car on the weekend said I was under-selling it and she reckoned it was worth closer to £2k - I like people like that! Very har cars to value when theres only ten or so cars even half similar on the market at any one time.
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - RattleandSmoke
When I sold my Corsa, I had it for £295 (it was ten years old, no MOT, no tax, needed a new headgasket, tracking, tyre etc) and I must have got ten calls in the space of about 15 minutes.

I would let them all turn up at once and just let them fight.

Something similar happened when we bought my dads Fiesta people just kept turning up to look at it so we just had to buy it in the end.
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - MrTee43
Hey, thats how David Wickens started his company.

British Car Auctions.

www.gethampshire.co.uk/news/s/2007738_auctions_magnate_began_by_selling_just_one_old_car
Apparently my car is only worth £1200. Honestly I dont know which way to go now, I cant hang onto it forever but £1200!!
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Auntie Lockbrakes
Says who?! Some self-appointed expert tyre-kicker who's dropped by? Rubbish!
The only self-appointed tyre kicker that turned up in two weeks. New MOT, plenty of tax, spotlessly clean, lots of service history all up to date and yet 3 phone calls and one person turns up. Was advertised for £1800 which seemed very fair to me and one of the cheapest Charades available esp with a new MOT. Have I just been unlucky?
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - -
I think the problem may be the car's rarity Stu, probably only people like us that know what they are, and likely suitable buyers are missing it altogether thinking it's a party game, also maybe Daihatsu dealers being in short supply won't reassure a nervous buyer.

I wonder if altering the wording if you have it on flea bay might help....such as NOT Corsa Ka Picanto 106 etc, that would bring it up on young ladies searches as they go for the default (lacking in imagination like many do) search.
It looks like a garden shed - not helped by being parked in the main pic on hardstanding next to a fence made of those dreadful lap panels.

It is a revolting colour.

I'm not trying to be harsh or insulting, but I think that is how many buyers will see it.

As gb says, those interested in cars know Daihatsus are as good as any other.

Many buyers of a cheap hatchback are not interested in cars and to them a Daihatsu is just something they've never heard of that looks odd.

Someone near me has the same car in the same colour, and I think it looks dreadful.

I would have to make a big effort to make my head over-rule my heart to buy one of these.

Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Bellboy
Everything looks ok to me
pictures are clear
good full description
2 contact numbers
reasonable price
unfortunately as has been said its a bit of a niche car and wont come up on someones radar unless they know how to tweak autotrader
it would sell well on a pitch or even probably your local rag if its half decent
in a recession you always find its mainly foreign type people who have ready cash and go for oddball cars im afraid,you just have to bite your tongue and wait for the right person unfortunately this is one of the reasons i dont buy certain models of car because i cant do with the hassles of phone conversations trying to run the car down followed up by large families visiting lots of spitting and derogatory offers for good cars,lifes too short so i keep to mainstream european brands,sad really
but hey...

good luck by the way as there really is a bum out there for your seat
I think it will sell as it will make a fantastic buy to some sort of person but it will take time.

It does look ugly and I will be concerned how easy parts will cost then also insurance will be very high for new drivers because body panels will be hard to get.

It is probably worth more to you than anybody else.
Was just reading the description again and as others said I think you need to do a bit of marketing.

It is clearly a good car and I like the fact you have put good tyres on it and not Wanli that alone shows it has been cared for. I think the colour will put a lot of people off though.
Well yes hopefully it will sell.
Parts are very easy to come by Rattle, theres no shortage of genuine bits and they arent any more expensive than anything else ive ever owned except maybe the Reliant which was small change for everything just about. Insurance is group 5 so while its not low low, its not excessive.

I bit the bullet today and changed my insurance to the Mazda and ive stuck the Charade in my garage so he will stay clean atleast. It will be advertised until it sells now, ill just have to keep forking out for the advertising and take the hit.

The colour is certainly an aquired taste, but I take heart that its not pink and yesterday I saw a tangerine orange Lexus IS200, so it could be worse!
Garden shed comment is a bit off since an awful lot of small cars are exactly the same shape near enough and I defy you to find me a lilac garden shed ;-)

Ive sold far less mainstream cars than this which is why I find it so perplexing that this one is sticking. I sold a Daewoo Nubira some years ago and I was shocked that anyone would choose one of them over, well, anything else really, but it went like a shot. Maybe it is just the recession.
I guess when you think about it, you have to tick alotta boxes before someone will even pick up the phone, so we shall see.

Noted on the pics, ill stick it out the front somewhere and take some new ones. I cant do much about the neighbours fence although there will be some willow stuff covering that bit in the near future as I hate it too.
Stu then you need to make clear on the add that parts are easy to get hold off.

The car is unkown I don't think I have ever seen any. You have sold your car now you need to also sell the Daihatsu Charade so people know what it is.

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 18 Apr 10 at 12:36
Hows these look?

i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/stunorthants/SDC10238.jpg
i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/stunorthants/SDC10237.jpg
i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/stunorthants/SDC10236.jpg
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Bagpuss
I would try taking a photo from the front three quarter angle at ground level with the front wheels turned towards the camera. This perspective should make the car appear less narrow and top heavy. I would also suggest a background with lots of greenery which will give a nice contrast to the colour. In the description I would select a different colour rather than "purple" which I think will put a lot of potential buyers off.
...Noted on the pics...

Might make only a small difference, but the car needs to be in its environment, not looking like it's in a back garden.

On the drive, on the road, suggesting freedom, travel etc.

Another small point, I'd take all the extra mats out of the footwells - looks less granny-like, which I think is one the car's problems.

To me, the description on ebay is just a bit too chatty.

Whether it is or not, it's not worked, has it?

So try something a bit shorter and more straightforward.

People are very conservative (with a small c) when spending this sort of money on a car.

You have a model and colour that is a little 'way out' for the market, so the description needs to bring it back in a bit by being informative, but also reassuring, almost to the point of dullness.

Edit: Just seen the pics - much better.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Sun 18 Apr 10 at 12:48
Well ive changed the Ebay one a bit and it has been trimmed down and I will adjust it again in 10 days if its not having the desire effect - as of tomorrow it will be exclusively on Ebay classifieds which Im not sold on yet, but mines the cheapest Charade on there by some margin, so ill appear first if someone searches on them.
28 days for £15.49 is half the price of AT and for twice as long so worth a punt atleast. If that fails it will go back on AT, hopefully to fresh eyes.
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Skoda
Might be worth trying advertising in the places you can advertise for free (local churches, community centres, supermarkets etc. etc.) on the logic that those places are mostly read by bargain hunter customers who might be open to an oddball car for the attraction of getting a bargain?

They might be real hard work customers though. Or they might be clueless about cars and just serial bargain hunters -- plenty of them around.

got to say the pictures in the street do look much much better i always do an underbonnet one to show the wriggly bits if its nice and clean under there
didnt know you had it on ebay i looked autotrader to be honest if you cant sell it locally or in autotrader then normally you have them a while
Underbonnet one on its way later today :-)

AT has usually been good to me but it yielded 3 phone calls and one viewing with a silly offer ( the aforementioned family group style thing ). I may splash out on the full mag and online ad next time on AT if ebay doesnt yield results. The good thing about Ebay classifieds is that you can monitor how many people view the page and who is watching it, so you get an idea of traffic for the ad.
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Fenlander
Just had a look at your ad as I was listing a trailer on Ebay. Genuinely surprised you haven't had a sale as I've found Ebay very good for selling cars. I agree too the fact that you seem in control on Ebay is good... like the watchers, page view info and ability to edit ad.

Until a few years ago I was involved with the service trade, never sold cars myself but did loads of introductions between buyer and seller if I knew the car was OK. Yours would have gone in days around here to the steady stream of folks who wanted a tidy small economical car under £2k. Your asking price looks spot on.

However the description is just too wordy and personal with several things that come across as negatives to the average looker like the swapped CD player and driveshaft issue. Making references to my little car and him are quite offputting too. If you'll forgive me I'd shorten it to something like this...

Excellent 2003 Daihatsu Charade1.0 EL Hatchback. Power steering, electric windows and CD player.
Bought by me from a Daihatsu main dealer in May 2008 and has been a great car.
Low mileage with service history from main dealer plus my trusted local garage.
The tax is only £35 a year, around 58 mpg in normal use.
I have all the service books and handbook plus copies of receipts for work that I’ve had carried out. The service book is stamped from new until present day. There are two sets of keys.
>>>>List service details here exactly as you had<<<<
Well cared for with just a few nicks here and there, however overall extremely clean.
I can make myself available most days with a few hours notice for viewings. Keen price as my new car has arrived and I need the space on the driveway.
Payment in cash when collected.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 20 Apr 10 at 08:03
Its been altered in that vein. Its already yielded an offer of £1500 but I thought that was just a tad low.
I actually included the driveshaft thing because it was, aside from is there a buy it now price, the top question when it was as an auction and I suspect some of the lower mileage cars may not have had theirs done. Still, ill bow to your better jugement!
>>>Still, ill bow to your better jugement!

Ah no... It's all just opinion on here... I don't seek to be better!

Yep £1500 was a bit low. I don't suscribe to the the problems with colour or shape as others have mentioned. In my past experience folks wanting a genuine tidy small car have been far more willing to compromise on issues like that than say the £20k BMW buyer whio wants it all spot on.

Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Dog
It might be worth dropping a hint to any punter who says "wossa charade then" that the Daihatsu Charade has been 'successfully' marketed in the UK for nigh on 33 years in one form or another.

Why is it that when I spell check Daihatsu it comes up with Hiatus :)
I think Fenlander is spot on with the description.

'Dealer history' is all you need to say.

If the buyer asks - most won't - you can go into the stuff about driveshafts and cambelts.

Knocking the ad and pics into shape has already produced one offer, which I agree is a bit low.

A bit more refining and I'm sure you'll get nearer £2,000.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Tue 20 Apr 10 at 10:07
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Runfer D'Hills
Thought about Sure-Sell Stu ? Might not get top dollar but you can always put a reserve on and it gets the job done quickly. I've used them and was happy enough with the result. Hassle has a value too in my opinion.
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Old Sock
Not sure about those tinted windows, Stu - no matter how professionally done :-(

If it's not costing you anything other than listing fees, just play the waiting game.
Im waiting alright now, its what overdrafts are for isnt it :-)

The Mazda is going into the garage on Thurs to have this exhaust leak identified ( if its possible ill just patch it since Im not keeping it that long ) and he is going to see whats causing it to miss every now and again.

Theres 4 people watching my ad atm although quite why anyone would watch a classified ad is beyond me, you either make contact or you dont, well thats how I buy a car.
When I'm selling something on ebay I'll watch similar ones to see what's sold and how much for. Lots of folks do it. So all/most of your watchers could be other sellers??
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Zero
you wait till near the end, when the seller is getting a little desperate.
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Buddy
nice one, Fenlander - almost a masterclass in marketing (catching attention)
They're Stu's words Buddy... I just pruned out what I judged to be chatty excess.
The classifieds dont work like the auctions though, you dont get to see a final price, the only thing you know is if it sells before the ad runs out of time. I understand the logic of watching auctions, I have done it, but a classified ad is different.
Differences accepted but I still watch classifieds.... I have two classified trailers in watch at the moment as comparisons to mine just to see if they are selling quickly. And of course perhaps some of your watchers are folks on here??

Re BCA Suresell that Humph mentioned. I looked into it when I sold my under £2k Mondeo a few months ago. The fees take too much out of a car at that price. Seems it costs about £400 to sell a £20k motor but still costs £250 to sell one at £2k.

Got to remember too that the buyer has to allow for their buyers premium and doc fees at BCA. Say someone was willing to pay £1650 for the Charade then they'd need to bid a max of £1500 to allow for the fees (guestimated £150 but not too far out). Then your selling fees would be £230 leaving just £1270 for what you receive.
Picked up another 3 watchers this morning. Will see if anything happens on the wkend when most people want to view.
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Mapmaker
I'd get rid of the "my little car" and "him" and "to a good home".

Reading it, I imagine I'm buying from a little old granny who has been wearing out the clutch for fun. And somebody who is going to be really difficult to deal with.

FFS it's a lump of old tin!
Oh dont get your knickers in a knot, what kind of granny is it you imagine that has a wife and uses Ebay? You have some very odd ideas about clutch burning pensioners for sure, umm, FFS... :-)
I'd get rid of all the stuff about services - it's not a sexy part of motoring, yet it's taking up half of the ad.

'Dealer history' is all you need.

Also strike out the bit about it hasn't got c/locking, pointing out a negative is never a good idea.

Remove the remaining reference to 'he', and use either 'I have', or the correct short form 'I've'.

Might not matter to you, but it could to a prospective buyer.

Ive made a few more adjustments, but Im gonna leave it now, if it doesnt sell, so be it, Im gonna forget about it for the time being.
yes stick it in the garage as a heirloom
remember to leave handbrake off though
good luck :-)
...Im gonna forget about it for the time being...

Don't blame you, there's only so much time and effort one can invest in these things.

Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - CGNorwich

When selling anything you have to remember that nothing has any intrinsic worth, the only value is what someone is prepared to pay. You have tested the market, the market says your car is worth £1,200. Lower the price to near the market value and it will sell.
>>> Ive made a few more adjustments, but Im gonna leave it now, if it doesnt sell, so be it <<<

Call that an ad? THIS is an ad ~ preview.tinyurl.com/y5hx9t2

:)
Well now all that makes mine look a bit empty. Lost me at the second paragraph...

>> Call that an ad? THIS is an ad ~

a mere beginner, for bull this takes some beating....next...

tinyurl.com/y28pywq
gb,

You're a man who knows something about these, I believe.

What do you make of this one?
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Netsur
Check to odometer to see if the engine is running................

Shurely shom mishtake?
>>> a mere beginner, for bull this takes some beating <<<

Frankly Sir - My flabber is ghasted!!!
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - hillman1
Wow, and it is only about 4 miles from where I live. Would love to meet the person, let alone see the car :-)
cant stand nice old mercs with the chrome hide the rust add on wheel arches
evil horrible and over here
as for those extra indicators on the front panel well words fail me
at least i use a "i been to bognor sticker" on rust spots
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - crocks
>>at least i use a "i been to bognor sticker" on rust spots

Surely that must put off more people than the rust. :-)
its the way eye stick em ;-)
Beauty is, as they say, in the eye of the beholder - but in this case a white stick would come in handy :-)

Love that '500SE' on the top of the radiator grille - a real touch of class....
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Boxsterboy
Can you imagine going to see this car? Given all this verbal garbage on the ad, imagine having to talk to the guy??

Having said that, the car doesn't look too bad, good history, etc.
Last edited by: Boxsterboy on Thu 22 Apr 10 at 11:53
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - FotheringtonTomas
Where is the advertisement?
I also loved the badge on the grille. Im suprised it doesnt have mirror tint windows and gold trim.
I get bored reading a listing that long, too many pictures aswell although worth watching to see if all that hot air actually results in a good price. If it does, you would have to hand it to him really.
This message has been hidden as many of our users have rated it as offensive.
You may view it by clicking here
1. Being pictured in a council estate rather lets it down.

2. It needs new screws to secure the front numberplate to replace the rusty ones.

3. Does the driver's door match - it looks to be a different colour.

4. The engine has been cleaned...

Nice looking motor though.
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Pat
>>>1. Being pictured in a council estate rather lets it down <<<

What a presumptious and pompous statement.

Pat

>> What a presumptious and pompous statement.
>>
>> Pat

What an ignorant statement.
At the risk of this thread degenerating further (as some others have), let's just assume the owner was collecting his 'payday loan' monies.

There you go - two stereotypes for the price of one :-)
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Lygonos
Basically the seller has bought an apparently well looked after (for 94k miles) 500SE and has then (presumably under the influence of glue) stuck on some dreadful headlamps/DRLs that don't match the headlamp washers, some horrid little indicators beneath these.

Then some horrid coachlines along the sides, and put the 500SE badge on the radiator grille.

Note the mismatching cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap tyres.

Do you think it has been sympathetically cared for since the 94k mile mark?

Shame... you would have hoped it would have been so much better. My uncle has a 200 (or 250 series perhaps) one of these the very same age. His is a genuine mileage of less than 60k and it is truly mint having....

Expensive tyres, no cracked or damaged interior trim, shiny number plate screws, no peeling Halfords pin stripes, zero rust, zero paint damage, no respray work, wheel bolts still nicely plated, wood trim not lifting and most importantly still 100% as it was made with no tatty alterations.

That 500 is actually in bad condition for a supposedly cherished car of its age.
I'll bet the seller of the 500SE is a real hit with the girls at the Maccy Dees drive in.

I noticed when I was looking for my W124 that a lot of them have also suffered a similar fate with the lowered suspension, spoilers and other mods. Unfortunately the people looking for a car to butcher in this way also like to start with a car which is in good, unmodified condition. They don't take someone else's premodded junk and remodify it which further reduces the number of unspoiled cars available on the market.

It's not the world's most important problem I grant you, but I still get a tightening of the stomach whenever I see a nice old Merc which has had the Barry Boys treatment.
How patronising.

Pat
Perhaps you'd like some chips with that, Pat.
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - FotheringtonTomas
Oh *do* dry up, darlings. Note the Forum rules.
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Thu 22 Apr 10 at 14:50
Well, I hate to think what poor old Stu thinks.

You've pulled his fence to bits.
You've disected his advert word for word.
You've gone over his car with a magnifying glass.
Now you've categorised both where he lives and his reasons for selling it.

I bet he wishes he's never asked now.

Pat:)
Pat, I'd assumed the derogatory comments were aimed at the chavved up Merc in GB's link, not at Stu.
Sorry, Pat - it wasn't meant as such. I'd actually given your post a 'thumbs up'. My inept sarcasm backfired a touch :-)
Granted:)

I'm afraid I call a spade a spade, and I'm not about to change that now!

Pat
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Lygonos
I think racism is frowned upon also, Pat.

;-)

I'm pretty sure the 'council estate' jibes were being directed at the deluded chap selling the 500SE.
I commented on the comment, not what it referred to!

In the past many years of my life I've seen too many people walk away from comments that hurt, and that have been totally unjustified. I've seen people categorised unfairly, and although me finally finding the confidence to toss my head in the air and comment back may be way too late, it won't stop me trying.

Why else did I stick around and give you lot a second chance almost 3 years ago:)

Pat
This message has been hidden as many of our users have rated it as offensive.
You may view it by clicking here
Pat, perhaps you should read Stu's own comments:

"I get bored reading a listing that long"

and then take that *huge* bag of chips off your shoulder, you'll be a lot happier if you stop trying to look down on people "like me".

Mapmaker, I actually find that remark very below the belt.

Let me explain.

When I started lorry driving I never wanted to be better than the blokes doing it, but I always strived to be as good as them.

When I meet people who make comments like you I don't have to 'try' and look down on people like you, it's really no effort at all.

Any further comments to pat.nicholson@tiscali.co.uk please, so we can discuss my vantage points further.

Pat

It's OK, I can't reach any higher than your belt!
Blimey, didn't mean to blitz your thread Stu, but the cruelty shown to such a nice old MB had to be shared.

Why do they always find the good examples to stick tat on, and DRL style front side lights look bad enough on cars designed for them on a square MB they are just so wrong.

I saw an R-reg Mondeo in good nick today with little DRLs as per Audi - respectable looking middle age driver, otherwise unmodified car - STILL looked silly.

Id like some of the cruelty shown to my poor car to go on record, im sure his feelings have been hurt as he is hiding in my garage and doesnt want to come out! :-)
Saw a silver Charade today like Stu's 55 plate i think, can't remember the last time i saw one, neat little motor....neat lady driver too..;)
(((neat little motor)))

Me thinks my learned friend is going soft!

:)

>> Me thinks my learned friend is going soft!

quite possibly, the car in question was accessorised quite decoratively....so i'm told.

Seriously though i do think these little cars of this slightly old fashioned design era were useful neat motors, no attempts to be super stylish which usually ends up with a wedge of cheese shape with little useful room inside, and hopeless visibility in an essentially town car.
>>> Seriously though i do think these little cars of this slightly old fashioned design era were useful neat motors <<<

Yep! Fills a need I suppose - as does the Perodua Kelisa.
I hadn't heard of a Perodua Kelisa before so I googled it. I found pictures of Kelisas done up to the nines with bodykits, alloys and stuff. I have something of a soft spot for small, honest, cheap cars, but I don't understand why on earth someone would buy one then spend a huge amount of money doing it up. Each to their own I suppose.
Sorry but the Charade is a whole lot more capable than the Kelisa, its miles ahead in nearly every way. The Kelisa was based on the old model Daihatsu Cuore so a much older design. When it was launched, the Charade was ahead of the game rather than a warmed over relic - one of the earliest low emission city cars. Its still more spacious and faster than the current 107/Aygo.
How hilarious, I seem to have caused all sorts of upset.

Funny old world isn't it. Somebody posts a chavved-up car ad with what would have been good photographs had they not been taken with a shocking background - thus breaking an important rule of photography.

www.carseek.com/articles/car-photo-ads.html An uncluttered background should provide the setting for photographs of your car. Photographs that have other cars, people, or background buildings that are in disarray tend to be distracting and will not promote your car as well as pictures with a clean background. Driving your car to a cleared field, a waterfront, or even just an empty parking lot will provide a good backdrop to get some of the best photographs of your car.

Worst of all, it was a grotty council estate, whilst the bloke was trying to sell a car he was claiming was a top quality luxury car.

Yet my post pointing this out has been described, by many, as offensive and "presumptuous and pompous" which is hardly polite. Yet Pat's insult has given rise to a whole load of "thumbs ups". Now, clearly I shouldn't have taken Pat's bait, foolish of me, and I apologise for so doing, but really, was it quite so wrong of me to mock the photographs of that Merc?

|Moreover, Pat has quite unfairly ascribed ifithelps's words to me; it wasn't me Guv.

There's a funny lot that have come over here.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Fri 23 Apr 10 at 10:26
Pat for gawds sake loosten up, you are a bit of a drama queen at times, much as I love you.
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Alanovich
You're very good at this, MM.

Recently it was "I'm quite happy driving whilst paralytic", without mentioning you meant only on private land, then waited for the inevitable condemnation before saying "Ahhh, but I din't mean THAT, here's my perfectly innocent explanation".

Now it's references to council estates, which can be taken quite badly, followed by the wait for the upset, followed by the "Ahhh, but I didn't mean THAT, I was merely critiquing the poor photographic style, but council estates are grotty so let's have some more outrage please so I can let you have my perfectly innocent explanation tomorrow".

Quite poor form if you ask me.
>>>Pat for gawds sake loosten up,<<<

Loosten?? I'm not quite sure how to do that Z:)

I posted my email address for any further discussion on this, but none has been forthcoming so I assume the matter is closed.

Pat
I really think you're looking for offence where none exists and none was intended Alanovic. I suggest you read Stu's post within an inch or two of this one - given that he's the one that everybody is apparently standing up for...

Anybody would think that Barry Boys had tried a takeover of this site.
Mapmaker

I had the same thought about the setting of the photos - I would have driven it out to some quaint village ( or maybe in that particular cars case, outside a lap dancing club ). I just resisted commenting :-)
If you have seen the outside of Spearmint Rhino at colnbrook, photgraphing a JCB or Dumper truck would be more fitting.
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - John H
Funny old world it certainly is.
Pat says it is OK for her to call a spade a spade, but does not want to allow Mapmaker to do the same. Pat seems to have got her knickers in a twist. She thinks Mapmaker is commenting about Stu's car when in fact Mapmaker is commenting about the Merc 500 in the council estate. Pat makes comments which are better addressed to ifithelps who dissected Stu's original advert and made references to a garden shed and a fence and "revolting colour" of the Daihatsu.
The suns out, skies are blue, I have a day off and its sounds like you all need one too :-)
Deja vu, I think.

We've all been here before, somewhere else.

Pat
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - BobbyG
For what its worth, I would prefer the photos to be in the Council Estate! Although I have to say it doesn't look too much like some of the Council estates I know of here in Glasgow!

Anyway, that aside, when buying off ebay, I prefer to get as much facts as possible about the purchase. What the backdrop to the item is irrelevant, I am not going to think, oh lovely detached mansion in the background, that means I will overlook the chav lights on the car!

I have more respect and trust for someone who has photographed a car the way it is and, where it is. If photographed on a driveway I think private seller, not too scared to show his house in photos, I could even check Street Maps for it nowadays!

Give me a photo of a car sitting in a deserted road or car park or whatever and I would be less inclined to buy.

Just my 2p worth
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - Bromptonaut
>> 1. Being pictured in a council estate rather lets it down.
>>

If that's aimed at the OP's ad I think, apart from any ofensive connotation it's almost certainly wrong. The background could be from any of dozens of private estates in Northants built from the seventies to the nineties by Colroy, Wimpey etc.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 23 Apr 10 at 13:38
1982, not sure of the builder but theres several hundred houses in this development.
They werent referring to my house though Brom but to the ebay listing the GB linked to.
Stu lives in a Council House? Get real, that's not a Council House, that's a nice looking private estate! I don't suppose Stuart would like to live - as I do - on the edge of one of the country's largest council estates in the middle of London; nowhere to wash his car for a start. :)

The last car I sold, I drove to a very nice street of Georgian terraced houses for the photography. I don't think it increased the price I got, but at least I enjoyed taking the photographs and I could be certain that it hadn't reduced the price I got.

Given that the buyer and I did the exchange in a petrol station miles from the car's registered address...
I should just like to point out, lest somebody take a fence (sic) that "get real" in the above post is supposed to be ironic. Here is a smiley to go with it ;-)
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - John H
>>
>> If that's aimed at the OP's ad I think apart from any ofensive connotation it's
>> almost certainly wrong. The background could be from any of dozens of private estates in
>> Northants built from the seventies to the nineties by Colroy Wimpey etc.
>>

Your comment illustrates the danger of this thread having been hijacked by GB posting the ad for the chavtastic Merc 500 in the council estate. How many times does it have to be said that Mapmaker was referring to the Merc's location and not Stu's house and car? Pat has muddied the water by confusing and mixing ifithelps' derogatory comments about the fence and the colour of the Daihatsu with Mapmaker's comment about the Merc photo in a Council estate.
Last edited by: John H on Fri 23 Apr 10 at 13:53
I thought the Merc looked quite well, actually.

The headlamp conversion reminded me of the one I had on my MG Metro.

I do think that lapped board fencing is dreadful, but if I bought a house with some, would I replace it?

Not until it fell down.

As regards Stu's Charade, it proves a universal truth of the motor trade.

Funny cars in funny colours rarely sell quickly.

That's not to criticise anyone, it's just an observation of the market.
Ive had a decent offer on it now by the way, just waiting for the collection early next week.
I am going with the plan to get something quite obscure though as it will be relatively cheaper than a well known model so will make up for not getting good money on my car. I will be sensitive to the colour though!
>> Ive had a decent offer on it now by the way just waiting for the
>> collection early next week.

see - told you time will sort it out.
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - R.P.
Nuff said guys - move on - self moderating has taken car of the original comment no need to go on about it now.
Oi, dont come rocking over here with your new wedding ring and expensive tan and start throwing your weight around.
I better behave meself now he's back!

Pat
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - bathtub tom
Do we get an essay.

Wot i dun on my holidays? ;>)
>> Nuff said guys - move on - self moderating has taken car of the original
>> comment no need to go on about it now.

Yes, my carefully crafted words have been removed from view because somebody didn't read the thread properly, ascribed words to me that I never wrote, and (indirectly, for I do not for a moment believe pda started a campaign) persuaded others to click on "moderate this post".

There is a reason to go on about it, what's the point in posting if a few people can cause a perfectly innocuous post to be hidden.

your in a pretty grumpy mood this morning Mappy
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - VxFan
Map,

Going on some of the reports that landed in the moderators inboxes, your comment "Being pictured in a council estate rather lets it down" was one of the reasons people took offence to your post.

The comment may well have not been directed to Stu's post, but the stereotypical comment alone still upset several people.

Perhaps you'll tell me exactly what you think you mean by "stereotypical"?
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - helicopter
Your continued behaviour in making provocative and confrontational statements ?......:)
 Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - car4play
>> mean by "stereotypical"?

I suppose that council estates don't do much to enhance a photo of a car.

The trouble with the arguments in this thread is that there is merit in both sides. So please keep chilled I say.

You do have a point. Most people, consciously or not, fall into the stereotype and so I think you are right about the background affecting the car photo. Manufacturer brochures always have backgrounds to their cars to enhance what they are trying to say about it.

The problem is that the stereotype assumes something very negative about the people who live there and that is offensive by any standards. There are plenty of good and lovely people who live in less luxurious circumstances than many of us.
I am sure that you agree with this point too and it isn't what you had intended to imply.

Isn't it as simple as that or am I missing something?
Last edited by: car4play on Wed 28 Apr 10 at 11:33
>>The problem is that the stereotype assumes something very negative about the people
>>who live there and that is offensive by any standards.

Only if you want to read that into the statement.

Alternatively, you can assume that when taking a photograph of something you're trying to sell, what you need to do in order to enhance the price is to take great photographs of it. The vendor of the Mercedes has taken great photographs.... of a beautifully shiny car, taken from every angle, but they are let down by the untidy and scrappy background.

As mentioned before, I live on the edge of one of Europe's biggest council estates. My car is sometimes parked there - on the street. When I sold my last car, I moved it somewhere nice to photograph it, on a clear street with uncluttered background - against the plain stone wall of a church.

Pure simple logic, not a negative comment about the residents of council estates. Now if people want to think I wrote something negative about the residents, they are entitled to think what they like. They are entitled to ask for that to be removed. In the good old days of HJ, if the moderator thought so, such a comment would have been replaced with a . These days, my carefully crafted, valid, point has been hidden. There is no justice in this world. Free the Mapmaker One Post. I shall be handcuffing myself to this thread in order to make the point, and shall only be released by the police.

Daihatsu Charade - What should I accept does ya think? - car4play
>> have been replaced with a . These days my carefully crafted valid point has been
>> hidden. There is no justice in this world. Free the Mapmaker One Post. I shall
>> be handcuffing myself to this thread in order to make the point and shall only
>> be released by the police.

LOL! We won't win with this forum software though will we? Either the mods are to blame or the software is to blame (and all the people who use it). I'd rather have the lousy software blamed personally.

I did agree with your viewpoint and I didn't take it as a negative comment about council estates or the people in them. However, that is a very technical way of looking at things and puts aside any emotive connection.
Does that mean you are released now?
>> I'd rather have the lousy software blamed personally.

So would I, but it's far from lousy, not like another website I won't mention.
>>Perhaps you'll tell me exactly what you think you mean by "stereotypical"?

car4play put it across better than I could have done.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 28 Apr 10 at 12:46
Latest Forum Posts