Motoring Discussion > Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 Car Deals
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 64

Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - Ambo
I will test drive one of these shortly. Could present owners comment of good/bad features please. So far, I have found these adverse comments, all old:

-Binding brakes = poor fuel consumption
-Clutch judder
-Pops out of 4th (my i30 pops out of reverse)
-Frequent clutch failures
-Possible to lock oneself out
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - Ian (Cape Town)
New or old?

The facelifted one - identifiable by the colour-coded plastic bump strips on the doors - is pretty good.
I drove both the manual and the auto versions recently.

Hyundai is certainly flexing its muscles. With the i10 the first of four new – or facelifted - models to be launched in 2011, the Koreans are certainly not shy about their ambitions in the local market.

The i10 certainly ticks the boxes in the ‘city car’ category. Small, nippy - even at altitude – and with manual and automatic options, there’s something for anyone looking at this segment.

Available in 1.1 manual and 1.2 manual and automatic versions, with pricing starting at a psychologically-pleasing R99 900, the i10 aims to take on the likes of Toyota’s Yaris, VW’s Polo and the Chevy Spark.

Obvious targets are younger drivers, to which the i10s looks and character will appeal, but as a reliable ‘shopping trolley’ for older buyers, it would also prove ideal. As Hyundai state: the i10 will either be the first car, or the last car, you’ll buy.

The facelift has been kind to the i10, with reflections of the ‘fluidic’ styling seen on the Sonata and ix 35. The prominent hexagonal grill is flanked by new, larger headlights, foglights get the fluidic treatment, and the feel continues at the rear, with a new rear cluster and high-mounted spotlight in the spoiler.

Bumpers and side strips are colour-coded, which gives a fresh look to the car.

The interior gets an upgrade as well, again with an eye on the youth market, as the stand-out feature is a CD player/radio with iPod and USB connections, with steering-wheel mounted controls.

The seating position is comfortable, and easily adjusted to accommodate even tall drivers. The back seat will take an adult without the feeling of claustrophobia so often found in smaller cars. Access through the rear doors doesn’t require much contorsion either – a boon for any parent trying to load offspring into child seats And the boot is surprisingly large - given the lines of the i10 I was expecting a loaf-of-bread and a newspaper sized one, but there’s enough room for a weeks worth of shopping.

Out on the road, the i10 certainly doesn’t disappoint either. On a relatively short trip through Joburg suburbs and out on the open roads the i10 coped well with a variety of surfaces, a LOT of stop-start traffic, and some open-road freeway-speed driving. Drive comfort, especially over the bumps, was adequate, with no rattles or knocks from the well-built chassis and bodywork.

The 1,25 litre engine pumps out 64 kW and gives smooth delivery of power through the 5-speed box, though we found the difference between fourth and fifth minimal on the Highveld.

Hyundai claim the fuel consumption of the i10 1.2 GLS (manual) can be as low as 4,7 litres/100 km, while the automatic clocked an overall consumption figure of 5,5 litres/100 km.
Noted with thanks. It will be new, 1.2 Active version
Other notes from a Micra v i10 comparison I did.

very practical – the doors open wide, and access to the rear seats is good, which makes loading babies and toddlers easy, and access to the loadbay is simple, with ‘soft’ handles making the rear hatches easy to open, and neither needing much effort to open and close. Both cars swallowed an impressive amount of groceries, school bags and beer crates.

lots of little hidey-holes and cupholders for everyday items. Hyundai wins in the gadget stakes, though, as the radio also features USB compatibility as well as steering-wheel controls

However, the Hyundai is light-years ahead in feel, as the Nissan’s plastics seem decidedly flimsy and will, based on the few scrapes on the test car already, not stand up to too much abuse before they start to look shabby. On our test car, the boot around the gearshift was already starting to loosen, and while not a major issue, was an irritation.

Both stood up well to being loaded with a bunch of damp schoolchildren, with the seats and carpeting easily cleaned after a combination of rainwater and muddy feet.

Thankfully, the airconditioning on both cars made light work of the interior condensation brought in by the drenched nippers, so visibility through the windows wasn’t degraded.

Performance wise, there’s enough poke to keep up with traffic, even when fully loaded. The Hyundai’s automatic box proved to be very smooth, especially in stop-start conditions, and the kickdown function didn’t have that irritating ‘thunk’ so common in smaller-engined autos. The box is well-mated with the 64kw four cylinder 1.25litre engine, so in top gear the revs are kept in a respectable range at cruising speeds.

Hyundai’s steering - feels floaty at higher speeds, and is rather wooly round town.

Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - Bagpuss
We went to look at an i10 as a possible car for Mrs B. We found the interior a bit too sackcloth and ashes, especially the lower spec ones, and the dashboard was worryingly close to Mrs B's knees (so to speak) when the driving seat was adjusted for her. Current favourite is the Suzuki Splash, nicer interior and very nice to drive for a box on wheels.
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - mikeyb
A colleague regularly hires cars for work, but for some unknown reason always ticks the low group cars......

Anyway, he often gets a corsa / polo / 207, but last week came back with an i10. He was impressed enough to tell me that he would ask for the i10 over the other cars on the fleet in future.

It was well specd, and quite nippy were his words, and he would have driven about 250 miles in it during the 48 hours he had it.
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - Oldgit
Well, I haven't sat in one for about 18 months but then I wasn't too impressed by what I saw or felt, purely from a showroom examination.
The seating was far too high for myself and the fascia looked very amateurish and cheap and from the outside the whole car reminded me of a Noddy car with its tiny road wheels. However all this, now, seems to belie, what the car is really like in the latest version, which I haven't seen yet.
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - Harleyman
Had ours for two years, i10 Classic. Only gripes I have are the seats get a bit hard on the butt on long journeys, and there's no intermittent wipe; since the latter was a common criticism I daresay they've sorted it. Other than that, can't fault it; quiet, roomy, cruises happily on motorway, no hassles, good internal space with seats down.

Best five grand I've spent in a long time.
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - kb
I've recently bought a new Active i10 Auto. I also had a new pre-facelifted Comfort manual about a year ago. The first one developed clutch judder after a month or so. It also suffered a few niggles - radio issues, rear seat back rest needing a clout with a Hyundai special hammer, sunvisors not staying put, geqrchange from first to second had a 'snick'...a bit like worn synchro ring, it stalled much easier than any other car I owned (touchy throttle and clutch operation). Poor mpg, very innacurate speedo. I sold it after most of the issues were sorted.

Hyundai Customer Service, in my experience, generally sucks but I'm prepared to be corrected after my current dealings with them are completed. Early days still. My current one is the subject of investigation by the dealer and Hyundai so I won't expand upon that.

Current manuals suffer stretching clutch cables but the juddering clutch and defective headlight adjusters, which plagued early ones, are said to be resolved. I think most people are happy with them now that the early problems are sorted on the manuals. I wouldn't get an auto until my present difficulties are resolved(or not).

I like the high position - it could even be higher for me but it's adjustable and should OK for most. The fit and finish are OK considering what you pay (discounts are to be had at the dealer). My present one seems quite economical and the autobox works well but there MIGHT be a problem with autos than might not exist with manuals....as I said, early days - hope to know more this week. The Active is good value (especially with a £1500 discount). I paid £8550 for a metallic auto and to get an auto Polo would cost £14,000....but that's not exactly comparing like with like but for what you get the price is fair. The dealers, like anywhere, vary - you might have a good one. Look at the forums for details of the clutch judder issues. Hyundai did themselves no favours with that and I hope they've learned from it.

I don't mean to put you off - most are very happy I'm sure - and I might be happy myself after things are sorted for me.

(The horn is pitiful - needs a better one if you buy one. Also it has an alarm that the brochure doesn't mention).

Do your homework and drive a couple for a good length of time....(AT 70 MPH !!!) before you decide.

I should have made clear, I think the Hyundai Customer Service Helpline is poor....I wasn't referring to the dealer service....which depends on individual dealers of course, but I suspect is generally OK.... the Helpline can be very.....variable....shall we say.
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - Skip
The i10 was hugely popular under the scrappage scheme and a very long waiting list soon built up, its possible that the build quality suffered on cars made around that time in the rush to get them off of the production line.
Yes, I got my first one under scrappage and it was organized mayhem with everyone watching the boats progress as they brought the cars from Chennai to the UK and thereafter to their respective dealers. But the clutch and headlamp problems weren't to do with rushing to get them out....they were inherent problems which took HUK a couple years to finally solve.

I find the basic concept of the car to be OK, but if you compare it with a more expensive product I think it won't take long to see where they saved money. I had a Jazz at the same time as the first i10 and could compare them and the Jazz had the extra quality feel that was evident almost everywhere around the car and I have a Yeti now and getting out of one and in to the other - you can see why one cost twice as much as the other...but that's no disrespect to the i10. For for I paid I got a tall, narrow, short five door 1.2 auto with a relatively modern engine and safety factors...4 air bags etc.....plus remote locking, alarm, fairly respectable radio/CD with USB/AUX/ipod thingies + height adjust seat, alloys, front fogs, air-con..plus other bits which add up up to a fair value package - and a 5 year warranty.

But it does feel little bit tinny in places and the seats aren't top of the range and the plastics are durable but not posh - but the rear seats fold flat and there's a fair amount of rear leg and headroom. The tax and insurance rates are low, the service costs are average and the economy SHOULD be good when it loosens up.
Last edited by: kb on Tue 25 Oct 11 at 20:36
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - brettmick
We had one that we kept for 18 months. It went because I needed a 2nd car for a 20 mile each way commute and I am 6'4 and didn't fit in the i10 - it gave me hideous back pain as the seat is too high and we had the top model with a sunroof.

It is a good city car but not so good on faster roads - a journey over over an hour was uncomfortable for the driver (even the Mrs found her ankle starting to cramp up). I got 44 MPG from it which was a bit lower than expected and probably because the little engine had to be worked hard to get it up to speed when joining the fast A roads. The seat material quality is not great and the glove box plastic marked easily but that was the worst of it. The heated seats were nice and the specification was otherwise very good. We also only lost £450 in the 18 months of ownership...

All of the above problems (except locking yourself out - which is just stupidity) should be covered by the warranty.
Agree it's much better limited to town trips or shorter rural excursions rather than hours on end on the motorway. Have just done 250 miles in it and have neck and shoulder pain....but that need not necessarily be the car - more just my aches and pains...I should have stopped for a break and stretch.

What DID make the journey wearing was the droning, buzzing reverberation that occurs under acceleration between 300rpm and 3500rpm and at it's worst at 3250 rpm....which equates to 70mph in top gear. This, I'm hoping, is a problem that can be rectified - either by an adjustment/minor repair etc...or by my rejecting the car and asking for a replacement. It makes a long motorway journey unbearable and I won't keep the car if it continues doing it.
kb, I'm surprised at that. One of the things I like about mine is its willingness to cruise at motorway speeds quietly and with little effort, only slightly spoilt by the hard seat as mentioned above. It affects my butt more than my neck and shoulders, but then again being an HGV driver it might be that I'm more used to long hours "in the saddle" perhaps.

I suspect that had I gone up to the Comfort model, with height-adjustable seat, it might have been better.

In summary, I'd certainly buy another. Tried the Panda and Fiat 500 before we went for the i10, haven't regretted my choice. I did however have initial problems with the clutch, it's a little on the sharp side when new, but it's got better with use though I'm uncertain as to whether it's the clutch itself bedding in or me getting used to it.
Yours is a manual, HM, I imagine. The reason for not having another manual was the trouble I had with the judder plus the sensitivity of it (ie. ease of stalling it....and I've had plenty other cars in 40 odd years and never had the same problem).. plus the gearbox synchro 'snick' as you went in to 2nd...and a further incentive was the autobox is covered for a full five years warranty whereas the clutch is subject to the normal wear and tear exclusion after the first two years, I recall (might be wrong - could be the first year).

The droning resonance/noise/vibration between 3000 and 3500 rpm under load must be a fault coz no-one would suffer that without complaining - and the service manager has acknowledged it and it's 'in hand'. Shame as it's otherwise OK - a doddle to park ....I tilt the N/S leccy windows to see the kerb and avoid scratching the alloys - and have had reversing sensors fitted to make sure I don't have any slight mishap with suicidal children/dogs/grannies/posts jumping out behind me. And it's very anonymous and not attention grabbing - less likely to get damaged due to it's modesty and small size.

What rpm does yours show at an indicated 70?

As noted above on mine, 3250rpm = 70mph indicated - but is a true GPS 67mph. So a true 70 would be about 3400rpm.

The service fella said clutch cables stretching is very common....maybe get yours checked next time it's in. (What have you been paying for servicing?

I just asked......."Yours is a manual, HM, I imagine".

That was probably the daftest question in the world....you've mentioned your clutch in the last sentence of your last post.

Oh dear. Nurse!! He's out of bed again!
>> Oh dear. Nurse!! He's out of bed again!
>>

Just keep on taking the tablets, dear, we'll have you out for a walk later...... ;-)

It's actually due for a service shortly so I'll have a more detailed report in a couple of weeks; I'll mention the clutch cable, thanks. I do stall it now and then, but in my defence I now drive an automatic lorry and only use the car occasionally, wifey has it for commuting as she deems my scooter unsuitable for her needs as it's "not a proper motorbike".

I suspect yours is geared a bit lower than mine, ISTR that a steady 70 is about 3100 rpm.

Another bonus BTW, since it sits quite high I can easily find it in a busy Tesco car park.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Wed 26 Oct 11 at 02:08
I had a two-hour test drive the day before yesterday and didn't experience any of the listed faults to any serious effect. The car seemed quite happy at 70 mph and did not wander. I liked the fact that there is a spare (emergency) wheel, instead of the squirter that comes with the new Picanto. Boot capacity is better than that of the family Colt, a bigger car. Rear seat accessibility has been praised but I could not get into them, even with the front seats all the way forward, without entering big end first. Beware, then, if you are 6' or more tall, wear size 11 shoes and suffer from arthritis.

The trade-in terms were excellent, with a high valuation on my i30, 2 years' free servicing and 0% finance for 50% of the price. I did wonder if this liberality indicated an imminent model change but placed an order for a 1.2 Active Air yesterday.

Many thanks for all of your hints.
>> The trade-in terms were excellent, with a high valuation on my i30, 2 years' free
>> servicing and 0% finance for 50% of the price.

Locally, they come with a 5-year/150 000km warranty, and free service until 90 000kms.
Awesome deal indeed.
The new Elantra is also superb - priced aggresively, punching against the smaller-engined corollas - Hyundai 1.6 v 1.3; Hyundai 1.8 v 1.6 - and with a 'full house' of kit as standard.
They can't ship them in quick enough.

>>> I did wonder if this liberality
>> indicated an imminent model change but placed an order for a 1.2 Active Air yesterday.
>>
>> Many thanks for all of your hints.
>>

Shouldn't be - this 'facelift' model is only a few months old.
Hmmm, what I have read here makes me think that I'll give this car a wide berth when advising my sister on here Fiesta replacement (not the current Fiesta, I should add).
Perhaps a Kia Picanto or its latest incarnation.
There are definitely better cars...it's just you'll have to pay more for one that has similar levels of toys..unless you go used/nearly new. I really only got it because it served a purpose and wasn't that dear...as I said, £8550 for the auto with metallic and a few bits and bobs thrown in and it has the 5yr warranty, which some others don't. They've gone up £150 since start of October...I got mine in September, so add that in to the equation when the time comes.
The price also includes 5 years' RAC breakdown cover.
Yes, I forgot to mention the RAC. It's 'Recovery' as well as 'Breakdown' too.

"Hmmm, what I have read here makes me think that I'll give this car a wide berth when advising my sister on here Fiesta replacement (not the current Fiesta, I should add).
Perhaps a Kia Picanto or its latest incarnation".

I wouldn't want to think you'd avoid the i10 just on the basis of my experience. I honestly believe that you'd be OK with one if it fitted the bill - given the price of the thing...I was one of the unlucky ones with the first one I bought - and they did sort (most of the) problems eventually The facelift should be better and if you have a decent dealer I'm sure he'd sort out anything that did occur. Mine has just rang me and assured me they'll get to the bottom of my issue, and it is early days...and mine seems like an unusual problem that they haven't seen before. Compared to my Jazz it does feel less substantial - but, like the Polo, it costs a lot more. The Kia is dearer (and made by the same people) and look at the reviews www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/kia/picanto/hatchback/video and it has it's drawbacks (as well as being dearer).

As always, a bit of Googling and doing your homework pays dividends and don't let a couple of iffy experiences from bods like me who've been unlucky put you off. But don't buy the pre face lift - that might be asking for problems (which can be solved, but you don't want to invite trouble).
Our main problem is that the Fiesta is garaged and practically all current superminis are larger and wider than their predecessors and thus would make garaging a Fiesta successor, such as a Corsa, new Fiesta or Polo etc. etc. very awkward for her.
I find this trend of increasing the size of each replacement most annoying. The i10 looks a narrow car but when advising someone on what they should or might buy, then one is on dodgy ground.
I made a mistake with her current 2nd hand Fiesta as I chose one, by mistake, with a sporty suspension and stupid low profile wheels and the ride is horrible making my MK6 Golf seem like a high class limousine by comparison. I'd have to be very careful in trying to advise her as what to buy now. A Nissan Micra looks fairly narrow still.
Point taken re. advice, OG. Even the Micra has acheived a much less respectable reputation of late....certainly a local lady had a new one that often let her down....but that proves nothing. The i10 IS small but roomy enough and has 4star NCAP safety. My mrs. loves it and doesn't worry about the noise it makes at 70mph. I think I'd offer what advice you can but emphasize that no car is guaranteed to be fault free but if it has a warranty that will rectify problems then that's some kind of peace of mind and you/she'll have to be unlucky to have repeated problems with one of the acknowledged makes. Chevrolet are top of one of the lists I saw for reliability and cost of repair. www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer/relIndex but I know very little about them, I'm afraid.
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - lancara
Electrical folding wing-mirrors were a factor in my choice of cee'd because of a garage problem.
Another problem I have with SWMBO is that she wants a main dealer who is nearby and that has plenty of parking space, the latter being an almost impossible find.
However, we do have a main Vauxhall dealer who also sells Suzuki, Hyundai and one other make that I can't bring to mind. The trouble is they haven't got limitless space to show off all models across that range.
I was rather taken by Vauxhall's Aglila or the equivalent, again by make I can't remember at the moment. (Suzuki Splash???).
Sounds an impossible task unless an unlimited amount of patience and understanding is available. If she's buying new then whatever it is, she'll be unlikely to get a lemon - the warranty will cover whatever she buys and she must buy what suits her circumstances...beyond that I'd be inclined to take a step back and let things sort themselves out. Sounds like whatever you suggest will have it's drawbacks.
>> Sounds an impossible task unless an unlimited amount of patience and understanding is available. If
>> she's buying new then whatever it is, she'll be unlikely to get a lemon -
>> the warranty will cover whatever she buys and she must buy what suits her circumstances...beyond
>> that I'd be inclined to take a step back and let things sort themselves out.
>> Sounds like whatever you suggest will have it's
drawbacks.
>> t

Hmmmm. You've got it in one. Well done.
>> I was rather taken by Vauxhall's Aglila or the equivalent, again by make I can't
>> remember at the moment. (Suzuki Splash???).

Yep, the Suzuki Splash. Nicest cheap car I've tried.
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - Felix
I might be accused of thread drift but I think the Picanto would be the best bet. We've been looking around for something to replace Mrs Felix's Panda 100Hp (which has been loads of fun but is an absolute nightmare on her daily commute into London over innumerable speed cushions) and settled on one of these, picking up an ex demonstrator "3", newly registered, for £10k this weekend. Unlike most of its rivals it manages to not feel like a particularly cheap car when you're inside it, the "perceived quality" is rather good. It seems to be fairly happy at motoryway speeds too. And I actually think it's rather good-looking, much more so than the i10.

OK so for that price we could get a fairly new 2nd hand supermini but they are just so big now, we looked at the Polo and it's a very nice car but WAY too big when you want something that will squeeze into little parking spaces.
>> >> I was rather taken by Vauxhall's Aglila or the equivalent, again by make I
>> can't
>> >> remember at the moment. (Suzuki Splash???).
>>
>> Yep, the Suzuki Splash. Nicest cheap car I've tried.
>>

Cheap!! Hardly. A 1.2 5dr excluding metallic paint and perhaps colour coded rear parking sensors is >£11k but I suppose it depends on what you call 'cheap'? Cheaper than the Agila equivalent then yes.
>> Cheap!! Hardly. A 1.2 5dr excluding metallic paint and perhaps colour coded rear parking sensors
>> is £11k but I suppose it depends on what you call 'cheap'?

Was going on prices here in Germany. A basic model i10 here is listed at 10,500 Euros. An i10 1.2 is 12.300 Euros. The much nicer Suzuki Splash 1.2 we test drove was listed at 12.000 Euros. All list prices of course, though the Suzuki dealer indicated room for negotiation, the Hyundai dealer told us he could sell as many as the factory could make.

The absolute bargain in the small car market at the moment appears to be the Fiat Panda at 7,800 Euros for the run out model with a 1.2 engine.
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - rtj70
And after the current Panda is replaced with a newer more expensive one: (1) still based on the same platform so why bother? (2) the Skoda and SEAT versions of the new VW up! will be cheaper and have more room inside. Oh dear. FIAT seemed to be doing no wrong since they got the big 'divorce' payout from GM.

And I still think the VW up! should have taken the planned named. Lupo. The IROC was the Scirocco. It's a VW thing.
>> And I still think the VW up! should have taken the planned named. Lupo. The IROC was the Scirocco. It's a VW thing.

Well, they're certainly traing to wring as much marketing hype out of "up!" as possible.

The models are called take up!, move up! and high up!

Adding airconditioning to the basic model is called an up!grade.
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - Avant
And there'll be an extra softly suspended version called the Bring Up (sorry, sick joke).
>> And there'll be an extra softly suspended version called the Bring Up (sorry, sick joke).

Was wondering if there's going to be a high power 4x4 version with bull bars called the up! yours.
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - val
Hello
Can you enlarge on your 'possible to lock oneself out' statement please.
I have a month old I10 and I am finding that if I shut the driver's door it locks itself ( it has central locking with a key) and if the key is inside - there is just no way of getting back in and have to carry the spare key all the time. Extremely inconvenient because us 'girls' don't always have a pocket to put the key in. Had to call out the breakdown service and stand in the cold waiting for them. Has been back to dealer three times - they say they cannot find anything wrong with it and suggest it is me accidentally pressing the locking button as I get out - nonsense - especially as it happens to my husband too. Is this the problem you have and does anyone else have the same problem?
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - Clk Sec
>>I am finding that if I shut the driver's door it locks itself
>>Has been back to dealer three times - they say they cannot find anything wrong with it

I don't own an i10 but I would think that, as with my own car, your locks will automatically engage several minutes after you close your doors.
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - Auristocrat
As I'm a member of the Hyundai Owners Club (we have a 12 reg i20), I've looked at the Hyundai Owners Club i10 forum. In all the 149 posts there is not one post highlighting a similar problem.
All of our cars we've had from new which have had remote central locking (10 - going back to at least a 1998 Toyota Corolla), self locked a few minutes after the drivers door is closed and there has been no further activity. The dead-locking won't have set though.
This is a common design feature across numbers of manufacturers.
Bear in mind if you leave the key in an unattended car, you are probably voiding your insurance should the car then be stolen.
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - VxFan
>> I don't own an i10 but I would think that, as with my own car,
>> your locks will automatically engage several minutes after you close your doors.

Even if you leave the keys in the car?
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - Focusless
Is it repeatable? That is, have you taken it to the dealer and demonstrated it locking itself? Then at least the dealer could say whether it's working as intended (ie. bad design) or indeed there's a problem that they should fix.
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 5 Jan 13 at 13:13
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - swiss tony
>> Is it repeatable? That is, have you taken it to the dealer and demonstrated it locking itself? Then at least the dealer could say whether it's working as intended (ie. bad design) or indeed there's a problem that they should fix.
>>

Now... I have a feeling that this IS a design feature - to prevent a car being left unlocked, and therefore easy to steal/steal from.
If it is, then it cannot be regarded as a BAD design, perhaps from another viewpoint it is in fact a good design.

Remember, an unattended vehicle, with its keys left inside, is, in fact an uninsured vehicle, at least if it got taken away... (maybe not if another vehicle hit it for instance.)
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - Manatee
I don't think I've ever had a car that would lock itself in the circumstances described, either immediately or after an extended period.

They commonly will relock themselves if they have been unlocked and no door has been opened for about 30 seconds. The least 4 cars I have bought (3 Hondas and a Mitsubishi) have done this. But if I have had the door open, closed it and left it they stay unlocked.

I had a minor problem with a CRV after having a towbar fitted. The fitters left the tailgate switch badly adjusted so it didn't make the circuit when the door was opened (I knew this because the light didn't come on). I discovered the problem when I had been out to the car to get something out of th boot and left the keys on the boot floor. I brought the stuff into the house and went back to get them to find them locked in. Is it possible that the i10 that is locking itself almost immediately has a faulty door switch?
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - No FM2R
I have a Landcruiser with the standard alarm.

If I drive up, stop and switch off, get out of the car and shut the doors, then after a few minutes the central locking will lock and the alarm will set.

And annoying it is too.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 7 Jan 13 at 00:38
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - Zero

After being unlocked, he lancer will lock itsself again after a minute or two unless there has been any door activity after which it will remain unlocked.
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - John H
>>
>> After being unlocked, he lancer will lock itsself again after a minute or two
>> unless there has been any door activity
after which it will remain unlocked.
>>

That is a feature that I have come across when unlocking a car - if you don't open a door or boot within a specified time, the car will re-lock.

However I think some of the comments relate to cars auto-locking themselves after you get out of the car and that is a feature I have yet to experience.

>>And annoying it is too.

But you might forget to lock your car, Mark, and it could just save you some hassle if you do.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 7 Jan 13 at 00:38
True, but I have a key hidden on the vehicle simply because I locked the keys in the car so often.
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - slowdown avenue
have i 10 auto 2009 . just back after 3 weeks away and the key fob intermittentlly refuses to lock
change the battery in the fob.
'Just back after 3 weeks away and the key fob intermittentlly refuses to lock'

New battery for the key fob??
tryed the spare key that's smae problem. also i changed battery and still froze doors open . so need to open and shut with key. next time it works ok
Is there anything nearby that produces radio waves - mobile phone mast, police communications equipment, etc - that could be interfering with the signal.
no outside probs. but could the car battery strength be a factor?
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - RattleandSmoke
I can't see it being a battery problem, unlocking a car uses hardly any power compared with the power need to turn the engine over. If it starts ok is it is unlikely to be the battery.

Have you tried it a lot in a different location to see if it does the same thing?
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - mikeyb
Neither the Sharan or V60 lock themselves if you just get our and walk away, but if you unlock and don't open the doors then they will both re-lock on their own.

I'm not sure when I have ever got our of a car and left it empty but intentionally left the keys in? Always take them with me.
>>I'm not sure when I have ever got our of a car and left it empty but intentionally left the keys in?

On my own grounds, where the car is secure even with the keys in.

Unfortunately thanks to Toyota its frequently secure from me also.
>> no outside probs.

how do you know? park it somewhere different and try it there.

There was a high street in cumbria, where if you parked out side one shop, no-one could get their car unlocked, turned out to be the shops wifi or till or something like that.
Extremely inconvenient because us 'girls' don't
>> always have a pocket to put the key in.

Tame excuse. You have a handbag. Use that.
 Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - Pat
>>You have a handbag. Use that. <<

I certainly don't, can't stand the things.

Pat

Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 - Duncan
Hello Val

Has anyone welcomed you to the the forum?

If not, welcome.

Duncan
And another green thingy for the courteous Duncan.
Latest Forum Posts