Motoring Discussion > Hard shoulder safety - has the message hit home? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 16

Hard shoulder safety - has the message hit home? - Iffy
I think it has, having seen two broken down cars in the last week or so.

The stranded driver of an MX5 on the A1(M) north of Newcastle had left the boot open, and placed a warning triangle a good few yards behind the car.

He had hopped over the barrier and was sheltering several yards away from the carriageway behind a road sign.

Same road, different county.

The driver of a people carrier in North Yorkshire had also left the tailgate open, and hopped over the barrier with his family.

They were wearing high-vis jackets, I think he even had them for his two children.

Both drivers' behaviour could be described as exemplary, as far as I understand what you're supposed to do.

I think the majority of drivers follow the guidelines, but I'm only on the motorway a couple of times a week so don't see that many broken down cars.

What do you think?

Hard shoulder safety - has the message hit home? - Bromptonaut
Family illness has had me on the Northants/Leics section of the M1 several times a week since late Jan. I'd also noticed that hi-viz and out of the vehicle seem almost standard.
 Hard shoulder safety - has the message hit home? - Old Navy
I recently saw a car on the hard shoulder (in the dark) one person changing the offside rear wheel, and another spectating and obscuring the offside rear light, no hazard flashers either. Some think, some don't.
 Hard shoulder safety - has the message hit home? - MD
I believe that Hi-viz is compulsory in all or part of Europe, certainly in Madeira (for the Driver). Big fine if caught without (again iirc) It makes sense doesn't it?

MD
 Hard shoulder safety - has the message hit home? - Zero
how many have Hi viz vests in the car?

I have 4
I have two.
 Hard shoulder safety - has the message hit home? - smokie
I have hi viz coat in boot - well lined, waterproof and v warm on the occasions I've had to use it!
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 9 Apr 10 at 20:38
 Hard shoulder safety - has the message hit home? - Herr Sandwichmann
I've never seen this sort of good practice in action. More often it's the complete muppets who pull on to the inside lane from a standing start, rather than picking up speed on the hard shoulder. I had to do a very quick lane change to avoid one such idiot who didn't even bother to indicate, and now am very wary when I see a car on the hard shoulder with doors and bonnet shut, in case they wander on to the carriageway at slow speed.

Is the above a familiar scenario to other members, or was I just unlucky?
 Hard shoulder safety - has the message hit home? - Zero
>> I have hi viz coat in boot - well lined waterproof and v warm on
>> the occasions I've had to use it!

Lets hope you dont get splattered by a lorry when you leave the car to retrieve it.
 Hard shoulder safety - has the message hit home? - Bellboy
you cant learn them that int interested
i always wear my yellow throw on if i feel im in the path of idiots
these jackets really do help to make you stand out
keep them clean mind or replace when dirty
 Hard shoulder safety - has the message hit home? - AshT
I have a set of hi-viz vests in the glove boxes of both cars, touch wood we've not had to use them yet.

I had to change a wheel a few years ago on the hard shoulder of the M5 - even in daylight that was an unnerving experience. Luckily I was on my own, no kids to look after. I think if I had the kids in the car now I'd wait with them over the barrier and phone the RAC rather than change a wheel myself.
 Hard shoulder safety - has the message hit home? - SteelSpark
Why is it good practice to leave the boot open? Is it as a visual aid to distant drivers that the car is stopped?
...Is it as a visual aid to distant drivers that the car is stopped?...

Yes.

Some Mercs, the boots of which opened at right angles, had a warning triangle on the underside of the lid.

Hard shoulder safety - has the message hit home? - Ted

My daughter broke down on the M60 in the C8 a couple of years ago.
She knew the score, being a paramedic. She had two 4 yr olds on board.

When I got to her they were well up the banking and both buttoned up in her works hi-vis coat.

She also had the sense to put them well behind the car. if it does get punted over the armco by something, you don't want to be in the flight-path !

I've done loads of jobs on the hard shoulder, even plugging tyres and crawling under cars to do things. Wouldn't dream of it now........a phone call suffices.

Ted
...I've done loads of jobs on the hard shoulder...

In my short career as a breakdown mechanic in the 1970s, I've also done jobs on the hard shoulder.

Changing wheels, crawling under to wire up an exhaust, changing a fan belt, that sort of thing.

Even then the advice was to stop the tender behind the broken down vehicle, so you wouldn't be crushed between the two vehicles in the event it was rear ended.

We were also told to work 'over the wing' whenever possible, so there was less chance of being dragged under the car if it was hit.

These days, I think I'd be inclined to drag the car off the motorway before doing very much to it.

Hard shoulder safety - has the message hit home? - Fursty Ferret
Driving up to London last Monday morning and astonished at the number of cars just stopped on the hard shoulder, usually with just their left indicator flashing and everyone still inside.

Can't all have broken down.
>> Can't all have broken down.
>>
On the phone? Avoid the phone points and get killed, or done for stopping on the HS, (by camera).
Latest Forum Posts