Motoring Discussion > Sure-sell Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Netsur Replies: 23

Sure-sell - Netsur
I have decided to put the XC90 into BCAs Sure-Sell.

Spoke to a nice girl in Belle Vue just now and they will ring me back with a likely value and costs. Anyone used them?

A friend of mine did who I knew had an inflated idea of value for his C220 Coupe but he got a fair if not decent price for it through Sure-Sell. Will I be just as lucky?
 Sure-sell - Boxsterboy
I've not used them, but I would have thought it might be worth trying to sell privately for a couple of weeks or so for (most likely) more?
 Sure-sell - MrTee43
I think that when a "good" car goes through the block and the seller is a private punter, the regular dealers who are on nodding terms with the auctioneers always seem to get a bargain.

I know for a fact that this used to happen many years ago, because I sold a Mini Cooper, old style,
and watched the sale myself.

Saw the buyer have a word at the rostrum and actually saw the auctioneer ignore a bid before he knocked it down. I know because my mate was bidding for it to get the price up to a reasonable amount.

I actually confronted the Auction site manager and after a row in his office, got the sale overturned.

Maybe these days things are more respectable.

Sure-sell - Netsur
I would like to think that in the larger establishments this would not go on. Would not be surprised if it happened in a small local business.

Same in any business. Large firms have a reputation to protect with their larger plc clients. Smaller firms unaffected as their clients/customers are less concerned about corporate responsibility.
 Sure-sell - Iffy
The good thing about a large BCA auction is there will be well-resourced traders there with the financial clout to bid on the car.

It is almost certain it will sell, although perhaps for not quite the amount you want.

I've no idea of Volvo values, but, for example, £15,000 in the bank might be better than a possible £17,000 which might, or might not, come in some time in the future.

Sure-sell - midlifecrisis
Put it on Pistonheads. Large advert with lots of photos and it's free.
 Sure-sell - Runfer D'Hills
Roughly this time last year I sold my Signum at BCA Manchester. It got a good price which I would say fell somewhere between trade in value and that which might have been achieved through a private sale. However, the simplicity of the process and the speed of the deal was also worth something to me. Painless really. It might just help you to quickly put the thing behind you and move on without further concerns. ......and of course you get the one you really want even sooner !

We'll make a blue oval man of you yet !

:-)
 Sure-sell - Netsur
Ha! One day you will. I'm getting excited about heated front windscreens and summer is about to start. The one rented in Israel didn't have that option - I wonder why........????
 Sure-sell - Bill Payer
>> ...because my mate was bidding for it to get the price up to a reasonable amount.
>
I love the indignation in your post, and then you cheerfully admit the above! ROFL
 Sure-sell - MrTee43
Yep !

The Motortrade is a harsh game and it sometimes helps if you play their way !
 Sure-sell - Herr Sandwichmann
IIRC, HJ rated suresell highly.
 Sure-sell - Iffy
...We'll make a blue oval man of you yet !...

Driving back from Harrogate on a decent A-road, I was struck by how well the CC3 handles.

It just loves going round bends - I'm sure no other mainstream car is as involving as this.

There's a bit of scuttle shake with the roof down, but the front/rear balance is improved by having all that ironwork over the back wheels.

I know Espada's not after a convertible, but he is after something that drives well.

And that something has a blue oval on the front of it.

Sure-sell - Netsur
On the way into Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv there is a long dual carriageway which has a very awkward tightening right hand bend as you approach the terminal. I suspect it is a design fault rather than an anti-terrorist feature as they flag it up as a dangerous bend. I t was only built ten years ago.

Anyway, the only rental car that I have know to go around it without making the driver feel out of control (let alone the passengers) was the S-Max. It bodes well..........
 Sure-sell - Runfer D'Hills
Are you thinking of buying a new one Espada or mildly second hand ? They seem to hold their values quite well.
 Sure-sell - Netsur
New? New? I don't understand that word!

I did go into a dealer and query a new car, but the discount was only 15% which I though low given that we all know (and the dealer confirmed) that the facelift model with new engines is coming out in a months time or so. So they wanted to sell me a brand new (but built late 2009) car with the old spec for just 15% discount. Ha!

I reckon I can buy a 12 month old model at a £10,000 discount off the new price. Have also thought about the PCP method, but that depends on seeing the prices and spec of the new model.
 Sure-sell - Iffy
...let alone the passengers...

Good point, you can make sensibly swift progress in something that handles properly without throwing everyone around.

A big part of that is knowing how to drive, of course, lifting off the throttle to set the car up for the bend, then accelerating gently from the apex.

One of the points I would emphasise is you can enjoy a well-sorted car at modest speeds.

My A-road run yesterday was only at 60-70mph.

Some people think I'm daft, but I even like the way the CC3 swings into a parking space, it's just so accurate and well-sorted.

Decent handling and roadholding is a safety feature, too.

If I misjudge a bend in the CC3, the chances are I'll still get round, albeit untidily, rather then end up in the ditch.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Mon 12 Apr 10 at 09:19
 Sure-sell - Zero
"Driving back from Harrogate on a decent A-road, I was struck by how well the CC3 handles. It just loves going round bends - I'm sure no other mainstream car is as involving as this."

"There's a bit of scuttle shake with the roof down, but the front/rear balance is improved by having all that ironwork over the back wheels."

So its a flawed car improved by making it heavier.

No other mainstream car as involving as that?

No just 6 million focus 1s and 2's with a proper roof. Oh and All mondeos of course.

Sure-sell - Iffy
...no just 6 million focus..

Zero,

You have become expert at extrapolating negatives from positive posts, and expert at nitpicking to the nth degree.

Most readers would accept my remarks would apply to other Focuses amd Ford models.

The thread is about buying an S-Max, and I do describe Fords in general as cars for keen drivers.

But since you raise the subject...

Having had a diesel hatchback Focus, I would say the handling of the CC3 with the roof down is superior - just.

The reason is diesel hatchback Focuses can feel nose heavy.

I suspect the best-handling Focus would be a petrol one.

I test drove a 1.6 which was nicely balanced.

The ultimate might be a sports petrol hatchback Focus - where's Cheddar when you want him?

Sure-sell - Zero
Ifi - you said

>> Most readers would accept my remarks would apply to other Focuses amd Ford models.

But you spcifically stated that

"I was struck by how well the CC3 handles. It just loves going round bends - I'm sure no other mainstream car is as involving as this"

That was clearly a specific statement about the CC not a focus or any other car, therefore worthy of comment. True modern fords are some of the best handling around (although,in my opinion, for later models of the focus at the expense of ride and refinement), but chop the roof off and the whole thing is compromised because it was never designed to be bald.

>>You have become expert at extrapolating negatives from positive posts, and expert at nitpicking to the nth degree

thank you, tho to be fair I have always been good at it. In this case it didnt stretch my skills too far.
 Sure-sell - Londoner
Zero, would your second name be "Tolerance" by any chance? :-)
 Sure-sell - Zero
>> Zero would your second name be "Tolerance" by any chance? :-)

Me? I am married, my second name is "yes dear"
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 12 Apr 10 at 12:01
 Sure-sell - Skoda
CC3's are a mixed bag, it's so disappointing driving along and spotting a cc3 in front, getting your hopes all worked up for the beauty in the drivers seat to find it's an old guy.

No car screams leggy slim blonde from the rear more than a cc3. It's not a masculine car.

Sure-sell - Auntie Lockbrakes
SWMBO used Suresell a couple of years ago to dispose of her BMW 318. We were very impressed. They collected the car from her office car park, sold it for a higher price than they'd originally quoted her, and sent the cheque out to her instantly.

Of course it must depend on the car to a degree. I suppose that a 6-year old low mileage immaculate 318SE is more desirable than some of the other stuff out there...
 Sure-sell - BobbyG
Of course it must depend on the car to a degree

So, not a Volvo XC that has been slagged into the ground by its current owner on a public forum??? :)
Latest Forum Posts