Motoring Discussion > Trip computer. Average speeds Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 7

Trip computer. Average speeds - legacylad
I reset mine in early Jan 2011, and given that since then I have probably driven only 200 miles on motorways, and very little on dual carriageways, was surprised that my average speed is 39.9 mph.
Thats one of the beauties of living in rural N Yorks, and why I average 32mpg in the 330.
I hate to think what the average speed is for SWMBO who lives on the motorways of northern England in her Insignia, although her trip computer shows an average mpg from new of 52mpg which, if accurate, is very impressive.
 Trip computer. Average speeds - Jonwm
Thats good in the Insignia, I've got a Hire Car insignia SRI at the miniutes, 160 CDTI and mostly motorway and Duel carriageways I get about 45mpg.
 Trip computer. Average speeds - Redviper
>> my average speed is 39.9 mph.
>> Thats one of the beauties of living in rural N Yorks, and why I average
>> 32mpg in the 330.

Also living in Darlington / N Yorks that's what my Vectra comes out with, averages about 36mpg (according to the 'puter)

:-)
 Trip computer. Average speeds - borasport
but has it reset itself in the meantime ?

VAG cars have two registers, one effectively resets itself every journey, the other whenever one of its parameters runs out of digits - in the case of distance, it only has 4 whole number digits, and the first of those can only be 0 or 1, so when it hits 1999(*) miles it resets distance/time/consumption
(*) should be in about 5 miles time - I'll be staring at the trip all the way home this evening. Sad, innit ?
 Trip computer. Average speeds - Londoner
The latest VAG cars have overcome that limitation in register 2, so you can just leave it alone for the life of the car.
Also, register (Computer) number one will allow for a break of up to two hours in the journey without resetting itself. So you could drive from London to (say) Edinburgh with several comfort breaks, and still use Computer 1 for data on overall MPG, speed, distance.
 Trip computer. Average speeds - borasport
>> The latest VAG cars have overcome that limitation in register 2,

How recently ? Mines a 59'er
 Trip computer. Average speeds - Armel Coussine
>> I'll be staring at the trip all the way home this evening. Sad, innit ?

Not at all sad, unless of course you forget to watch the road ahead out of the corner of your eye...

All these visual data are OK if one can be bothered with them. But they should be positioned not too far off the driver's eyeline. Looking for small numbers somewhere low down on the central console is a bit dangerous.
 Trip computer. Average speeds - Redviper
they should be positioned not too far off the driver's eyeline. Looking for small numbers somewhere
>> low down on the central console is a bit dangerous.
>>
>>

Agreed, - or not available until the car is stationary.
Latest Forum Posts