Motoring Discussion > Number of cars on the road falls Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 11

Number of cars on the road falls - movilogo
I am quite surprised TBH

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1264282/Number-cars-road-falls-time-Second-World-War.html

Although not sure how significant is just 0.7% decrease.
 Number of cars on the road falls - John R @ Work
216,685 less cars working with the numbers on the report.
That's just over 722 supermarket car parks (based on each being 300 spaces)
866.74 Km of road assuming each car is 4 meters long and they are nose to tail...

Where is Number Cruncher when you need him?

John R ;¬)
 Number of cars on the road falls - Dog
But the number of Land Rovers has increased according to Radio 4 this morning, or should that read Tata's.
 Number of cars on the road falls - Cliff Pope
"cars on the road" presumably = Number of cars registered but excluding SORNed?

So it doesn't necessarily mean there has been a fall in car-miles or number of journeys.

I don't understand the reference to the scrappage scheme. A condition of scrapping a car was to buy a new one, so no net change in numbers surely?
 Number of cars on the road falls - Falkirk Bairn
Number of cars has fallen according to some reports (0.7%) - scrappage replaced a car with another car but it appears some are down sizing from 2 cars to 1 and from 1 car to the bus.

However, many drivers are covering fewer miles - fewer journeys and "taking the bus or train" - total fuel sales are down from their peek and likely to fall further.

My view is if you have a car you have paid for RFL/Ins/Depreciation - use the car - unless you are heading for a city and have trouble/cost of parking. The cost of the petrol/diesel is less than public transport - Unless you have a bus pass (which I have and have only used maybe 20 times in 4 years!)
 Number of cars on the road falls - Redviper
There is a interesting comment on the website link, that (I don’t know how true it is) if every car that was uninsured, untaxed, and does not have a MOT is removed from the roads then the figure would drop by a further 2 million.

That’s a hefty drop, and a good point. *if* that is true why (apart from under staffed/resources issues) are these cars not removed of the roads sooner, and hefty penalties levied for the people that drive in one of the aforementioned vehicles.

Thefore there would be less cars on the road, less strain on our overcrowded road network, the government would look good/proactive. Everyones a winner.
 Number of cars on the road falls - Bellboy
Redviper have you seen the source of this journalism?
i have just counted that i have 4 cars, no tax, no test, no insurance ,no sorn ,should i be hung or my cars taken off me as a bard lad
remember these are "in the trade" and dont need any of the above times that across the country as a HOLE and i reckon the figure would be mighty high......
 Number of cars on the road falls - Redviper
>> Redviper have you seen the source of this journalism?

It was just a comment on the artical by a 'reader'

>> i have just counted that i have 4 cars no tax no test no insurance
>> no sorn should i be hung or my cars taken off me as a bard
>> lad

Not at all, but thats what this 'commenter' said all i said was they should be taken of the road as surley without the Tax/Mot/insurance they should not be on the road (im not sure whats allowed for trade purposes, but i would only mean for non trade)
Last edited by: Redviper on Thu 8 Apr 10 at 13:31
 Number of cars on the road falls - Mapmaker
>> I don't understand the reference to the scrappage scheme. A condition of scrapping a car
>> was to buy a new one so no net change in numbers surely?

Don't think so. The new cars would all (mostly) have been bought anyway. But perfectly good 10 year old cars would have been kept as a second car (Humph) or sold on or given to a youngster. Many people who would have paid £100 for a car two years ago cannot afford £1000 for a car today. Result, fewer wheeled drivers.

The other thing affecting this is the availabiliity of car share cars. Certainly here in London some of my friends think they're great.
 Number of cars on the road falls - L'escargot
>> The other thing affecting this is the availabiliity of car share cars. Certainly here in
>> London some of my friends think they're great.
>>

I tried it when I was travelling 75 miles to work and I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. I frequently had to wait for the other sharers to turn up in the morning or to be ready to leave work in the evening. One had smelly feet so the rest of us had to contrive that he always sat away from the heater air outlet. After a few weeks we'd heard all the others' favourite topics of conversation several times and the whole thing just became terribly tedious. Never again.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 9 Apr 10 at 06:45
 Number of cars on the road falls - Cliff Pope
I agree - stressful experience. Sitting alone in one's own car is the last private refuge on earth.

But car sharing does't reduce the number of cars, only the number of individual miles or journeys.
 Number of cars on the road falls - movilogo
I agree too. Car sharing just doesn't work.

I travel to London daily in a quite common route but couldn't find anyone to share journey using all car share sites.

Even if morning time can be synchronized, evening return time is very difficult to match.

Latest Forum Posts