Motoring Discussion > New defender coming. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 7

New defender coming. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14726189

A pretty version !
 New defender coming. - Skoda
What comedian stuck a "LAND ROVER" bonnet badge on a Skoda Yeti ? :-)

Not often i feel nostalgic, i'm all for forward progress, but there was something cool about the present day defender sharing a part (was it the fuel filler cap?) with the original Series machine.

Still, looks like the new one will be comfortable - that looks like monocoque rather than ladder frame so better ride and no more driving in the door pocket... what was the driving position all about?!
 New defender coming. - -
Looks suspiciously like a rebadged Toyota FJ Cruiser.

2015 ???!! for pity's sake unless you're under 5' 6" tall and 13 stone you have to shoe horn yerself in the current model and it's hells own job to reach down and undo the usually manual window winder, LWB turning circle is unbelievable especially in 130 models.
Try a current single cab, cramped taken to a whole new level.

I admire the fact they've always kept Defender simple and capable off road, but some tweaks for driver comfort and room are about 30 years late.
 New defender coming. - Boxsterboy
This is little more than a kids doodle. In Autocar this week it says they haven't even decided whether to have a separate chassis or not. Until you make that sort of decision, how on earth can you design the rest?
 New defender coming. - Old Navy
All they need to do is reinvent a pick up truck, as long as you can clean it out with a hose it will be OK. Pity they have left it decades too late.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 31 Aug 11 at 14:21
 New defender coming. - Manatee
>>unless you're under 5' 6" tall and 13 stone you have to shoe horn yerself in the current model

Is it really that bad, I haven't driven anything recent (since the TDi)? I've just sold a Series 3 truck cab and I didn't find it cramped (5'10" & 14 stone).

There's some drivel in that article. What's the point in comparing an agricultural vehicle to an Evoque (a designer accessory)?

Viewed as a tractor with some car features, a Defender is OK. A car it isn't, really.

I fancy a Jimny to replace the Series 3. Not sure I'll be allowed 3 cars though.
 New defender coming. - Alanovich
>> Not sure I'll be allowed 3 cars though.

Just do it. She'll get over it. Mine did.

Oh, and they're none of them cars. Evoque, Jimny, whichever. They're ALL agricultural vehicles. ;-)
 New defender coming. - Skoda
>> I fancy a Jimny to replace the Series 3

Hair dresser :-)

(I like the jimny, just not a fan of the weedy engine!)
Latest Forum Posts