Motoring Discussion > India On Four Wheels Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Chris S Replies: 14

India On Four Wheels - Chris S
Has anybody else been watching 'India On Four Wheels'?

I got the impression that you don't need a licence or insurance to drive there.
 India On Four Wheels - devonite
what would your premium be in these conditions? ;=)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WU8hilbN9Y
 India On Four Wheels - Zero
But did you notice, No accidents, and no jams.
 India On Four Wheels - CGNorwich
>> But did you notice, No accidents, and no jams.
>>

possibly but 80,000 deaths and three quarters of a million people requiring hospital treatment every year as a result of road accidents in India
 India On Four Wheels - Londoner
I watched it. Really enjoyed it, though horrified in places.
All that driving down the wrong way down dual carriageways!!!
There were plenty of accidents, and I know that India has a huge population, but it is still a terrible statistic to say that there are over 100,000 deaths on the roads per year.

The only thing that spoiled it for me were the presenters. I didn't really take to either of them. The Indians were the real stars anyway.
 India On Four Wheels - Skoda
Not seen the programme but Indian driving is a world away from ours, even drivers of sombre hire limo's are mental.

Turning across oncoming traffic, the procedure has nothing about looking for a gap or anything like that, just keep tooting the horn, swing it round and go. Mayhem.

Brilliant food. Decimating poverty. Horrible stench. Generally brilliant people.
 India On Four Wheels - R.P.
Good programme - a sort of unlobotomized Top Gear romp.
 India On Four Wheels - Boxsterboy
It says in the part today that the Tata Nano is not selling well, even to the car-starved Indians.
 India On Four Wheels - RattleandSmoke
Was a decent program but the 4X4 she was driving looked like it was cheap crap by our standards, it looked like it had no airbags, she mentioned it had aircon and leather seats, well so did some BMWs in the 1970s. In fact the FIAT Couple from the late 60's had both of them!.

The electric car comment was also very uninformed, where did she think the electricity was made from?

Overall a good programme and I it was strange that most the road signs where in English.

I really wish Clarkson would do a follow up of the mid 90's Motorworld, he could then compare how things have changed.
 India On Four Wheels - movilogo
It was enjoyable and quite well made.

I drove in India before coming to UK so I think I can comment some of the facts.

Indian driving standard is poor compared to European standard. There is no debate here. After driving in UK for last few years, I have lost my skill which was required to survive in Indian roads. So as a result, I don't drive anymore in India when I visit there.

One must not forget the fact that majority of drivers in India have no formal education. They believe if the road in front of theirs is empty, then they can just drive. Looking at sides, rear etc. are optional.

>> But did you notice, No accidents, and no jams.

There are accidents all the time (often fatal) and cities are choked with traffic jams!

>> It says in the part today that the Tata Nano is not selling well, even to the car-starved Indians.

Not surprising considering the fact price of Nano on road with all taxes is equivalent to used price of proper cars.

>> it was strange that most the road signs where in English

Why strange? English is one of India's main official languages and India has more English speaking population than UK. Some states do erect local language only road signs which are pain in backside because India does not have any single language (except English) which all educated Indians can understand. But then most uneducated drivers don't understand English! So it is usually customary to display English as well local languages in the road signs.

>> it looked like it had no airbags

Only the top end variants have airbags in India except European brands like Merc, BMW, Audis etc. which have fitted them as standard. But those cars are out of reach for all but very riches. Cars are expensive in India not only relative to per capita income but even in absolute terms! A BMW in India will cost more in £ what it costs to buy in UK.

>> well so did some BMWs in the 1970s

India is like a snake where the head entered 2011 but tail still lies in 1799 :-)

India On Four Wheels - Chris S
I remember Jeremy Clarkson interviewing an Indian driver about the poor standards of driving there.

His response was something like 'Most Indians are Hindus who believe their time of death is pre-determined. It doesn't matter how you drive, you won't die unless it's your day to die.'
Last edited by: Chris S on Tue 30 Aug 11 at 12:24
 India On Four Wheels - Cliff Pope
>> 'Most Indians are Hindus who believe their time of death
>> is pre-determined. It doesn't matter how you drive, you won't die unless it's your day
>> to die.'
>>

I can see the attraction.
It reminds me of a quotation from someone living in Northern Ireland during the troubles. He wasn't bothered about the possible bullet that had his name on it, it was the one saying "For whom it may concern" that worried him.
 India On Four Wheels - borasport
>> a sort of unlobotomized Top Gear romp.

If that's what you want, pick up a copy of P J O'Rourke's 'Driving Like Crazy' - collection of 30 years of writing that makes Clarkson's scribble look very embarassing. It includes an account of crossing India in two pre-production Discovery 2's - it seems not much has changed in the intervening (nearly) 20 years

p.s. the book is good, but I think the audio book narrated by Christopher Lane is much better
Last edited by: borasport on Sat 3 Sep 11 at 10:29
 India On Four Wheels - R.P.
Thanks may get it on Kindle........I read some of his stuff some years ago, and found him a good read !
 India On Four Wheels - Dutchie
www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6n6TfTIR2c&feature=related

This man was born in India.UG interesting to listen to.
Latest Forum Posts