Motoring Discussion > Tyre buying Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 52

Tyre buying - Zero
Funnily enough, I haven't bought tyres for a car for the last 32 years. (if Nicole has needed any tyres on her wagons I have just sent her off to kwik fit and told her to get on with it)

The lancer needs a pair of tyres on the back, they have done 42k and are cracking and worn badly on the shoulder*

Soo, being the kind of bloke who inhabits this forum, like you lot I started looking at tyre reviews, then hunting down the cheap providers.

I find prices are pretty similar from all the well known on line outlets, sure you cant get cheap deals but when you add fitting costs/disposal costs coming in at 16-17 quid per tyre they all end up around the same price for the same tyre. A 195/60 R15 88 load BTW.

Just for a laugh I look up kwik fit. Surprise surprise they come in at about 3 quid per corner dearer for a Uniroyal Rain Expert (£70.80 all in) as all the other outlets, with the bonus of a really good pay and book system, and a branch near me next to a cafe that does all day breakfasts,

So say what you like about them, their core business is chucking on rubber, and their monkeys are just as good as anyone else's monkeys at doing that role.

*the new tyres are going on the front, and the olds going on the back. yea yeah I know but Pfffttttt

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 22 Aug 11 at 17:50
 Tyre buying - Skoda
Can't really argue with £70 a corner. Even if you managed to get them for £50, the theres delivery (£10/tyre) then fitting (although £8 / corner is more like it for that). You'd be lucky to save enough as pay for that breakfast. There's always the hassle when the wrong tyres are delivered etc.

I'm definitely a fan of some kwik fit branches (baillieston) but others are atrocious (Motherwell). Some are in the middle (airdrie). Like everything I suppose.
 Tyre buying - Manatee
>>I'm definitely a fan of some kwik fit branches (baillieston) but others are atrocious (Motherwell). Some are in the middle (airdrie). Like everything I suppose.

I've been very wary since they quoted me for "Dunlops" about 30 years ago, then fitted something I'd never heard of. When I pointed it out, they said "Well they're made by Dunlop". One reason I tend to go to Costco, or for punctures an independent who charges £10 cash.
 Tyre buying - Dog
I have ze Bridgestone Turanza's comrade Z - good rubber!

Have you had the cambelt changed on your exceedingly fine automobile? mine is due next year :(
 Tyre buying - bathtub tom
I'm getting my old ones put in the boot next time, the local tip's on my way home and they take tyres. Saves the disposal fee.
 Tyre buying - Runfer D'Hills
You can make things out of old tyres. I made a pair of flip-flops once using old tyre treads and some scrap leather. They were terrible.
 Tyre buying - Zero
It will be due next year, 5 years and 60k.

Its an expensive item, being a complicated run.
 Tyre buying - Dog
>>It will be due next year, 5 years and 60k. Its an expensive item, being a complicated run<<

According to my service check list, the timing belt and balance belt should be replaced every 50k or 4 years.
 Tyre buying - Zero
not according to mine.
 Tyre buying - Zero
Mine says every 54k miles, 6 years. So I am going for a median. 6k over and 1 year short. There are two belts, complicated run.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 22 Aug 11 at 21:33
 Tyre buying - Dog
>>Mine says every 54k miles, 6 years<<

I'll phone the pain dealer tomorrow, I'm funny about cambelts.
 Tyre buying - Mapmaker
>> Mine says every 54k miles, 6 years. So I am going for a median. 6k
>> over and 1 year short. There are two belts, complicated run.

Unless you expect to keep the car for another 54k miles and 5 years, there is no point in not having it changed now, is there?
 Tyre buying - Phil I
Turanza - have these all round via ETyres.co.uk Mobile Workshop on your drive. no extras
all inclusive. 17/08/09 : £88 per corner 205/65R15V- Transformed the handling of the QX in the wet and snow.

They are a franchise outfit tho and its possible the service varies dependant on where you live. Prices were competitive then and no doubt probably still same now.

Beats hanging around draughty tyre sheds. Sit in your lounge and view thru yr own window.

Happy Motoring Phil I
 Tyre buying - Lygonos
Very happy with wet and dry grip from Michelin Energys (from Costco) - £70 a corner for 205/55x16 (along with 195/65x15 probably the most common tyre size these days by some margin) during a 20% for 4 deal 2 mths ago.

Certainly comparable to the Bridgestones that were on it before (Honda FRV).

*EDIT* - note you say 195/60 x 15 - presume they're still a fairly common size.

ps. Don't bother with Michelin Energy E3A - cack in the wet - Energy Saver is the name of their newer, much improved tyres.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 22 Aug 11 at 21:57
 Tyre buying - Dog
I bought 4 new tyres for my previous car via www.blackcircles.com/

Good price and delivered to a local garage for fitting.
 Tyre buying - henry k
Just had another pair of Kumho Ecsta KU31s 205/50 16 fitted @ £86 a corner.
Very satisfied with them. They needed very little balancing and seem to give a very quiet ride.

Tyre buying - Armel Coussine
Got two Avons for the front of the car a couple of days ago.

To my horror and slight surprise they were 90 odd quid each.

But I didn't bother to look for cheap ones because the local tyre place is good. I know they are from long experience, but they proved it once again by not giving me any bull about how the new tyres had to go on the back.

The ghastly alloys have corroded on the inside of the rim, but the guy put some gunge on. Haven't checked the pressures again yet. But the car drives noticeably better to me, although herself hasn't noticed.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 22 Aug 11 at 22:57
 Tyre buying - rtj70
I had a set of Avons once. They lasted very well so must have been a harder compound.
 Tyre buying - Dog
>>I had a set of Avons once. They lasted very well so must have been a harder compound<<

No good in the ice age then :}
 Tyre buying - R.P.
@ AC - 250+ each for a Beemer's 18" run-flats..!
 Tyre buying - Zero
How is it possible that a set of replacement tyres could come to 3% of the purchase price of the car?
 Tyre buying - R.P.
Tell me about it, at least I got some free mSport alloys with mine...
 Tyre buying - rtj70
Does Tesco (using Black Circles) offer even better prices?
 Tyre buying - Zero
>> Does Tesco (using Black Circles) offer even better prices?

Not really. About 3 quid a corner cheaper than Kwikfit
 Tyre buying - VxFan
I can highly recommend www.camskill.co.uk ( direct link to 195/60/15 - tinyurl.com/42mk7hl )

I've yet to get Blackcircles to give me a matching or cheaper quote than any of the other on-line tyre providers I've tried while shopping round. So much so, I don't even bother trying blackcircles any more.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 23 Aug 11 at 00:32
 Tyre buying - Zero
>> I can highly recommend www.camskill.co.uk ( direct link to 195/60/15 - tinyurl.com/42mk7hl )
>>
>> I've yet to get Blackcircles to give me a matching or cheaper quote than any
>> of the other on-line tyre providers I've tried while shopping round. So much so, I
>> don't even bother trying blackcircles any more.

After delivery and arranging fitting, Camskill would save me -----

6 quid!

As I said, its all much of a muchness.
 Tyre buying - henry k
When I looked Camskill's prices they varied by depot & Winchester appeared to be cheapest
 Tyre buying - Victorbox
Apart from tyre type and cost I weigh up which fitter is likely to jack vehicle correctly and not damage the alloys. Yesterday I managed a very good deal on two Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2's. Premium tyres priced like they were mid-range.
They jacked vehicle properly and even managed to put correct air pressure into each. They were quite courteous and it was a pleasant experience for once.
Last night I washed off the obligatory tyre goo only to find a large score in one alloy and two chips out of the other wheel!!
 Tyre buying - -
I get my tyres fitted and the old ones disposed of for a tenner apiece, if you end up paying the £16+ Z mentions then it gets difficult to make online purchasing worthwhile unless you run some of the ludicrously priced stuff like the owners of Anglesey above....and then you'd just send the chauffeur.;)

I used to use a highly competent indy who would always get so close to the best internet prices that it was a no brainer.
Unfortunately the front man of that place has now gone and the replacement seems to think you're strange if you ask for a specific tyre, i really can't as the customer be bothered with arguing when i'm paying.

That's why i use online, as i can buy what i want when the price is right without having to explain meself.

Proper place for those new ones on the front Z...:-)

Just out of interest Z and Dog, who will you use for cambelt changes?, serious question as the C2 will eventually need doing, will no doubt be as expensive as yours but i shall use the Cit dealer for the hopefully better warranty and proper parts in the kit.
 Tyre buying - henry k
>>Proper place for those new ones on the front Z...:-)
>>

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz
 Tyre buying - Zero

>> Just out of interest Z and Dog, who will you use for cambelt changes?, serious
>> question as the C2 will eventually need doing, will no doubt be as expensive as
>> yours but i shall use the Cit dealer for the hopefully better warranty and proper
>> parts in the kit.

Main dealer. Its a complicated belt system, many indies wont be familiar with it, I want a proper kit fitted and some form of comeback if it all goes wrong.
 Tyre buying - Dog
>>Just out of interest Z and Dog, who will you use for cambelt changes?, <<

Well gb - good question! ... on the Lancer, it's a fairly straightforward job but - very labour intensive, so it would be an expensive job via the pain dealer, I still can't ascertain the recommended change interval on my L8 08 model, one dealer (and Z) says 54k and another says 50k or 4 years,

I know some 1st class indies in Cornwall, so I may well give the job to them, I dunno yet though as I'm 'funny' about cambelts - I swore I'd never buy another car with a blimming cambelt!

But a Mitsubishi isn't just 'another car', is it :)
 Tyre buying - Dog
Well ... I've spent nigh on 7 hours researching the cambelt change interval on my particular car,
including reading many sites, owners clubs, horror stories etc., etc., etc.

And it is 4 years or 50'000 miles :(

But the good news is that to have it done by the not-so pain dealer would cost £290 inc. VAT

AND that includes a full service :-)
 Tyre buying - Zero
what engine do you have? the 1.6 or the two litre?
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 23 Aug 11 at 14:58
 Tyre buying - Dog
1600 late 08 on an 08 pl8.

That advice btw, came from the Mitsi dealer in Plymouth.
 Tyre buying - Zero
right check your page 1-2 of your service book, for the engine number - should start with a 4G18.

Then check to see what service interval you have ticked, it should say 9000 miles or 1 year whatever comes first.

I have here the Service check list for the Lancer/Lancer Estate JT, where it states

"Every 54000 miles - (Additional to 18k miles intervals) renew the engine timing (A) and balance shaft (b) belts

I just phoned up my Mitsi dealer (Chertsey) and they said 54k / 6 years, and the cost is £299.88 inc vat

The 50k 4 years does not make sense as it is

a: outside the 9k/18k /1 year service cycle
b: the shortest time distance belt change of any maker, by some margin.

So I phoned Rodgers of Plymouth, and the bloke there was a bit hesitant, but said its "every 54K & 6 years" and he quoted me £149 labour and £48 quid in parts both plus vat so £237 quid.

So its not worth my while toddling down there for the weekend and a cheap belt change.
And I wasn't convinced by the service reception bloke down there, did not seem to know his stuff.

Last edited by: Zero on Tue 23 Aug 11 at 16:10
 Tyre buying - BobbyG
Zero, some VAG belts (inc mine) are now 4 years.

And I think VAG have changed their minds about a million times since they issued the service booklets!
 Tyre buying - Zero
>> Zero, some VAG belts (inc mine) are now 4 years.
>>
>> And I think VAG have changed their minds about a million times since they issued
>> the service booklets!

The VW one is unique due to the extra load of the fuel system

As far as the service book goes yeah I know, that's why I phoned two dealers.

And to keep some semblance of the original thread I have booked the two tyres for next Tuesday, two Uniroyal rain experts (seem to get good reviews) on the front £141.60 all in. Could have got it cheaper by about 30 quid if I had gone for some Marigold Ditchfinders.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 23 Aug 11 at 16:44
 Tyre buying - CGNorwich
"some VAG belts (inc mine) are now 4 years."

So is mine - due January. any idea the cost? - am budgeting £400
 Tyre buying - CGNorwich
Think have answered my own question. Here are charges for cambelt change from a local independant. My guess of £400 seems likely to cover it

www.vwnorwich.com/servicing_prices.htm
 Tyre buying - mikeyb
>> "some VAG belts (inc mine) are now 4 years."
>>
>> So is mine - due January. any idea the cost? - am budgeting £400
>>

Not sure which VAG model you have, but the main dealer down here that I use are advertising £319 for a belt change. They did our Sharan last year for 299 plus an extra 25 quid to do the water pump at the same time. Wor carries 2 year guarantee
 Tyre buying - Dog
>>right check your page 1-2 of your service book, for the engine number - should start with a 4G18<<

My service book only shows the last 6 digits, so I'll dig out the log book later,

I am the 2nd owner, and the service interval box isn't ticked but, I have a service check list from the last service (prev owner) that states 12,500 mile intervals.

Also, on the same service check list, it clearly states: renew timing belt and balance belt every 50,000 miles/4 years.

My car btw has only done 32,000 miles so I could well leave it, but for that mone£ inc. the service, I'll get it done.

Tyre buying - Dog
Yes, the engine is a 4G18.
 Tyre buying - Zero
Well I dont want to say I know more than dealers or stuff, but someone has started your wagon off on the wrong service regime.

You should be on 9k/One year, which would give you a cam belt change of 6 years/54k. Someone has used the wrong check-list on your beast. The 12.5k one is not for the 4G18

Having said that, I have pushed mine onto a self determined 12k/1 year regime, as the 9k one does not take the use of synth oil into account.

Tyre buying - Dog
>>Well I dont want to say I know more than dealers or stuff, but someone has started your wagon off on the wrong service regime<<

Yes, it seems that way doesn't it - I'm not at all surprised really, even the 2 dealers I spoke to today didn't have a clue,

Anyway, I'll see how the car performs over this winter up here on the moor with no chance of any gritting (I'm told), and if we don't succumb to the radon gas or the CO from the multi-fuel stove, or the freezing up of the borehole,
I may think about a QQ or a Sportage etc. next year :)

Thanks for your help.

Tyre buying - Dog
Well mate - pleeeeeeeeeease don't ask me why, but, my car, for some strange reason I know not, is on the 12,500 mile service interval, and that blimming belt should be replaced at 50,000 miles or 4 years,
That's straight from The Horses Mouth.

Heehaw!)
 Tyre buying - Mapmaker
>> The 50k 4 years does not make sense as it is
>>
>> b: the shortest time distance belt change of any maker, by some margin.

Vauxhall 40k 4 years. (Reduced from 80/8 as their tensioners a(/we)re made from blue cheese.)
 Tyre buying - Iffy
...I've spent nigh on 7 hours researching the cambelt change interval on my particular car...

What a waste of time, and a good example of how to drown in a sea of (mis) information.

To reach the same conclusion, I'd have spent fewer than seven minutes talking to the dealer.

Tyre buying - Dog
>>What a waste of time, and a good example of how to drown in a sea of (mis) information<<

I did speak to 2 dealers, but this is Cornwall remember - full of thieving chimney sweeps :)

I actually enjoy researching anything and 7 hours is nothing, for me!
 Tyre buying - Iffy
...I actually enjoy researching anything...

Fairy snuff, time spent enjoying yourself is not wasted.

I'm still thinking about switching to Vodafone and looked at a few reviews of a basic Nokia handset for battery life.

One says the battery lasts for ever, another says it conks out after a day.

That was waste of my time.

Tyre buying - Zero

>> I'm still thinking about switching to Vodafone and looked at a few reviews of a
>> basic Nokia handset for battery life.
>>
>> One says the battery lasts for ever, another says it conks out after a day.
>>
>> That was waste of my time.

Ah the joys of the net, its all there, all the info you need, all contradictory.
 Tyre buying - RichardW
I have used blackircles the most recently - I like becuase you can choose the tyres you want at a time you want. Probably going to order the next from Camskill because they've got the tyres I want. Cost is pretty much neutral as Zero found. KF only appear to offer 3 tyres in the size I want, so no go for me there...
 Tyre buying - Alanovich
Don't forget, if you're in the RAC you can get tyres online through their website. It's actaully Blackcircles behind it, with an extra discount for RAC members.

I've used it before, works well.
Latest Forum Posts