Motoring Discussion > Buying a car... Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Skoda Replies: 8

Buying a car... - Skoda
Which would you choose from 2 identically priced cars:

Car 1: 2004 Grand Vitara Auto 2.0 Petrol. 57k miles. 12 months MOT (no advisories), 6 months tax. Very limited service history. 3 month limited warranty from the trader. Cosmetically tatty inside & out. Dent on drivers door, scratched dashboard (animal claws), Spare wheel on the car (alloy has a puncture). Aircon gubbed. Requires £140 spending + 2 days labour to restore to good condition + warranty claim for the aircon.

Car 2: 2005 Grand Vitara Auto 2.5 v6 Petrol. 47k miles. 8 months MOT, 2 months tax. Full service history. Top of the range model with leather etc. Excellent condition throughout. Private sale. A comprehensive warranty costs £352 for 1 year.

Both cars drive well, all other features work (4x4, autobox). Both seem mechanically sound, no rust either.

Car 1 allows a trade in of the Golf (£650). With Car 2 i need to sell the Golf privately which needs a days work to clean it up for sale. Would list for £850 but would take £650.
 Buying a car... - Manatee
Why has the trader not fixed the aircon before sale? If he hasn't why would you have any confidence that he will do it after, under the warranty? Or is he planning to fiddle the insurance company, in which case he's not somebody you'd want to deal with?

And it's a scruff with no history, in no way fit for retail. Animal claw marks on the dashboard? I won't even let a dog in my car. Plenty of good 2004 cars around. Look elsewhere or buy the other one. Do you really need to ask?
 Buying a car... - -
Lady friend has a V6 with auto, it's not been a moments bother so save your money on the warranty and put it in premium bonds, got more chance of paying out.

They are good cars but the V6 is heavy on fuel, consider LPG'ing it seriously, remember it's £250 VED (check it's not more before you buy) but then i imagine the 2 litre will be too.

The first car i wouldn't go anywhere near, aircon warranty fix?, as MT says that tells you all you need to know.

Ted knows these things well, he's had a fleet of them so far, hopefully you'll get the nitty gritty when he stops by.

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 22 Aug 11 at 10:51
 Buying a car... - Dog
I wouldn't either of them,

Car 1 b'cos of very limited service history + condition,

Car 2 b'cos of thirsty engine.
 Buying a car... - rtj70
>> warranty claim for the aircon.

Hope you're not suggesting buying this shed and then take out a warranty and then claim on it for the faulty aircon? Might not even be economically repairable.
 Buying a car... - Mapmaker
Car 2, any day. Provided you're happy with a 2.5 engine.

Car 1 fails on all the condition counts:

1. Tatty inside and out - how do you think they cared for the engine if they cared for the car like that?
2. Aha. They didn't. So there's no service history because it's never been in a garage.
3. Trader hasn't even bothered to find a just-about-legal £10 tyre for the wheel.
4. In fact he's (presumably) encouraging you to make a fraudulent insurance claim for the aircon against the limited warranty. So how honest do you think he is?

Run, run run. Why are you even considering it? If you don't want car 2, don't buy car 1.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Mon 22 Aug 11 at 11:53
 Buying a car... - Skoda
That's it, I'm putting my money on car 1 :-)

Ohhh you're a bunch of Jessies you lot :-) was expecting at least some wheeler dealer spirit!

car 3 (one that was discounted as already sold) has popped up again. Need to find out why the buyer backed out. Seemed the best machine (good condition, fsh, not top of the range but leather seats in the winter would be a pain without heaters) although only a 2.0, but might be in with a chance again... Hopefully! Can't get in touch with the seller yet.
 Buying a car... - Lygonos
Car 4 - bangernomics Forester S-Turbo.
 Buying a car... - Iffy
Skoda,

Given your approach to car care, I doubt the Golf needs a clean before sale.

Certainly not worth spending a day on something with a projected value of £850.

Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 22 Aug 11 at 13:11
Latest Forum Posts