Motoring Discussion > Length and Breadth of Wales. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 10

Length and Breadth of Wales. - R.P.
....and I report that the country's roads are in good condition - generally.

Camping trip by motorcycle to St David's in Pembrokeshire. Total miles were just shy of 400 miles. Travelled down the coast via Porthmadog/Dolgellau/Aberystwyth a leisurely trip on the RT - bang in its comfort zone, loaded with basic camping stuff. Nearly got wiped out in Newport (where Focus stayed) a random road crossing by some old man in an electric scooter - absolutely no regard for traffic. Weather closed in on Saturday night, but spent it in the excellent City Inn providers of fine ale and decent food (mainly locals the other places were jam packed with tourists) - sun broke out to dry the tent yesterday morning and then a leisurely via Solva and Newgale (superb - like Greece yesterday but not as hot), then the A40 as far as Llandovery - then a sat-nav choice over the hills to Llandrindod Wells to the A470 and then a long ride home to Anglesey. The bike was filled up with Shell 98 in Port on the way down and that would have lasted me back to my house had I not bottled out and refilled there on the way back. Calculations showed a decent 65mpg not bad for a big bike with a load - and I "made progress" from Caersws home.

Total comfort, I felt somewhat ragged at the start of the journey but after 8 hours riding felt better and no aches at all today.

Lots of improvements on the A40 - very good surfaces everywhere..
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 22 Aug 11 at 09:56
 Length and Breadth of Wales. - Mike Hannon
Lucky you. It was 38 here yesterday but I know what I would rather have been doing.
 Length and Breadth of Wales. - Iffy
Good to hear it's still possible to enjoy some proper motorcycle touring.

I'm almost tempted, except I don't have the licence, the spare time or the spare cash.

Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 22 Aug 11 at 13:15
 Length and Breadth of Wales. - Zero
Cut two wheels off the CC3

Sorted.
 Length and Breadth of Wales. - Dog
>>Solva and Newgale<<

Looks like Cornwall, can you get an arf decent pasty there I wonder :)
 Length and Breadth of Wales. - MD
Or a full one!
 Length and Breadth of Wales. - Robin O'Reliant
I'm working in St Davids and Solva tomorrow.

It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta...
It was quite special over the weekend - the bay was sort of hazy and mysterious when the sun came out, Newgale was smart enough for an unscheduled stop...
I taught a dog to swim on newgale beach. I like the drive to there, that nice dip down to it.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 22 Aug 11 at 21:26
It was a slightly challenging camber, as we had to descend slowly because of adverse traffic, there is a sort of sightly higher optimum speed for those bends I reckon, noting stupid just to do with balance and gyroscopic stuff..
yeah, it flows at the right speed,
Latest Forum Posts