Motoring Discussion > Running in Winter or M&S tyres Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 9

Running in Winter or M&S tyres - henry k
I have just been checking up on running my new tyres in.

Being a low mileage type from Surrey I will not be fitting winter tyres even for the cold months however I came across the following:-

New mud and snow tyres must be fitted before the first snowfall, in order to abrade the surface of the tread.
Obvious once you think about it

www.firststop-tyreexperts.co.uk/running-in-your-new-tyres.aspx
 Running in Winter or M&S tyres - Lygonos
Or it's clever marketing to get you to buy them NOW, rather than to wait to see if the winter will be a bad one... whereupon the company will be unable to supply all the tyres requested due to a lack of supply like last year.

Better a definite sale now than a 'maybe' sale in 3-4 months.
 Running in Winter or M&S tyres - -
Nokian winters improved a lot after 500 miles or so, before that they would wheelspin now and again if i took off sharpish in the wet, after running in that disappeared.

I had wondered for a while if i'd dropped a clanger with the Nokians, as the previously bought Vredestein winters on the pick up needed no bedding in.

Vred summer car tyres haven't needed bedding in either, full wet grip from the off.
 Running in Winter or M&S tyres - corax
>> Nokian winters improved a lot after 500 miles or so, before that they would wheelspin
>> now and again if i took off sharpish in the wet, after running in that
>> disappeared.

Were these WR G2's GB? How did you find them in comparison to the Vredesteins?
>> Were these WR G2's GB? How did you find them in comparison to the Vredesteins?

Yes Corax they are WRG2's, as for comparing that's difficult, as the Vreds were on the pick up and the Nokians are my winter set for the Benz.

What i can say is that both were extremely sure footed in cold wet and iced roads, both coped without falter in snow, and neither show any signs of abnormal or really any wear...Vreds lost about 1mm in 3 winters.
The Nokians are quieter, much quieter than my Toyo summers, however they are 215 (or 225..;), the Vreds are 265 section so would probably be noisier anyway and being a pick up less insulation, though it was as good as pick ups get as i'd soundproofed it considerably.

Noise wise, i suppose in a way you can't compare with summer tyres as all tyres seem reasonably quiet in the cold, to compare properly you'd have to run them all year round, not practical, not as they'd be dangerous but too expensive to do so....however, a man of your means...:-)
>> Noise wise, i suppose in a way you can't compare with summer tyres as all
>> tyres seem reasonably quiet in the cold, to compare properly you'd have to run them
>> all year round, not practical, not as they'd be dangerous but too expensive to do
>> so....however, a man of your means...:-)

Well, I am thinking of buying a set to run all year round. A few people on a Mercedes forum have said they've kept them on and haven't noticed an increase in wear over summer tyres, you just lose a few of the surface sipes, but it doesn't affect their performance. I only do around 6000 miles a year so it's not really the end of the world if they do wear prematurely. The Nokians seem a good price as well.
The Nokians seem a good price as well.
>>

Have a quick poke nose on Camskills and Mytyres before taking the plunge, they've both been offering Vred Quatrac 3 all seasons in various sizes at decent prices, i snapped a set up at Camskills for me daughter's Civic ready for the winter....note on Camskills they come up around £3 cheaper looking at normal tyres than if you search on winter tyres.
Camskills £10 del for 4, Mytyres free del.

The previous model Quatrac 2's on her cruelly thrashed 106 covered over 40K miles with rotating and still around 3mm.

I knew you had some wonga, only the well heeled could consider winter tyres all round, following the snow round with the skis in the Thule box i s'pose..:0)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 22 Aug 11 at 14:40
>> I knew you had some wonga, only the well heeled could consider winter tyres all
>> round, following the snow round with the skis in the Thule box i s'pose..:0)

Nah, just spend too much on cars :)
 Running in Winter or M&S tyres - swiss tony
>> Or it's clever marketing to get you to buy them NOW, rather than to wait
>> to see if the winter will be a bad one... whereupon the company will be
>> unable to supply all the tyres requested due to a lack of supply like last
>> year.
>>
>> Better a definite sale now than a 'maybe' sale in 3-4 months.
>>
Good luck trying to buy any 'now'
I keep getting enquires for winter tyres, but all my suppliers have no stock until Sept/Oct....
 Running in Winter or M&S tyres - PR
As we speak mine are winging their way to me from Mytyres, complete with steel rims. Not sure they had a full selection however. I went for some Avon Ice tourers as a mid range choice
Latest Forum Posts