Motoring Discussion > Google Earth Traffic Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 9

Google Earth Traffic - CGNorwich
Just tinkering around with Google Earth and discovered that it shows live traffic conditions throughout the UK - you can discover what speed the traffic is moving on any main road in the UK.

I'm sure a lot of you knew about this but just in case there are some who didn't and are interested there you go!
 Google Earth Traffic - Bill Payer
I didn't know it did that. I usually use TomTom's site.
 Google Earth Traffic - lancara
As Google Maps with Navigation is available as a free download for Android phones/tablets, and giving a satellite map view rather than the normal sat-nav lines, I don't think there's a very big future for Tom Tom and Garmin
 Google Earth Traffic - CGNorwich
Don't think a smart phone really compares with a purpose built Sat Nav. They will be around for a good time yet.
 Google Earth Traffic - rtj70
Whilst Google map in a browser does indeed show traffic. A lot more convenient to have the info where you are and for navigation use - Google Navigator uses it.

But if you hadn't planned on sticking your TomTom or whatever to the screen, plugging it in etc. before setting out then apps on say an Android phone like RAC Traffic is even better. With an app to link into the Highways Agencies cameras a way to check holdups.

The days for standalone sat navs could be numbered. So many smart phones with it for free/included or cheap. And a lot of cars with it inbuilt.

When people wanted ICE systems that could handle media and integrate with phones etc it needed more powerful ICE systems. Which now often have sat nav.

For long journeys I have used TomTom for the last 8 years in one form or other in the UK and overseas. Sometimes I've paid a subscription to Traffic and benefited but recently haven't driven near enough to benefit. Next car has sat nav as standard with TMC traffic.... will have to see.

TomTom also provided camera alerts.... can do that on my phone or by running the TomTom off the 12v supply in the boot!
 Google Earth Traffic - Zero
>> As Google Maps with Navigation is available as a free download for Android phones/tablets, and
>> giving a satellite map view rather than the normal sat-nav lines, I don't think there's
>> a very big future for Tom Tom and Garmin

If you have ever used a smartphone for serious navigation you will see that they do indeed have a future.

I have whittered on about this before but smartphone user interfaces, visuals and audio are really not suited to use as car sat nav.

Last edited by: Zero on Sun 21 Aug 11 at 09:42
 Google Earth Traffic - Roger.
Well, I don't have a smartphone, nor will I ever have one, but I have just bought a Garmin Nüvi with a 5" screen, Western European mapping and live traffic re-routing, I have also invested £7.99 in a one off speed camera "extra" update, in preparation for an up-coming trip to the land of sauerkraut to see family.
So-far, it is streets (!) ahead of the cheapo MyGuide I have just retired.
 Google Earth Traffic - lancara
As noted above, the emphasis was on the future, given Google Navigation is in beta status currently. Just think people will prefer this presentation to the traditional sat-nav maps:

flickr.com/gp/97097494@N00/147U4r
 Google Earth Traffic - Zero
>> As noted above, the emphasis was on the future, given Google Navigation is in beta
>> status currently. Just think people will prefer this presentation to the traditional sat-nav maps:
>>
>> flickr.com/gp/97097494@N00/147U4r

I don't think they will, anyway the next version of Sat Navs will be augmented reality, where the sat nav has a camera, and provides a real time picture of what you see, with directions overlayed on top of it. A map overlay is not required, just the vector information.
 Google Earth Traffic - Manatee
And as I said in Zookeeper's thread earlier, with Google Maps traffic, you can change the day and time to get a forecast too.

Looking now, it seems last night's forecast of slow traffic on the M25 between the M1 and Potters Bar, and from the A12 to Dartford, was correct.

Of course they are marking their own homework, so they might have fiddled it.
Latest Forum Posts