Motoring Discussion > Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 41

Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Runfer D'Hills
OK - Fictitious scenario. Someone stole your car yesterday and wrote it off. Your insurance company are jolly decent chaps and have paid out in full today ( Tee Hee )

So, you've got your wedge, you need a car urgently. What would you buy tomorrow morning?

I won't bother to tell you mine. You already know...

:-)
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - devonite
>>Your insurance company are jolly decent

in that case im not overly bothered as long as irs chauffeur driven!
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Skoda
Bah. There's nothing else in my price bracket.

E92 M3 - still fetching over 20k all day long
6-cyl 3 series - perhaps but would only have a year's warranty left on it at this price and at that age will only have come from a hire car company

Caterham - 19k gets you the car and entry to the 1st year of the Caterham season, but i couldn't be bothered travelling so far to compete. It's a toy too, plus the hot floor would annoy me, not much of a road car, rains too much here for an open top track car. Pass.

Golf / TT etc. - don't see the value over what i've got for the extremely similar handling and the same engine. Smaller interior. Pass.

Focus RS - tempting but too in your face. ST - thirstier and slower than what i've got.

Merc... no chance

Volvo - nah.

370z - nope

I'd take my cheque into the skoda dealer and order another Petrol Vrs DSG in candy white...

Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - henry k
Thats not fun !! :-(
A Go Compare type site said my Mondeo book value is £300
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - R.P.
A Morgan Three wheeler - a new on like this :-

www.morgan3wheeler.co.uk/
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - MrTee43
Jaguar XF.
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Zero
As i would only get just over 4 grand for the lancer

this one

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201130407130588
Can I change my mind,,

I was sort of bimbling along at around 75-80 today when I became aware of a car drawing up alongside me in lane 2, the driver glanced across and then floored it and it disappeared rapidly down the 55 - A Merecedes Benz C63 AMG - struck me as some sort of performance Merc...and the first one I actually ever fancied........
>> Can I change my mind,,

No - you are stuck with that stupid three wheeler you thought you wanted.
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Lygonos
Assuming £25k for the Shogun, I'd get a Hyundai i20 1.2 petrol (~£8.5k new) and trouser the change.

Or maybe a new Astra for well under 10 grand. ( www.new-car-discount.com/ )

The FRV is plenty capable of ferrying the lot of us +1.

I'd miss the insanely funky stereo on the Shogun though!
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - MD
>> Assuming £25k for the Shogun, I'd get a Hyundai i20 1.2 petrol (~£8.5k new) and
>> trouser the change.
>>
>> Or maybe a new Astra for well under 10 grand. ( www.new-car-discount.com/ )
>>
I read that as a new Aston. Oh! poop, back to dozing.
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Kevin
>21:39 A Morgan Three wheeler - a new on like this :-

>21:55 Can I change my mind,,

You sound like Mrs K.
I'm the only metrosexual in the village !
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Londoner
What would I buy?
I'd just get another A5, maybe upgrade to quattro. Have to say though that in the wet, the FWD Audi is far more sure-footed than my previous 3 series, so I wonder if I would really need AWD at all (?).
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - legacylad
Assuming the insurance company paid out circa £10k which is what I paid for my '04 330ci convertible 18 months ago, I would get an MX5. Or a 350Z.

Only joking.
Nothing beats that gorgeous turbine like smoothness of the 6cyl. This time though it would have heated seats, again in serviceable grey leather, probably metallic blue paintwork, and, fingers crossed, cost a grand less.
The spare grand would be spent on a weeks skiing in Val Thorens in January, staying at Le Sherpa.

Thank you very much.
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - henry k
If my insurance was generous I could get a lot of low mileage metal

DAEWOO LEGANZA 2.0 CDX 4dr Auto Saloon
£395
1998 (S reg), Saloon
37,000 miles Automatic 2.0L Petrol
37,000 miles, 4 Door Saloon, Red, Petrol, Automatic, MOT november, Power steering, SAT NAV, Leather interior, Electric windows, Electric mirrors, CD stereo, CEntral locking, Alloy, …

But this looks better and I could put an offer in so maybe £200 left for unexpected running costs.

1998 TOYOTA CAMRY 3.0i V6 4dr Auto Saloon
(Lots of photos)
110,000 miles, 4 Door Saloon, Green, Petrol, Automatic. Immaculate leather interior with complete service history. MOT till july 2012. tax til 31/10/11. drives very comfortable and as its a toyota the maintenance cost is very low. very spacious. theres a dent on the boot apart from that has the standard light scratches for a car this age. It has cruise control and it's a very clean car. £120 ONO.

Interesting what is at the bottom end of the food chain.
Pity I need an estate, I could be humming around in this,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201133410551779
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Dave_
For the same money, I'd go for another Mondeo TDCi 130 6-speed, I'd try and land a Zetec though instead of an LX - if only for the climate control over aircon. Wouldn't go for any higher spec though, as the bigger tyres cost a fortune. The insured "market value" of mine seems to be about £800 over the purchase price so depreciation shouldn't be an issue for a while.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 19 Aug 11 at 23:11
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - -
For the likely value of my old car there happens to be a rather nice X plate Landcruiser Colorado in dark green at a small indy dealer i pass every day on the way to work.

I've been leering over 53/54 plate V8 petrol RR Vogue's with LPG conversions, really must get help, it'd be at the menders half the time...equivalent Landcruiser Amazons are being advertised for more money.
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - madf
Even nicer ...

£1,0001997 TOYOTA CAMRY 3.0i V6 4dr Auto Saloon Private

1997 (P reg) Saloon 54,000 miles Automatic 3.0L Petrol 54,000 miles, 4 Door Saloon, Grey, Petrol, Automatic. 3.0 V6. 54000 miles. 2 Owners. FDSH.EW.ESR.Electric seat adjustment. Full grey leather interior. Wood trim. A/C. Rear fold down seats. MOT Nov2011. Taxed Jan2012. Car is in brilliant shape considering it's age. Lovely cruiser. Minor nick on one seat and paint on rear bumper. £1,000 ONO.

Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Dog
I quite like my Lancer estate & enjoy driving it so I'd go for another one,

I always wondered what the shoe exec. saw in estate cars but I think they are more practical than a hatchbacks.

>> I quite like my Lancer estate & enjoy driving it so I'd go for another
>> one,

Its quite an discrete exclusive club! Don't shout about it or they will all want one.
I know, I know - I must learn to keep schtum!
If you bought that Volvo Z the good burghers of Surrey ( Margot & Gerry's progeny ) would think your period of self-imposed austerity had come to an end. Some of them might even start speaking to you again !

Preposterous I know but people are very biddable. Much much more than they realise or care to admit to themselves.

However, you might ( and I might agree with you actually ) feel that in itself could be a very good reason to keep the Lancer....

I'd most probably have another large estate and would fairly predictably start by shopping for a Mondy but I could see myself being persuaded by a Jaaaaag. They're Mondeos Jim, but not as we know them...

:-)
You know, I bought the lancer fully prepared for it to be my cheap, sensible but hairshirt motor.

In one respect its been s severe disappointment. Its been cheap, sensible, practical, but failed to provide self flagellation satisfaction.

Its gone about its business in a quiet (very in fact) comfortable, unstressed, undramatic way. its now done 22k in my hands and I have given it some fair attempts to annoy and disappoint, and its failed to even come up remotely with these goods.

initially soulless and boring, its refusal to be bullied away from its stubborn adherence to sensible reliable relaxing transport, has in a perverse way given it some character.

at 42k i whipped off the front wheels hoping to surprise it and catch it out with its brake pad knickers down, but it just smirked at me, flashing another 40ks worth of wear. Its become a battle of wills, I am hunting for things to do on it, and its refusing to oblige. I am going to change the brake fluid just for the hell of it, although I know I will stick its tongue out at me and eject perfectly clean bubble free fluid in the jar out of spite.
Similar experience for me re Mondeos. I first started buying them when I first became self-employed. I'd had a string of company cars prior to that, some of which might have been categorised as "desirable". Practicality kicked in when I started paying my own bills. I expected to be disappointed. In fact, on the contrary, they were among the best cars I've ever had.
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - corax
>> I expected to be disappointed. In fact, on the contrary, they were among the best
>> cars I've ever had.

Stop it Humph, I'll end up buying one myself. I like the look of the old shape Renault Sport Megane 175 DCi. The same chassis as the petrol cars combined with good economy. I love the look of the fast versions - a silver one with anthracite alloys I think. Of course I've never driven one apart from a courtesy 1.6 petrol, so it may turn out to be a disappointment.

I change my mind like the wind though.

Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - corax
>> I expected to be disappointed. In fact, on the contrary, they were among the best
>> cars I've ever had.

Humph, there's a guy on PistonHeads that has an estate Ghia X TDCi with 341000 miles. He's had a few bits replaced though :

1 rear shock
Alternator
Two starter motors
1 clutch/DMF
1 rear arm bush
1 trackrod end
1 rear caliper
2 injectors

And always run on BP and Ford approved 5W-30 oil. Selling soon :)
>>Its gone about its business in a quiet (very in fact)<<

That fact has caught me out too many times ... I have the Tiptronic (type) auto and orften use the semi-auto mode, when I come to a stop at junctions, roundabouts etc. it will change into 1st and stay there - until I begin to notice the lack of power, a lesser chariot would let you (me) know by the audible screaming away of the engine :(
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Alanovich

>> 1998 TOYOTA CAMRY 3.0i V6 4dr Auto Saloon
>> £120 ONO.

That HAS to be a scam, or something fishy. £120 with a years MoT and some tax remaining? Pull the other one.
>>As i would only get just over 4 grand for the lancer this one
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201130407130588>>

I showed that Vulva to my mate who owns one, and he showed me this in preference ~

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201131408658359/sort/priceasc/usedcars/body-type/estate/fuel-type/diesel/make/jaguar/radius/200/postcode/pl34hp/page/1?logcode=p
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Avant
I'm with Skoda on this one - another Octavia vRS petrol, although mine's the estate. I'd just try a manual in case I've been missing anything, but almost certainly go for another DSG. Mine has been not only great at the job it's designed to do, but fun to drive as well. What more could I ask? (but see below....).

Actually until next March I wouldn't have a choice: the insurance company would give me the same again.

For £20k or so, I'd have a new Skoda over a used Audi any time. But if I had lots of money, would I be tempted by a new 3.0 litre Audi? In defiance of all logic, yes I would.
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Mike Hannon
As this is France I would take the €1,700 I might get for the Prelude if I was lucky and take it to our local garage (a Citroen dealer) and beg him to sell me the immaculate 1992 Peugeot 309 that belonged all its life to my neighbour. He gave her €700 for it more than two years ago and it has been standing on his forecourt marked €1,800 ever since.

More seriously, I am ready to buy a new or otherwise daily driver tomorrow morning, with few provisos - regulars will know I've been looking for ages - but I still really can't think of a single motor that enthuses me enough to want to take the step.
Recent considerations have included the Renault 4L (now too expensive for a nice one) and the Alfa Brera (not enough room in the back to be practical).

>> For £20k or so, I'd have a new Skoda over a used Audi any time.
>> But if I had lots of money, would I be tempted by a new 3.0
>> litre Audi? In defiance of all logic, yes I would.

Don't think it's illogical.

I wrote off the Golf / TT comparison above but the one car in the VAG A5 chassis family I would consider over the octy is an Audi S3. Not as practical but from head to toe every little bit is improved, from the light weight suspension to the bigger intercooler and nicer interior.

Wouldn't consider anything less, would just pocket the change.
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Stuu
If I could stretch to it, a Hyundai Sonata diesel ( have driven one, lovely big cheap car but nice to drive ), if not Kia Cerato diesel which is shaping up for my next car. Not exciting but everytime I fill up with fuel it seems exciting enough when I have to pay the man.
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - rtj70
The two cars I wanted (for my modest budget/income) recently were a VW Passat CC or an Audi A5 Sportback. The former a lot cheaper. Trouble is if the current car was mine and I got a payout in full... it would not get me either. It is 4 years old in Oct for a start. And was only £19000 when new.

On the other hand, if the scenario was I had a company car and it was stolen/written off... I could get what I want. I was in that situation in 2000 when my Golf GTi was stolen.... After 3 months it was written off and I got a Passat.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 21 Aug 11 at 23:29
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Mapmaker
>> If I could stretch to it, a Hyundai Sonata diesel ( have driven one, lovely
>> big cheap car but nice to drive ), if not Kia Cerato diesel which is
>> shaping up for my next car. Not exciting but everytime I fill up with fuel
>> it seems exciting enough when I have to pay the man.

Who thought it a good idea to encourage Stu to change his car...
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Alanovich
Yer tiz:

tinyurl.com/3le4wa9

Must be owned by a judge, going by the number plate.

Or an erstwhile Notting Holian, now Sussexensian of this parish?
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Mapmaker
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201128401721315/sort/priceasc/usedcars/body-type/estate/model/626/make/mazda/page/1/radius/1500/postcode/w1a1aa?logcode=p

That's a bargain for somebody.
Good find mapmaker. Used prices do seem to be dropping a bit again.
 Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Iffy
The more I think about this thread, the less fun I think it would be.

I would hope to get £10K for the CC3, but what would that buy me?

Don't fancy anyone else's 09 CC3, partly because I don't know how lucky I've been to buy a reliable one which doesn't leak.

Having just seen the MG TFs for £12K in another thread, I might pull out a couple of grand and buy one of those, although the low driving position and small boot would probably drive me nuts.

Alternatively, a large, heavily depreciated Japanese or Korean petrol auto would be a temptation, but I expect I would soon tire of putting fuel in it.

Just for fun, what would you buy tomorrow? - Alastairw
Of course, those of us with return to invoice insurance will effectively be able to go shopping for a newer car with the insurance payout.
Latest Forum Posts