Motoring Discussion > Gearing up for Insurance SORN Legal Questions
Thread Author: Dwight Van Driver Replies: 8

Gearing up for Insurance SORN - Dwight Van Driver
Looks like we are cranking up to bringing in the SORN for Insurance under Road Safety Act 2006.
A little bit of legislation to assist in that MIB will be able to access DVLA for Keeper details

The Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2010 w.e.f. 30.april 2010

enables the Secretary of State to make particulars available to the Motor Insurers’ Bureau. This is regarding the enforcement, by the Secretary of State, of the offence of keeping a vehicle which does not meet the insurance requirements under section 144A of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and regulation 2(4) allows particulars to be disclosed to the Motor Insurers’ Bureau for a purpose related to such enforcement when that section is in force.

dvd
 Gearing up for Insurance SORN - Bellboy
could you put that in thick mens terms please?
 Gearing up for Insurance SORN - Old Navy
Im no expert, but sounds as if they are going to enforce "You must have insurance unless the car is SORN'D".
 Gearing up for Insurance SORN - zookeeper
i thought it was to be insured even if SORNED ...some clarity from the legal beagals please
 Gearing up for Insurance SORN - Dwight Van Driver
Like Excise and SORN to provide continous registration.

Car on the road and Insured.--- OK

Car off the Road and No Insurance but SORN --- OK

Car No Insurance and No Sorn ------ Offence.

dvd
 Gearing up for Insurance SORN - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> Car No Insurance and No Sorn ------ Offence.
>>

>>

Unless the car has been off the road from pre-SORN days, or has been notified as scrapped.
 Gearing up for Insurance SORN - Dave
Here in sunny Sweden the road tax people have a link to the insurers. So if your insurance runs out, but it's still taxed, then they don't actually fine you, but the state charges a daily rate to insure the car for you. I think it's about £9/day, so whilst not technically a fine, it's can run up fairly quickly although there's no points on your licence and no court case.
 Gearing up for Insurance SORN - Badwolf
What a sensible, non-confrontational idea. Such a difference from the 'tax them hard and fine them even harder' approach that we have to put up with.
 Gearing up for Insurance SORN - commerdriver
Problem in this country is that we have so many "off the radar" cars. If we can't trace the owners in order to make sure that cars are taxed how are we going to trace them to pay for the insurance charges.
I think, unfortunately, that you would still find the same people taking the hit, i.e. the law abiding motorist who forgets or makes a mistake.
More ANPR and more on the road police to enforce it is still the only real answer.
Latest Forum Posts