Motoring Discussion > That Yay Moment Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 68

That Yay Moment - Bromptonaut
Don't you love it when you've found and fixed a car problem.

Came back from hols to find that after two weeks idle the Xantia's screenwashers were kaput. Wipe part of the sequence was fine both fron and rear but no fluid at either end; pump silent. Managed to extract pump & disconnect electrics then blow through. Tested supply with multi meter - 12v both ways. Couldn't find my 12v static supply and bit chary of connecting across battery so tested in situ - pump audibly functioning!!!

Either the connection was dodgy or a foreign body had jammed it but been blown out?

Either way it'd have been £50+ for the garage to look at.
 That Yay Moment - R.P.
Just had that a few minutes ago - removing a wing mirror from the Kawasaki, required some dis assembly and three children's sized hands with six inch fingers....anyway thanks to a perfectly photographed website - job done.
 That Yay Moment - bathtub tom
>>removing a wing mirror from the Kawasaki

Another mod ain't gonna like that. ;>)
 That Yay Moment - R.P.
It's almost a classic wing mirror, well certainly more wing mirror than a door mirror anyway !
 That Yay Moment - VxFan
>> >>removing a wing mirror from the Kawasaki
>>
>> Another mod ain't gonna like that. ;>)

Difficult one as a motorbike doesn't have wings or doors?

Handlebar, fairing or cockpit mirror perhaps?
 That Yay Moment - Zero
>> Just had that a few minutes ago - removing a wing mirror from the Kawasaki,
>> required some dis assembly and three children's sized hands with six inch fingers..

And they say the "haves" have not been looting!
 That Yay Moment - Runfer D'Hills
I've just had a different type of moment. Hit a hidden cat turd in long grass with my petrol strimmer at max revs...

:-(((
 That Yay Moment - R.P.
Aha - yet another YAY ! moment. A small American made petrol strimmer, laid dormant for the last 5 years or so, which I bought in 1987, new plug, new fuel mix and it started up without going on the choke......brill.
There's something very satisfying about petrol powered garden tools. A sense of being a sort of "Terminator" you just don't get with wimpy electric ones. I want a petrol hedge trimmer now despite only having a very small hedge. Oh, and a chainsaw...

( McCulloch RP with a yellow engine cover? Mine can mince and fling wet cat turds very effectively indeed )

:-)
 That Yay Moment - -
Petrol powered and more than powerful enough for the job, yay.

Bought a proper Hayter rotary mower a few weeks ago, it sounds right, looks the business in dark green, RWD so handles well..;) and makes short work of our patch.

Brought enjoyment to the cutting and in half the time it took before, recuts the cuttings so no need to fit the grass box, pine cones simply vanish.

Luckily any turds i missed when checking just get chopped up finely.
 That Yay Moment - Fenlander
>>>something very satisfying about petrol powered garden tools. A sense of being a sort of "Terminator"

Agreed.

We are amusing ourselves at the moment with a possible move to a quiet Mondeo Ghia of a cul-de-sac after 20yrs in the rural fen. I'm actually selling off some of the motor powered stuff already for fear we'll be outcasts from the start when Pickfords unload a petrol powered everything... they'll be stressing there'll never be another quiet weekend until they drive us out.
 That Yay Moment - R.P.
We have six large trees at the bottom of the garden, one of which is "protected" now if that ain't grounds for a chainsaw.....resisted so far. The ride on mower (with headlamps) got delivered today. Having been made in the US it has a cup-holder....oh Joy, Coffee in a thermal mug and a morning's mowing on the cards....brilliant.
 That Yay Moment - legacylad
R.P.
Hope you purchase a decent Stanley insulated mug, not one of the £2 one's I saw in Asda the other Sunday.
 That Yay Moment - CGNorwich
Have a petrol mower but needed a repair recently and so I dug out the 30 year old manual cylinder mower which I have kept in good condition. Took a fair bit longer but was surprised how efficient the machine is and how blissfully quiet with just a satisfying whir. Could listen to my ipod while I mowed. Like chainsaws and hedge trimmers you can manage quite well without!
 That Yay Moment - Clk Sec
>>Like chainsaws and hedge trimmers you can manage quite well without!

I wish more people would...
 That Yay Moment - Zero
yeah, but you can feel the torque and vibration of a petrol power tool in your hand! And it makes smoke and it smells!
Yes indeed and you get to spark them up while your neighbour is poncing about with his electric ones. Instant Alpha male status.
 That Yay Moment - Armel Coussine
And when some tedious publisher or editor really gets up your nose you can go in their office and saw their desk in half without touching them at all.

Not something I've ever done to tell the truth. But I have wanted to once or twice, and the carphounds really deserved it too.
 That Yay Moment - R.P.
Talking of smells, two bits of work today meant that the garage now has the aromatic properties of s back street garage. The winter tyre's distinctive smells blend nicely with petrol, two stroke smoke - wish I could bottles it,,,,
>> wish I could bottles it,,,,

No need to feel ashamed PU. We have all bottled it in our time.
 That Yay Moment - Ian (Cape Town)
>> And when some tedious publisher or editor really gets up your nose you can go
>> in their office and saw their desk in half without touching them at all.

One of our local hostelries suffered an attack like this. Turns out they 'bought' a few of those outside timber all-in-one-six-person-bench-and-table jobs, and didn't bother to pay the chap come due date.
The chap in question decided that rather than chase it through the courts for non-payment, he would rather turn up with a few lads on a lovely summer's evening, and chop the tables into lumps with chainsaws.

After the mayhem, he politely explained to the (remaining) clientele why he had done so.

That Yay Moment - MD
>> Yes indeed and you get to spark them up while your neighbour is poncing about
>> with his electric ones. Instant Alpha male status.
>>
At 06.30!!
yeah, but you can feel the torque and vibration of a petrol power tool in your hand! And it makes smoke and it smells!

Ahh the joys of Sunday morning in the garden chez Zero. Do you have any trees or shrubs left standing or have you chain-sawed the lot and put it through your industrial grade petrol engined shredder?
 That Yay Moment - Zero
Thats in the autumn dear boy, but shred it? dear dear no, its autumn bonfire time! More smells and smokes!!!

Men need to light fires.
Indeed and the left over petrol ready mixed with a bit of 2 stroke gets even a wet bonfire going. It just has to be done really.
 That Yay Moment - R.P.
As it happens I have a little bit of two stroke left after the afternoon's strimming. A petrol strimmer is so much more satisfying than an electrical one......no cable to trip over, that extra heat generation, the little bit of smoke (not much this time due to a properly measured mix) - I wonder if I can get some Castrol R for it ? Now that would be something.
>> Men need to light fires.

But only some can be bothered to fight liars.
I've just been out with my lopping pole. A ten foot metal rod with a secateur head on the end operated by a lever on the handle. Lets you trim high branches. Very pleasing.
 That Yay Moment - Zero
>> I've just been out with my lopping pole. A ten foot metal rod with a
>> secateur head on the end operated by a lever on the handle. Lets you trim
>> high branches. Very pleasing.

but no petrol engine tho.
 That Yay Moment - MD
>> I've just been out with my lopping pole. A ten foot metal rod with a
>> secateur head on the end operated by a lever on the handle. Lets you trim
>> high branches. Very pleasing.
>>
I NEED to borrow that with a further 8ft extension. What time can you deliver?
You need the right shredder:

www.ssiworld.com/watch/the_monster.htm
 That Yay Moment - Zero
Yesssssssssssssss

That would handle humphs old bike rack no problemo.
I've kept it for you specially. Refused some jolly good offers too. On reflection though I can see that it might seem a liitle ostentatious clipped onto the likes of a Lancer estate...
 That Yay Moment - Zero
Indeed wouldn't want to ruin the classic lines of the gentlemans shooting brake now would we.
 That Yay Moment - sherlock47
The real question must be what happens when it jams? I can imagine 2" diameter shear pins snapping like tooth picks :)

There must an overwhelming urge for disillusioned employees to drop a small european car into the hopper.

Perhaps the ultimate solution of what to do with convicted rioters?
Last edited by: pmh on Sat 13 Aug 11 at 20:52
 That Yay Moment - swiss tony
>> There must an overwhelming urge for disillusioned employees to drop a small european car into the hopper.
>>
One of these? www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPDLX0koXFs&feature=relmfu
Lots more shredding here;
www.ssiworld.com/watch/
There's a lurid movie that I've seen twice I think, with a scene in which someone is found putting a murder victim of his through a wood shredder, clouds of pink slurry spraying into the sawdust pile and this bloke stuffing a leg with a boot on the end down the hopper...

I would hesitate to do that even to a publisher I must say. I think the noise might put me off.
Yes a touch extreme AC although I mentioned here the other day that I've invented a "Taser" app for mobile phones so you can zap the person at the other end with lots of volts if they deserve it. Well, I haven't actually invented it as such because I'm not clever enough but I've had the idea so I expect I just need to contract out the actual manufacturing bit. I anticipate with some confidence being extraordinarily rich very soon.

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 13 Aug 11 at 22:14
I think you mean the Coen Brothers film Fargo

For those wiht a delicate disposition look away now!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qWFhDvURLg
You're pretty into extreme shredding aren't you CG ? Norfolk always did strike me as a sort of gene pool cul-de-sac...

Many visit this neck of the woods Humph, few return....
Odd tractors in Norfolk. Tall things. Skinny wheels. Why?
 That Yay Moment - Zero
>> Odd tractors in Norfolk. Tall things. Skinny wheels. Why?

So the driver does not drown.
 That Yay Moment - Mapmaker
>> Odd tractors in Norfolk. Tall things. Skinny wheels. Why?
>>

So they can spray fully-grown cereal crops.
 That Yay Moment - Bromptonaut
>> So they can spray fully-grown cereal crops.

We were amused by the various permutations of tall/skinny tractors we saw in France. In that case to enable operations between or straddling rows of vines.
Thank you CGN. I like the Coen brothers although herself hates them. Fargo is an excellent movie.

It was only a sock though. A boot would have been better.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 13 Aug 11 at 22:36
 That Yay Moment - R.P.
We watched "No Country for Old Men" the other night. Very well crafted film, violent but very strange...
 That Yay Moment - Zero
with a DEEPLY unsatisfying ending.
I dunno Zeddo. I like the idea that Chigurh is still at large with his humane killer...
 That Yay Moment - R.P.
It was crying out for sequel, but it was well crafted
 That Yay Moment - R.P.
Well, yet another Kawasaki Yay moment- following the strip down of the bike to replace a mirror, I had to await two plastic trim rivets from Amazon (10 for 2.25) only to find they were too large - some Stanley assisted surgery to them ensured a tight fit - job sorted !
 That Yay Moment - Iffy
...following the strip down of the bike...

Sounds like an awfully complicated job just to replace a mirror.

That Yay Moment - R.P.
It was. No more than a door mirror on a car in reality.
 That Yay Moment - TeeCee
I've got one of those "multitool" thingies that's a brushcutter/trimmer, polesaw and hedge trimmer all-in-one.
A tree surgeon wanted 600EUR to remove two dead trees and pollard another, larger one. This thing cost 180EUR and did the lot with its polesaw.

The hedge trimmer bit is fantastic (and effectively free due to the above). Not only does it cut waaay much better than the 'leccy ones, as it's on a long pole and the angle of the cutting end is adjustable, I can do the whole lot from the ground in one go, rather than having to stop and move the ladder all the time. I have a lot of very large hedges.....

Magic!

I see your catshit and McCullough strimmer and raise you running over a Golden Retriever turd with a Flymo.
 That Yay Moment - neiltoo
>>>I've got one of those "multitool" thingies that's a brushcutter/trimmer, polesaw and hedge trimmer all-in-one.

Can you tell us the make and model?
 That Yay Moment - R.P.
Yes indeed - there is a documented need for something like that here...
 That Yay Moment - -
Indeed, i'm poised and ready, need a new high hedge trimmer anyway so might as well get something that can rip other stuff to shreds noisily too.
 That Yay Moment - Dog
Our previous gaff had high hedges to all 4 sides, and I used to cut them twice a year with a blimming Bosch cordless hedgetrimmer!

Just b4 we moved, I called a geezer in to do them, and he used a devious device like TC mentions

Made it look like childs play!
 That Yay Moment - Dog
This is the sort of thing my man used ~tinyurl.com/3zcewxe

Obviously not for diy'ers at that price, I've wondered how the QVC jobbies would shape up
 That Yay Moment - Iffy
This version is featured regularly on the Ideal World shopping channel:

tinyurl.com/3h82s2y

Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 17 Aug 11 at 13:02
 That Yay Moment - R.P.
Blinking heck iffy - that was a long one !
 That Yay Moment - Iffy
...Blinking heck iffy - that was a long one !...

But no longer, as no doubt you've now seen.

That Yay Moment - R.P.
I was in the middle of editing it - we must have crossed in the post so to speak
 That Yay Moment - Dog
That's the one Iffy, similar in Argos etc., don't know how they would've coped with my Box, Privet & Leylandi though.
 That Yay Moment - Iffy
...That's the one Iffy, similar in Argos etc., don't know how they would've coped with my Box, Privet & Leylandi though...

As you say, that's the £199 question.

It's intended for domestic, not professional, use, so may well do the job for most people.

The demos on the telly look good, but of course they would, wouldn't they?

That Yay Moment - Dog
>>The demos on the telly look good, but of course they would, wouldn't they?<<

Karcher anyone :)
 That Yay Moment - -
Waiting to see TeeCee's reference, he's used his to good effect.....unless he's going to link us to his own web page and has us dangling.....hmm that sounds like a plan:-)

That Yay Moment - Iffy
...Waiting to see TeeCee's reference...

He refers to euros, so I apprehend he may be in foreign parts.

Latest Forum Posts