Motoring Discussion > PX does it matter much? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 6

PX does it matter much? - sooty123
When buying a car from a dealer do people find they get better deals with or without px? I am told dealers prefer a deal with no car to px, is this true anymore or does it depend on the cars being px/bought?
 PX does it matter much? - Zero
the thing that matters is "cost to change". In short the actual amount of money you need to shell out to get the new car. How this cost to change is made up is up to you, amount of purchase price or amount of PX. This is the number you negotiate on.

PX does it matter much? - Stuu
I dont think all dealers are against px's. I think perhaps the brand focussed glass palaces may be if what your trading in isnt the same brand and too old for their forecourt, but smaller main dealers welcome any reasonable condition car without huge mileage as it supplies them with used car stock.
 PX does it matter much? - swiss tony
There is at the moment a series of radio ad's running from a well known car supermarket with a 'scrappage' theme.
the wording something along the lines of;

'£2000 off the windscreen sticker price'

That tells me, that the sticker price is above the real retail value of said car - maybe by as much as £2000?

as Zero said, work out the REAL 'cost to change' no matter how the deal is put, that will always stay much the same....
 PX does it matter much? - sooty123
I didn't mean so much cost to change, I meant is it a hassle for dealers to deal with the px cars? Is it something they want or not?
 PX does it matter much? - Zero
depends on your car and if they see any money in it.
 PX does it matter much? - idle_chatterer
>> depends on your car and if they see any money in it.
>>

So true, there's at least £1500 in a reasonably new PX that they can retail themselves, likewise if they have multiple franchises in their group or relationships with dealers of other marques in the vicinity who they'll trade the car to and make a smaller 'turn'.

At one point IIRC dealers were generally making more margin on second hand cars than on new ones ?

If it's a banger then things are different, you'll be effectively getting whatever discount they're prepared to give on the new car, not sure about PXs which are neither newish or bangers but as Zero says, it's always the price to change that matters.
Latest Forum Posts