Motoring Discussion > BMW 3-Series E90 - New job, new car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: DP Replies: 34

BMW 3-Series E90 - New job, new car - DP
Started a new job today, which among other things, gets me back into the company car world, with the usual arrangement of a pool car for the 3 month probation, and then being eligible to order a new one from the list in October, assuming all goes well.
So as of tonight, I am the custodian, for the first time in my life, of a BMW. In this case, a 58 reg 318i 6 speed manual saloon. It's had a pretty hard life judging by the number of small knocks and scratches on it, but at 46,000 miles, is just nicely run in.
I've only driven it 25 miles so far, so it's a bit soon to give anything other than a very early impression. So far:

Love the solidity, fit and finish, driving position and gearchange. The Start/Stop logic is also beautifully calibrated and works well.

Indifferent to the performance (adequate), ride quality (a bit fidgety) and steering (accurate, fast, but horribly numb)

Hate the indicators.

Will post an update in a week or two. :-)
 BMW 3-Series E90 - New job, new car - BobbyG
Hope you have logged all the damage with the fleet company before you took it over!
 BMW 3-Series E90 - New job, new car - Dave_
>> Hate the indicators.

Are they a mandatory three flashes? My Mondeo has that, it took me a couple of days to get 90% used to them, but a good couple of months to completely stop doing it wrong :)
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Mon 8 Aug 11 at 21:46
>> Are they a mandatory three flashes? My Mondeo has that, it took me a couple
>> of days to get 90% used to them, but a good couple of months to
>> completely stop doing it wrong :)

If you move the stalk to the first detent, it does the three flash "lane change" program. This works well. What annoys me is that the full deflection of the stalk still sometimes causes them to self cancel early. It happened twice on the way home that I signalled to exit a roundabout, and had the indicators self cancel at inopportune moments.

I don't understand what is wrong with a conventional indicator stalk. It works perfectly well.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - New job, new car - R.P.
Agreed
 BMW 3-Series E90 - New job, new car - idle_chatterer
IIRC from my E91 330d you can choose between 1 flash and 3 flashes on the lane change program, it's an option via the trip computer.

I found the ride on 225 section 17" runflats to be perfectly acceptable, you get used to the indicators and the handing beats anything else I've ever driven except for an Elise. Must admit to having a penchant for rather more power than the 318i offers though.
Yes, did a handover with the fleet manager. All damage recorded on a form and we both signed and dated it.
The X1 had a skittish ride on its OE Conti tyres, the new Pirellis have eliminated this. It has a good ride now. Both sets were/are run-flats, these cars are extraordinarily sensitive to their tyres. Check the pressures - if they are run flats make sure you re-calibrate the sensors from the indicator stalk.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 8 Aug 11 at 22:35
 BMW 3-Series E90 - New job, new car - Londoner
You never mentioned the handling, DP. Class leading in a BMW, IMHO.
I could never get the hang of the indicators either.
No Turbo to go wrong on your model. :-)
Congratulations and enjoy it!
Thanks all.

It's running 17" wheels with Pirelli Eufori@ run flats in size 225/45. I will check the pressures over the next few days, together with the usual cleaning, fiddling and poking that form that wonderfully enjoyable "bonding" period with a new car. Literally jumped in it and drove it home tonight, so no chance really to explore the handling, although I'm expecting good things. It certainly flows nicely along the back lanes between the office and the motorway even at sensible speeds.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - New job, new car - rtj70
When you consider what you want to be aware there is a 520d Efficient Dynamics now with emissions of only 119g/km of CO2 and just over 180bhp!
 BMW 3-Series E90 - New job, new car - Bill Payer

>> Literally jumped in it
>> and drove it home tonight,

I did that when I took over a previously users company car - came to a wet T-Junction and had a heart-stopping moment as the front wheels locked up (this was before ABS). Managed to stop by pumping the brake pedal. Front tyres were all but bald.
I once got a temp company car allocation and went to collect it (round trip over 350 miles).... car collected and I spotted it had a bulb out. I queried it and told I had to sort it. As I was driving home in the day I thought little of it.

I went to a dealer the next day for a bulb to be told it needed to go into the workshop. Lots of bits removed and over an hour later the car was mine again. No cost to me but who paid for the hour - lease company probably. Car? Audi A4 B5.
>>pool car for the 3 month probation, and then being eligible to order a new one from the list in October

So if the lead time of the car you order is 4 months.... you'd have the new car next year?
 BMW 3-Series E90 - New job, new car - -
Congratulations on the new job DP, the probation will fly past.

Not a bad pool car mind....no tax burden is there?...i'd be inclined to order one with as long a waiting period as possible when the time comes..;)
 BMW 3-Series E90 - New job, new car - Zero
>> Congratulations on the new job DP, the probation will fly past.
>>
>> Not a bad pool car mind....no tax burden is there?...

Yes there is.

BMW 3-Series E90 - New job, new car - Skoda
Congrats on the new job DP. The indicators are a faffing nuisance, but some folks get used to them, not sure if I would or not.

rainy season not far away, nothing slides round corners better than a german company hack :-)
 BMW 3-Series E90 - New job, new car - corax
Hope you enjoy your BMW, although there will be pros and cons just like any car, no doubt you'll include these in a report. So the old PD warhorse will be getting a rest then?

:)
 BMW 3-Series E90 - New job, new car - Iffy
DP,

If you fancy drifting your own thread, I'm sure we'd all like to hear a little about the new job.

BMW 3-Series E90 - New job, new car - Avant
Good news on the new job DP - yes, I agree it would be interesting to know more unless it's confidential. I seem to remember you were doing pioneering work in your old job on some product that we'd all find useful, but I can't remember what it was!

You'll find the BMW / VAG comparison interesting. It's one which I've often made in the past with long test drives of the 3-series which I could never quite get on with. Now I've had a Z3 for three years I might be mreo used to it.

I agree about the indicators: SWMBO's Mini has the BMW illogical set-up, and in the Mini it's spread to the wiper switch. The VAG way (three flashes for lane change, normal self-cancelling with the stalk pushewd fully to left or right) is the way all cars should have it.
Totally agree with you Avant.
I respect BMW's strengths, but like you "I could never quite get on with" them.

The indicator thing is a small issue - but it niggles. It reminds me of the way that Sony clung to mini disc long after it was obviously not the way to go. What is it - cussed arrogance?
"We know best"?
(This is also a trait of Microsoft and Apple, IMHO)
Surprised the VX indicators have not been mentioned. They dropped them in current models.
Hi all,
Sorry for the lack of updates and responses to this thread. Being very careful with internet access at work until I get a feel for what is monitored and what isn't lol :-)

I've joined a large Korean electronics manufacturer that isn't LG. ;-) Working in a small team on software projects both internal, and for external sales. Aside from the general hatefulness relating to everything around being the new boy (where do I find this, who does that, how does this work, who are you, where am I? etc), the first week has gone pretty well. The team is fab, and I've already got myself a major project to do, which is going to keep me pretty busy through my probation and beyond. :-)

And so to the car. A week in now, I've done about 500 miles and I'm bonding with it nicely. I've discovered it does actually go quite well, but you need to absolutely thrash it. Coming from a PD VW, it took me about three days to start actually driving it properly. A few 'No, fourth won't do here, I need second' moments, have seen me working the gearbox a bit harder (no hardship) and using the revs. If you do this, it's actually quite brisk.

The engine is almost alarmingly gutless under 3000 RPM, as in an old school TD off-boost feel. But then you feel it start to wake up, and it pulls very well indeed from 4000-6500 RPM. Sounds pretty good as well - a deep growl which reminds me very much of the old SOHC injected Vauxhall engines. It's also completely, beautifully smooth, regardless of what you are asking of it. Fuel economy isn't great - 32 mpg so far, but the other bonus is, I'm not paying the fuel. I do more than enough private mileage to justify the BiK.

Explored the handling a bit more too, including a nice blast along a road I know well, with the DTC disabled. First thing I would say is it just doesn't have the grunt (or has too much chassis composure - whichever) to kick the tail out on the power, but it does tuck in beautifully, to the degree of needing a small amount of corrective lock if you back off when committed. The whole thing feels agile, light (even though it isn't), and has a lovely sense of both ends of the car working together. I've got used to the steering too, which although lighter than I'm used to, is beautifully accurate, and has absolutely no freeplay around the dead ahead. I still reckon it could do with a bit more feel though.

I've got used to the indicators, but they still self cancel when they shouldn't, and I still can't get past the sheer pointlessness of them. Why mess with something that works well, and always has done. But it's a minor gripe. It is a thoroughly nice car all round. I can see why they are so popular.

I've never much cared for the latest BMW interiors from the photos, but they are better in the metal so to speak. The materials are all of high quality, the beautifully clear dials are easy to read, and it still looks, feels and smells like a new car from behind the wheel. Great driving position, too. The BMW 'Professional' radio/CD is better than the VW Gamma system I am used to, but still short of the excellent Volvo system in the S60. One thing that really irritated me is the lack of Bluetooth - unforgiveable on a late car of this price. I know it's the pov spec model, but most superminis have had this as standard for years. The new list is being finalised, but I'm told the 320d ED will be on it. That'll do me, if it turns out to be true.

The GTI Golf made £870 on Fleabay which I was pretty happy with. It cost me £800 depreciation in 14 months, and very little else. The TDI has now been retired to second car detail. SWMBO has done about 6 miles in it this week. The poor thing doesn't know what's hit it. It's going in Saturday for its new clutch and DMF, and a slightly overdue 120k service, which should see it fit and healthy again.

So, that's about it really. A mad week with lots of new stuff learned, even more forgotten, and still getting used to a new car. I will keep you updated.

Cheers
DP
I'm surprised that the steering is lighter than you're used to - usually BMW's are known for good steering feel/heavier than the usual front wheel drive set up. To explore the tail out handling balance you'll need a wet road. In terms of good driving position, I especially like the floor hinged accelerator pedal, I find it really comfortable on a long journey.

Glad to see you're keeping the PD Golf - let us know how the clutch/DMF replacement goes.
>> Glad to see you're keeping the PD Golf - let us know how the clutch/DMF
>> replacement goes.

Picked the car up this morning after the clutch / DMF swap. 2.5 hr job, no problems encountered. The old clutch plates were worn smooth, and the flywheel had completely seized up!! It had no movement on it whatsoever. No wonder there were vibrations!!

First thing that struck me was the smoothness of the engine. Whether at tickover or under load, all the little vibes have gone. Secondly, the clutch pedal is now feather light. Thirdly, the gearbox is far slicker.

Not as financially crippling as I feared either. With a 25% discount offer at Euro Car Parts, the flywheel, clutch kit and concentric slave cylinder came to £300 inc VAT and delivery. My mate charged me £110 to fit them (including a drink for the guy who gave him a hand to lift the gearbox in and out). So £410 for a Sachs clutch and flywheel kit (same make as the one that came out) fitted in a VW dealer workshop by a VW dealer tech. Can't be bad.

First time I've driven it since I got the BMW. Feels like a rocketship in comparison! :-)
Last edited by: DP on Sat 20 Aug 11 at 13:43
>> So £410
>> for a Sachs clutch and flywheel kit (same make as the one that came out)
>> fitted in a VW dealer workshop by a VW dealer tech. Can't be bad.

That's an excellent price, and does to show that shopping around and having a decent 'man' to do the job makes keeping a car that you like worthwhile. Having a car that's popular like the Golf is advantageous when it comes to parts prices as well.

I hope you enjoy your car. You have one of the best incarnations of the PD engine. What's the rest of the car like? Is the suspension still OK?
Last edited by: corax on Sat 20 Aug 11 at 17:02
>> I hope you enjoy your car. You have one of the best incarnations of the
>> PD engine. What's the rest of the car like? Is the suspension still OK?

Thanks, corax. It's in pretty good shape overall. Perhaps a little soggy compared to what it should be, but ISTRC these were never the sharpest driving tools, even when new. Certainly, there are no clonks or knocks from undeneath, and the bodywork is still, the odd minor scratch and mark aside, very clean. It had a stone clump the grille last month which has taken a 2p sized chunk out of one of the slats. I'm keeping an eye on eBay for one in the right colour rather than get into spraying and matching. It's a 2 minute job to remove and replace, so it's not the end of the world.

I think it says a lot for the way it drives it that I've been driving 2.5 yr old BMW 3 series with a third of the mileage for 2 weeks, and jumping in it today felt perfectly comfortable and pleasant. It isn't a patch on the BMW dynamically, but it still felt gutsy, responsive, effortless, and generally very nice to drive. The interior is a bit creaky, mind, and overall noise levels are much higher than the admittedly eerily quiet BMW. We have no intention of parting with it though. In 2.5 yrs and 30,000 miles it has never broken down or failed to start. Aside from routine servicing and consumables, it's had a new battery, and the clutch / DMF. Oh, and a repair to the hanger bracket on the rear silencer (very common fault). Needs one oil top up between 10k services (about 700 ml usually). One of the most reliable cars I've ever owned.

I know the PD engine has its critics, but I absolutely love it, at least in this state of tune. It never feels underpowered in any situation, and to accelerate you just squeeze the pedal. It responds instantly, regardless of gear, and the way it pushes you firmly back into the seat is reminiscent of much more powerful turbocharged petrol engines. OK, it runs out of puff past 4000 RPM, but such is the shove from 1500 RPM, you simply don't need to push it that hard. And the fuel economy is amazing. You have to cane it to get it under 50 mpg. My VW mechanic mate reckons this is the best version of the PD, both from a reliability and driveability viewpoint. They do have some common problems (VNT mechanisms on the turbos, and injector wiring harnesses deteriorating), but he says neither are terminally expensive or difficult to sort out. He also reckons this particular example is a good one, and well worth hanging on to.

I will try and post some pics of the old girl and share them. I still think she's a pretty good looking car for her age :-)
Last edited by: DP on Sat 20 Aug 11 at 19:40
 BMW 3-Series E90 - New job, new car - Skoda
>> The GTI Golf made £870 on Fleabay which I was pretty happy with

Someone got a bargain! :-/

Sounds like you like the BMW and would consider another. The new 3-series is out shortly - hold on for prices?
>> >> The GTI Golf made £870 on Fleabay which I was pretty happy with
>>
>> Someone got a bargain! :-/

147k, 12 yrs old, clutch in its last 10k of life, and one wheelarch starting to scab. Loads of similar age and mileage on Autotrader for a grand, so it was reasonable. Totally painless sale too.
I think he got a good buy, but equally I think I got a fair price too. Might have made a hundred more if I hung out, but its debatable, and I needed it out the way.
Nice review - thanks!

>> I've got used to the steering too, which although lighter
>> than I'm used to, is beautifully accurate, and has absolutely no freeplay around the dead
>> ahead. I still reckon it could do with a bit more feel though.
>>
Stick with it. After another few hundred miles the "feel" will seem just right.
It took me a while to get used to a 3er. For the first few months it felt like I was driving in wet conditions all the time. Once I got used to it I realised that the steering was actually perfect.

>> I've got used to the indicators, but they still self cancel when they shouldn't, and
>> I still can't get past the sheer pointlessness of them.
Fair point. I NEVER got used to them. Now I know why most BMWs don't even bother indicating! :-)

>> I've never much cared for the latest BMW interiors from the photos, but they are
>> better in the metal so to speak.
Agree 100%. IMHO Mercs and Audi's are better ( I would say that), but BMW are still top-notch. The only unforgivable thing is the yucky orange illumination - and even that has a good reason for it.

Happy that you are pleased with your new car, but when you do get the chance to order its replacement, I'm sure that you will try out the opposition - if only to reassure yourself that you are getting the car that you really want.
I had a chat with the fleet guy when I picked up the car, and they are negotiating with a few other manufacturers at the moment, including Audi. He did let on that BMW Fleet are very generous with the discounts though, and "bend over backwards" to accommodate with lead times, loan cars, and pretty much whatever else they ask for. Audi, by comparison, appear much less flexible, but they are currently negotiating hard. I would certainly try an A4, as well as anything else that appears on the list. The thing is, BMW's CO2 figures, which are such a big consideration for a company car driver, are a generation ahead of everyone else's for a given power output. We shall see what transpires. Apparently, the new 3 will come with a 3 pot diesel option with 150 bhp, and sub 100g CO2 emissions. That has to be worth a drive.
My steering comments really apply to anything I've driven with electric power steering, coming from an older car with conventional hydraulic PAS. To me, these systems have a slightly disconnected, artificial feel compared to even an average hydraulic system, although in fairness, BMW seem to have avoided the unpleasant, rubbery, springy feel that many of these systems suffer from. That said, jumping back in the Golf, the steering does feel somehow meatier and more connected to the road, despite more freeplay and slack. I should add though that is the only area dynamically where the two cars even bear comparison. On a twisty road, the Golf wouldn't see which way the BMW went.
The floor hinged accelerator is brilliant as well, I agree! :-)
I had a "spirited" drive last night.....the X1 is strongly 3 series in its DNA, and despite its 4x4 system, it's a peach to drive....might go petrol next time though.
DP

Later this year there is a new BMW 3-series so even if you ordered now.... if you can... none of us know price, lead-times, trim levels. And because of the new BMW, the A4 is being revised. The latter is known to be revised as there is a nice spec (Technika) which will go soon.
Thought I'd get on and do it now, otherwise I would't get around to it.

Pics remind me of another job I need to do - change the gearlever gaiter. The fake leather is all falling off and it looks awful! :-)

tinyurl.com/3herzzs

(link to Photobucket)
Latest Forum Posts