Motoring Discussion > Palmer Sport Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Skoda Replies: 6

Palmer Sport - Skoda
I know this has been going for a good few years now but yesterday was my first time, was like christmas waiting for it to come. Absolutely brilliant fun. I'm a bit sore and bruised today but it was totally worth it. I spent every second of it totally wired, to be honest i'm still jittery with excitement!

The adreneline rush in one of these was a phenomenal opportunity -- palmersport.com/formulajaguar.aspx the only downside is i can't have one to keep :-( The steering, grip, braking & power is like nothing else. I doubt anything i ever drive again will quite measure up now.

Unfortunately it rained for my last event (palmersport.com/bmw-m3-gtp.aspx ) but i had so much fun i wouldn't have changed a thing. Sideways might not be fastest but the smile these put on your face is hard to beat! A brilliant cross between a gentle giant and a vicious monster. Absolutely brilliant.

Trying for a fast lap in a caterham was great for adreneline, those things grip so well. There was another event, caterham challenge - a handling circuit which somehow had water on it yet it hadn't rained at that point :-) then they tell you they've not bothered to put good tyres on... sheer hooliganism but brilliant fun.

Pleasently surprised on every event, and i already had high expectations. Would thoroughly recommend this to anyone who's not had a chance to go yet.

fixed broken link as the close bracket prevented it working
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 4 Aug 11 at 12:47
 Palmer Sport - Dave_
Glad you had a good time Skoda. I used to live within earshot of Thurleigh airfield, and every November Dr Palmer invited neighbours of the facility to a free day at the site. We got a 45 minute presentation, a coach tour of the site and three laps in the car of your choice with an instructor.

I chose the Palmer Jaguar JP-1 (now superceded by an even faster version). Terrific fun, with a 3.2 V6 Jaguar engine behind you in a car weighing 600kg.

We used to get a lot of lucrative cab work from the facility too - many corporate visitors to the site came via Luton airport, stayed in far-flung expensive country hotels and dined in equally (but differently) far-flung expensive restaurants :)
 Palmer Sport - Skoda
Ahhh I feel a house move is in order in this case! :-)

The instructors don't half push you hard on those. In the final couple of laps of the jp2 I was braking approaching the last brake board before the hairpin, which felt like real heart in the mouth stuff for me - still doing over 100mph only 50metres before a hairpin. The faster guys in the group I went with (they are semi pro - enviable skill and guts) were braking much later still!

The only thing I didn't get to do that I wished id done was a tour of the workshop, few glances in from the bus on the way to and from events.

The 911's seemed the odd ones out on the day - all liveried and stripped out with roll cages they looked the part but definitely the softest to drive. Good fun though, and no spins, caught it every time I got out of shape which I'm proud of.

The clios were polar opposites, I think the only thing they share with a road going Clio is the name!
 Palmer Sport - bathtub tom
How much did it cost and who paid?

You don't have to answer, of course.
 Palmer Sport - Skoda
>> How much did it cost and who paid?

I think it depends on numbers in your group, for me it was ~£650. Tried talking the work into paying, first as a team building exercise then as a training event but they weren't wearing it at all :-(
 Palmer Sport - bathtub tom
Skoda.

PU asked if thee scrappage cars were still there a little while ago. Did you see any?
 Palmer Sport - Skoda
I didnt see them no, the sites massive though so I could just have missed them.
Latest Forum Posts