Motoring Discussion > Google Street 3D view Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 9

Google Street 3D view - movilogo
Even after wearing silly red-blue glasses, the Google's 3D street view still looks rubbish.

Google Street 3D view - Iffy
...Even after wearing silly red-blue glasses...

I was going to ask if you were supposed to wear those.

Don't think I'll bother looking out for any.

Google Street 3D view - Fenlander
Tried several pairs of 3d glasses and it's hopeless.
 Google Street 3D view - smokie
There are "special" 3D glasses from video board manufacturers (e.g. nVidia) which go along with 3D video cards for a wallet full of cash. I suspect these are what is required to make it look good.
 Google Street 3D view - Iffy
...I suspect these are what is required to make it look good...

Makes sense, because it would be unlike Google to launch a service that didn't work well.

Google Street 3D view - Zero
You’ll need red/cyan and not green/magenta glasses.
 Google Street 3D view - movilogo
>> it would be unlike Google to launch a service that didn't work well

Google's following ventures did not go well.

* Buzz (initial response is lukewarm beaten by Facebook) also Orkut did not become popular outside of India, Brazil and USA.

* Chrome OS (original release is delayed)
* Nexus (users were not happy with phone overall)
* Picasa (beaten by Facebook)
* Documents (Editgrid, Zoho are better alternatives)
* G Talk (still no conference facility, Skype is way ahead)

These are what I can recall right now.
Last edited by: movilogo on Mon 5 Apr 10 at 11:54
 Google Street 3D view - rtj70
I didn't even know there was a 3D version of Street View.
 Google Street 3D view - Bellboy
>> I didn't even know there was a 3D version of Street View.
>>
>>>>>me neither
thing is do you really want to see street rubbish in 3d?
 Google Street 3D view - SteelSpark
>> I didn't even know there was a 3D version of Street View.

It was only released on April 1st (which led to a lot of suggestions that it was an April Fool's joke).

It is not clear to me whether the images have been taken with a 3D camera or not, the article on Wikipedia seems to suggest that the 3rd and 4th generation cameras have "3D mapping", not sure if that means that they can take 3D images.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Street_View#Cameras

I would have thought that if the images where not taken with a 3D camera to begin with, then the second viewpoint required for a 3D view would have to be software generated - which I assume would give a sub-standard result.

However, it seems that the new Clash of the Titans film was actually filmed in 2D and then converted to 3D in post-production, so perhaps the technology is cleverer than I give it credit for (although in that case they would have the 3D CGI models and could maybe re-shoot sets and actors from different angles to assist the process).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_of_the_Titans_(2010_film)

It is interesting to see in the first link, that they are going to be replacing all of the current streetview images with HD versions (can be difficult to see house numbers at the moment).
Latest Forum Posts