Motoring Discussion > Lane 1 is often fastest Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 25

Lane 1 is often fastest - movilogo
One of the readers in following news vetted this.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1263125/Phantom-traffic-jams-cause-misery-hundreds-motorists-caused-just-ONE-driver.html

In my own experience, I can confirm that too. During morning peak hours in M1, I often see lane 3 (and 4 where applicable) are often clogged with traffic where as in lane 1, there are only few lorries far apart.

By occupying lane 1 mostly and occasional overtaking using lane 2, not only I reach my destination faster, but also save a good amount of fuel as I seldom need to brake and accelerate sharply.

Lane 1 is often fastest - MD
Concur
 Lane 1 is often fastest - Bromptonaut
Certainly true this afternoon in the muck and spray on the M1 through Northants. I gave up at J18 and continued my journey to Leicester via the A5/A426
 Lane 1 is often fastest - Iffy
I reckon lane one is often the fastest, it's certainly no slower.

It's where I tend to sit in these circumstances, partly because it's less stressful, and partly because I think there's a chance I'll get on faster.

Lane 1 is often fastest - idle_chatterer
It's been a while since I regularly made the trip from Birmingham up to Warrington on the M6 but I used to travel this stretch of road maybe 3 times a week. I came to the conclusion that from J15 to J19 where I turned off it was generally quicker to get into the inside lane and set the cruise at 56mph with the lorries. The two outside lanes were generally stop / start with lots of apparently unnecessary braking and acceleration. Is it still as bad ?

The lower reaches of the M1 around Luton can be similar as can the M3 around Basingstoke in my experience.

So, something in the Daily Mail that I can agree with, there's a turn up for the books!
...So, something in the Daily Mail that I can agree with, there's a turn up for the books!...

IC,

Console yourself with the fact you are not agreeing with the Daily Mail, you are agreeing with the research they have faithfully reported.

Thanks ifithelps, I feel much better for your comforting words !

They always seem to think everyone wants to read the Daily Mail on the plane when I travel, that or a Telegraph (preferable of course) but broadsheet so not ideal in such a confined space (for me) anyhow.
 Lane 1 is often fastest - Zero
it varies.

Having done my share of regular commutes, I got attuned to where the various lanes were faster. Sometimes you had to be in the right lanes at the right places on the journey.

Generally though, on any journey over an hour - they are all the same.
 Lane 1 is often fastest - VxFan
Had four hearses pass me in lane one this morning.

Damn undertakers.
 Lane 1 is often fastest - Runfer D'Hills
Flat out ?
...four hearses pass me...

And the traffic was that slow-moving, there was a bloke walking in front wearing a bowler hat and carrying a black umbrella.
>> Having done my share of regular commutes I got attuned to where the various lanes
>> were faster.

Absolutely true, probably a feature of the number of junctions, time of day etc. The M6, M1 and M3 examples I gave were the ones which immediately sprang to mind, there are no-doubt countless others.

IIRC, Top Gear did a test many years ago (when it was still a motoring show), two Ford Galaxy's set off up the M1 for an agreed distance, one in the nearside lane and the other 'lane hopping' between lanes 2 and 3. The 'lane hopper' arrived at the destination a minute or so before the inside lane cruiser but had used far more fuel and the driver admitted to being a lot more stressed.
 Lane 1 is often fastest - Runfer D'Hills
I find if you sit in lane 2 at about 50 mph no matter what it is just so relaxing. What's more you get the feeling everyone is so friendly.

People regularly flash their lights at you in greeting as they come up behind you and sometimes they'll playfully toot their horns and act the goat by undertaking you in lane one. Some go a bit too far with their horseplay when they cheekily nip in front of you and temporariliy stamp on their brakes to make you join in their games. You soon learn though that they are only pulling your leg. They won't actually do a full emergency stop and always accelerate away once they can see you have got the joke ! I always toot my horn to let them know I how much I enjoyed their little prank although I have seen it many times before, they are not to know that are they ?

There is also the secret motorist's wave which a bit like an up and down shaken fist which is often done while tooting the horn in fun. I find the BMW drivers and the truckers really like doing that one, perhaps it's a club sign or something ? Anyway, even though I don't have a BMW or a truck I just join in whenever I see one and give them the secret wave. Almost always gets a friendly peep peep in return or a playful swerve into my lane............

Motorways are such fun.
 Lane 1 is often fastest - Stuartli
>>Lane 1 is often fastest>>

So what's new?
 Lane 1 is often fastest - sherlock47
>> >>Lane 1 is often fastest>>
>>
>> So what's new?
>>
>>

Bur dont tell everyone, else it wont work any more!

The M25 anticlock to LHR has been like this for years in the morning peak 06,00 - 11.00.

Just follow all the taxi drivers.
 Lane 1 is often fastest - Armel Coussine
>> Sometimes you had to be in the right lanes at the right places on the journey.

Yes. For example, Paddington to the Angel along Marylebone/Euston Roads can involve up to half a dozen preemptive lane changes if you are in a hurry, depending on time of day or night. Extreme manoeuvres like avoiding flyover and underpass at certain times can also be necessary.
 Lane 1 is often fastest - smokie
And of course where "lane 1" is a bus lane, look out for it's hours of operation - often 7 - 10 and 4 - 6 but usually underused at all times.
 Lane 1 is often fastest - scousehonda
I agree with the general thesis about lane 1 but the downside to driving in it for any length of time is having a 37 ton Scania driving at 50 mph about 10 feet from your rear bumper. Not a pleasant experience, especially if it's wet.
 Lane 1 is often fastest - Fursty Ferret
Occasional exceptions when approaching very busy junctions; either entering or leaving the motorway.
 Lane 1 is often fastest - Armel Coussine
>> usually underused at all times.

Absolutely... one gets so jealous of black cabs. But just past Euston going East, there's an inside lane that used to be a bus lane but, alhamdulillah!, has been demoted although it still looks rather bus lane-like. It's brilliant for those who know.

The centre lane is the worst, all the way along there. Hustlers and wallies shoving into it at the last moment at junctions from the outside lane. If you don't time your lane changes right, or are unlucky, you have to wait sometimes. Unless you are boorish of course, as some but not all that many are.
 Lane 1 is often fastest - Ted

Is there any logic in not allowing mortorbikes in a bus lane ? I can't see any. This has been rigorously denied to us by councils all over the country for many years.

Bikes won't get in the way of buses and if a bike breaks down, it's easy to push it onto the pavement or drive round it so there can't be any ' obstruction ' issues, surely ?

Mystery.

Ted
..is there any logic in not allowing mortorbikes in a bus lane...

Ted,

Get yourself up to Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, where you will find 'No Car Lanes'.

Lane 1 is often fastest - Zero
>> Get yourself up to Sunderland Tyne and Wear

Hmm A year disarming IEDs in Helmund with your teeth would be better.
 Lane 1 is often fastest - Cliff Pope
Lane 1 hoggers. Why won't they move over when they have finished undertaking?
 Lane 1 is often fastest - Ted

>> Hmm A year disarming IEDs in Helmund with your teeth would be better.

What would Martin use ??

Ted
...Hmm A year disarming IEDs in Helmund with your teeth would be better...

Well, that's written off the biggest city between Leeds and Edinburgh.

Latest Forum Posts