Motoring Discussion > Used car prices - why are they so high atm? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 18

Used car prices - why are they so high atm? - Stuu
Ive been looking around for a runaround - I know I have this Micra likely available, but I like to have more than one option.

Anyhow, trawling Ebay, Ive come across countless examples of huge values being stuck on seemingly virtually worthless cars. Just two examples:

92 Golf, no tax or MOT - START price £495 - thats gotta be a joke surely?

91 Sierra, 140k, looking decidedly average, they were expecting £750 for it!

I just cant get over how much people seem to think these old crocs are worth. The Golf cant be more than £100 on a good day!

Its making the £2k ill ask for my Charade look rather good value. Even they seem to be creeping up in value somehow from last time I looked.

A couplke of years ago I was offered a Nissan 300C, tidy cond with 130k on the clock, a new MOT and a months tax for £140. It seems those days are over?
 Used car prices - why are they so high atm? - swiss tony
One word is all thats needed Stu.

SCRAPPAGE.

that took an awful lot of decent cars off the road, thus pushing the price of the remaining ones up, but also leaving the real scrappers out there.....

hopefully things will get back to normal soon.
 Used car prices - why are they so high atm? - Zero
yeah - its the real rubbish that was left behind with a high price tag.
 Used car prices - why are they so high atm? - swiss tony
>> yeah - its the real rubbish that was left behind with a high price tag.
>>

Exactly, and of course its done no favours to the independent garages, and motor factors, as less oldish cars = less work/parts required.
 Used car prices - why are they so high atm? - Tigger
And of course the fact that the pound has devalued by 25%, meaning that a lot of used cars are being shipped out of the country. Meanwhile, new cars are having their list prices raised - creating a bit of a shortage.
 Used car prices - why are they so high atm? - Runfer D'Hills
I've noticed a sharp increase in asking prices too. I've had to at least feign some activity and enthusiasm in searching for a replacement vehicle for Mrs D'bout since she so carelessly wrecked her old but perfectly good one. She has been given unlimited access to my old Mondeo estate in the meanwhile but remains remarkably and churlishly ungrateful for that. Still, I should be able to spin it out for a while yet......
 Used car prices - why are they so high atm? - Stuu
There was an old but legal Cortina for sale just down the road from me not long ago - seems like a missed opportunity now at £500!
 Used car prices - why are they so high atm? - RattleandSmoke
It is the main reason I have bought a brand new car. Used prices are just really silly.

Used car prices - why are they so high atm? - -
The better used cars that escaped scrappage are at present sitting on Sheerness Southampton and other docks awaiting transport to pastures new, thousands must be going every month.

Getting increasingly difficult to find a quality used car worth buying.

Plenty of vans with windows still about can't give them away..;)
"She" wants a 4x4. Do you think if I got the suspension jacked up and put some knobbly tyres on the Mondy.......??
Look humph, the company squashcow has a "spouse can drive" insurance on it, so give that to her and drive the mondy for work.
"She" doesn't like automatics, otherwise not a bad plan.
 Used car prices - why are they so high atm? - Tigger
I'm sure there was a 4x4 version of the mk1 mondeo. Rare as a rare thing in this country though.
Indeed there was Tigger. I happen to know that those mean geezers from Hereford had some estate ones at one time. Sort of suited their needs. Discreet but very capable.
 Used car prices - why are they so high atm? - crocks
Modern equivalent would be one of the 4x4 Skoda Octavia Estates.
Err - the mean gentlemen of hereford have those as well. Black.
 Used car prices - why are they so high atm? - rtj70
And they will probably have Skoda Superb Estates with 4x4 soon too.
Almost certainly not saloons. Not the right stuff at all.
 Used car prices - why are they so high atm? - -
Be far better if they had the van version and just painted windows on, no pretence or illusions of grandeur that way.
Latest Forum Posts