Motoring Discussion > Drive Safely Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 21

Drive Safely - VxFan
This is a shocking but sobering video that EVERYONE must see who drives a car. WARNING GRAPHIC VIDEO:-

www.liveleak.com/view?i=e70_1269960841
 Drive Safely - BobbyG
Gulp
 Drive Safely - bathtub tom
This is exactly the sort of thing I was shown forty-odd years ago on an RAC/ACU motorcycle training course. It affected the way I used the roads then and it still does today.

I believe stuff like this should be compulsory viewing for all new drivers.
 Drive Safely - SteelSpark
Don't worry, all the drivers in that video only received 3 years and did 18 months...sharing a cell with a woman who sold a goldfish...

Would be funny, if I were joking...

tinyurl.com/ya7suah
 Drive Safely - Ted

I watch that sort of thing on You Tube now and again. That, and having had to deal with the results of these incidents, has made me drive and ride the way I do.

SWMBO nags and calls me timid and slow....but she often misses the bigger picture on the road.........Timid and slow, maybe......but alive and in one piece !

Ted
 Drive Safely - -
The ones that really hit me are the accidents involving big trucks, they swat cars out as if they were wasps.
All new truck drivers should have to sit through good quality video footage of the carnage that can be caused.

Some really shocking incidents there, mindless flat out racing lemming like to oblivion, blind to everything else around as if they were in some sort of tunnel of their parallel universe where nothing else could possibly be on the road and their cars can travel at and stop from any speed instantly...like video games maybe where game over is just a message on a screen.
 Drive Safely - RattleandSmoke
It is something I need to be aware of really, as I have got more confident I am driving a bit quicker, I never break the speed limits but I have perhaps been a little throttle heavy of late.

Those clips will make me slow down, sorry BMW/Audi drives of South Manchester you will just have to wait.

I really need to sharpen up my 'bigger' picture skills.
 Drive Safely - Ted

Make 'em wait, Rats. Of course, as you know, you might risk an Uzi being pushed up your nose at the next red light.........but that's mostly black Civics with dark windows round here !

Ted
 Drive Safely - RattleandSmoke
Ted I went past your house on Sunday afternoon as I was on the way to a job. I was walking as I had far too many pints the night before and was probably still over the limit.

I noticed right outside your house two asian lads one in a Saab Convertable and on in some sort of 03 reg Ferrari they were both driving quite fast. Have you had much trouble that lately?

Seems to be a bit of a culture of young lads showing of their cars, but then I guess its always been the case.
 Drive Safely - Ted

I was out on the bike, Ratto. Probably the drug dealer across the road, he had a Ferrari, borrowed, for a while. Him and his pals do a bit of showing off sometimes.
I just dobb him in to his Mum...she stops it.
He must be out of Strangeways then !
A very pleasant hour was spent last year when aforesaid Ferrari arrived home on the back of a truck.....clutch gone ! The neighbours applauded as he and his mates had to push it up his drive....I could hear the till at the repairers ringing in anticipation !

Midnight....time for bed. Got to hunt for my Easter Eggs tomorrow.

Ted
 Drive Safely - MD
>> Make 'em wait Rats. Of course as you know you might risk an Uzi being
>> pushed up your nose at the next red light.........but that's mostly black Civics with dark
>> windows round here !
>>
>> Ted
>>
One word in your post is usually true me old mate. Just stats you understand.

Martin.
 Drive Safely - Londoner
Utter Horror and Disgust. Horror for the innocent victims, and disgust for the arrogant, know-it-all, big-headed, obsessed with speed and showing-off, stupid, vain people responsible for some of the accidents in that video.

And above all - the obsession with speed, and it's inappropriate use when "running late".
I was taught as a young driver: "Better to be a few minutes late in this world, than a few years early for the next".

Ted & GordonBennet up thread - excellent posts!

Drive Safely - Armel Coussine
Most disappointing. Staged, and not very well (the thing with the girls on a night out was about ten times better).

This is propaganda for young idiots, not serious footage for grown-ups. The message is: if you drive carelessly or recklessly, something bad may happen. How many people here need to be told that? I learned it all by myself years before there was an internet or even the idea of an internet.

Sorry Vxfan, and all those impressed, but piffle for babies.
 Drive Safely - Iffy
...Sorry Vxfan, and all those impressed, but piffle for babies...

Agreed, not that I could be bothered to watch all of it.

Drive Safely - -
I don't suppose the film was aimed at veteran drivers who if they haven't fathomed it by now for themselves are probably dead or caused others.
You only have to venture out for a few minutes to witness idiots lacking the imagination to realise accidents like these are but a second away.

I don't suppose any of us were too bothered by the staged accidents, though the interspersed live footage of far worse carnage brings the whole thing together.
 Drive Safely - Dog
>>>Timid and slow, maybe......but alive and in one piece <<<

Not if you're hit by a 'not so' timid & slow 1.5 ton projectile.
One can be the safest driver in Christendom - but!
 Drive Safely - smokie
I didn't watch it all, and many were clearly staged "adverts", but to me a few appeared to be "the real thing" from street cameras. Either way the message is fairly powerful. Not all drivers were driving in a consistent or reckless manner - there were momentary lapses of concentration, and completely unpredictable outputs to minor incidents too.

I don't think any driver should consider himself above the occasional bit of training, advice and reminders, even though it's delivery may not be ideal.
 Drive Safely - teabelly
It was ok until the women with the new born threw it through the windscreen. Fraid I laughed out loud at the sheer hamminess of it. Didn't see the rest it was so ludicrous.

Wind it back a few degrees and it might actually be sobering.

I don't think showing young people harming others makes a difference. They have to be shown people like them, doing things like them, being hurt I think. Perhaps something with someone yapping on the phone, showing them doing the same thing every day without mishap then wallop, one day they're toast. Bad things happen. Nothing happens to people that do bad things. Bad things happen to good people that drive safely. It isn't a black and white world.

I don't think playing on people's emotions is appropriate to safe driving anyway. Emotions need to be kept out of driving!
 Drive Safely - paulb
>> It was ok until the women with the new born threw it through the windscreen.
>> Fraid I laughed out loud at the sheer hamminess of it. Didn't see the rest
>> it was so ludicrous.

Aye. Totally fake. On personal experience, when you first take your first-born out of hospital you carry the car seat (with the baby already strapped in) like it's a live bomb, spend about 20 minutes ensuring that the thing is latched into the base in the car correctly and then drive away with 500% normal concentration.

Plus the guy in the Carina - 120 km/h round that bend wouldn't have worked, irrespective of the presence of a broken down car there.

Agree also with the comment about young folk need to see it happen to someone like them. Case in point: Feb '94 - fella in my year at school, out for a mate's 18th. Thought he'd do a kamikaze sprint across the A27 at the Sussex Pad traffic lights (70 limit, no street lights) at 1 am. Car that mowed him down (being driven perfectly legally, I stress) never even saw him. I think just about everyone in the school became a poster child for the Green Cross Code after that. The funeral was hideous as you may imagine.
 Drive Safely - kensitas
>>Sorry Vxfan, and all those impressed, but piffle for babies.

Well we're all sophisticated adults here(!) - of course - we don't need this. But, AC, you make
assumption that everyone is like that- they're not.

Experience can't easily be gained by short-cuts - a sort of definition I suppose - but imagination can. That video was about imagination - 'imagine if' was the message here.

I thought it was very effective - film & music seep into the consciousness much more profoundly & deeply than dry lecturing & well meaning advice.

Drive Safely - Dog
>>> I thought it was very effective <<<

So did we @ The Dog Kennel ... Quite harrowing some of it, we watched it all, and thought about it all day.

Dog.
 Drive Safely - Londoner
>> I thought it was very effective - film & music seep into the consciousness much
>> more profoundly & deeply than dry lecturing & well meaning advice.

Very good point. You are right, it is a good way to present the message of road safety.
Latest Forum Posts