Motoring Discussion > DVLA Muck Up? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 28

DVLA Muck Up? - Bromptonaut
DVLA apparently let the registration BO11 LUX appear and be sold on select registrations and now wish they had not.

tinyurl.com/6hfkdsu - Link to Daily Wail - Sorry
 DVLA Muck Up? - spamcan61
What a bunch of TO55 ERS!

Is that too rude?

we'll see.
 DVLA Muck Up? - WillDeBeest
Good for them - who's it really going to offend? I've reported before seeing OBO 110X on a black Range Rover Sport that clearly doesn't date from 1982, so not only was that one issued but DVLA has allowed it to be transferred.
 DVLA Muck Up? - Meldrew
Some of our public servants (shall we miss them when they strike BTW?) seem to have done their training at some institution for the braindead or perhaps with the STASI before the Wall came down. Got to go - I may have left my wheelie bin lid 2 inches open!
 DVLA Muck Up? - henry k
>> I've reported before seeing OBO
>> 110X on a black Range Rover Sport that clearly doesn't date from 1982, so not
>> only was that one issued but DVLA has allowed it to be transferred.
>>
I wonder how much the plate cost and if the DVLA will claim it back if complaints come in as a result of the latest incident ?
Could be lots of £££s down the drain :-(
 DVLA Muck Up? - Cliff Pope
If an organisation sells something described as fit for purpose and say it has all necessary licences and permissions etc, then they can be sued if it turns out that the item is not authorised. He should report the DVLA to his local Trading Standards for misdescription.

Wouldn't they be obliged to buy it back at the market value? I bet it would be worth a lot more now?
 DVLA Muck Up? - Zero

>> Wouldn't they be obliged to buy it back at the market value? I bet it
>> would be worth a lot more now?

They only need to buy it back at the price you paid for it, and as for value now? its worthless.
 DVLA Muck Up? - Bromptonaut
I'll bet somebody's had a 'focussed interview' over the fact that it was ever passed for sale!!!

As it happens the muck up's caught the headlines. The rag that reported it would have been equally happy to do 'outraged at vulgarity' mode.
 DVLA Muck Up? - Iffy
...The rag that reported it would have been equally happy to do 'outraged at vulgarity' mode...

It's a cracking story, every national newspaper has covered it.

Well, the handful I've been able to check, but the point is well-made.

DVLA Muck Up? - Cliff Pope
>>
>> >>
>>
>> They only need to buy it back at the price you paid for it, and
>> as for value now? its worthless.
>>

Not if he succeeded in refuting their action. If he got away with it it would be truely unique and might be worth a lot more.
 DVLA Muck Up? - R.P.
I rarely read the reader's comments on the Mail site - but this one is a pearler !

"I hope they don't spot my 1994 Astra which has the plate M1NGE"

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2009171/BO11-LUX-DVLA-tells-Alan-Clarke-surrender-obscene-number-plate.html#ixzz1Qkp4pwDJ
 DVLA Muck Up? - bathtub tom
>>"I hope they don't spot my 1994 Astra which has the plate M1NGE"

I can't find any reference to that registration actually existing.
 DVLA Muck Up? - teabelly
>> Good for them - who's it really going to offend? I've reported before seeing OBO
>> 110X on a black Range Rover Sport that clearly doesn't date from 1982, so not
>>

That would only be an issue if the range rover was earlier than 1982 I thought. You can have an older registration but not one that makes the vehicle appear newer than it is.
 DVLA Muck Up? - TheMightyImp2
Hi, I would love to know where in the country this range rover was spotted.
I remember the number plate from the tv program 'that's life' and would like to know who owns it.
>> Good for them - who's it really going to offend? I've reported before seeing OBO
>>
 DVLA Muck Up? - Manatee
OBO110X is now on a silver Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6 registered 27/20/2011.
 DVLA Muck Up? - VxFan
He's been allowed to keep it

tinyurl.com/3sc33x4
 DVLA - Variable Service - Meldrew
I applied for a tax disc, on line, at 1600 on 13th and it was in the post this morning, 16th.

Friend sent off V5 and driving Licence for change of address and got back no licence and 2 different V5s for the same vehicle. All details correct, just 2 of them!
 DVLA - Variable Service - rtj70
>> Friend sent off V5 and driving Licence for change of address and got back no licence and 2 different V5s

I would think the postcode used to send V5s back was different to the one for licences. DVLA use postcodes to help get the vast volumes of mail into the right department. So when the mail was opened with a V5 and licence in there, the licence would have to be sent to the correct department.

Change of address for a V5 - SA99 1BA. Change of address for a licence - SA99 1BN.

So Meldrew's friend perhaps sent these to the wrong address? Although I am assuming they went in the same envelope.
Friend is female! The papers certainly went off in the same envelope! At least ANPR will know she is entitled to drive even if not is physical possession of the proof!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Fri 16 Sep 11 at 13:20
 DVLA - Variable Service - Old Navy
Sending a piece of paper to the wrong DVLA postcode is a self inflicted problem.
I know that and she has found out! It still doesn't explain the 2 V5s though!
 DVLA - Variable Service - Bromptonaut
Two V5 probably a printing/enveloping machine issue - given the volumes I doubt anything is done manually.
I think the failure rate and errors must be very small and I am perfectly happy with my tax disc delivery. Figures here from 2010 FOI request which show that there are errors but that many arise from incorrect or incomplete submission of data by drivers. There are about 44 million driver records and 34 million vehicle records.

The facts:

As at 30th September 2009 there were 34,395,400 licensed vehicles on the DVLA database.

An estimated 88.60% of vehicle records are correct in every respect.

An estimated 11.4% of vehicle records that contain errors.

The most recent statistic on the percentage of vehicle records where the registered keeper of a vehicle cannot be traced from the details held on the DVLA record is 4.3%.

An estimated 2.7% of vehicle records contain errors that originated within DVLA.

An estimated 1.18% of vehicle records contain incorrect information submitted by registered vehicle keepers.

An estimated 7.52% of vehicle records contain incorrect information because the registered vehicle keeper has failed to update DVLA with a change of details.

---------------------------

As at 14th December 2009 there were 43,958,637 Driver records on the DVLA database.

An estimated 73.82% of driver records are correct in every respect.

An estimated 26.18% contain errors.

The most recent statistic on the percentage of driver records where the driver cannot be traced from the details held on the DVLA record is 20.62%.

An estimated 2% of driver records contain errors where the error originated within DVLA.

An estimated 3.56% of driver records contain errors that originate from incorrect information submitted by the driver, and 20.62% stem from the driver's failure to update DVLA with a change of details.
 DVLA - Variable Service - Dave_
I'm still wrangling with the DVLA after they sent me two driving licences when I renewed my photograph in August. The first renewal application was mislaid, so three weeks later I sent a second one. Miraculously they processed both on the same day, took two lots of payment and sent out two near-identical licences with consecutive issue numbers.

I was instructed to return the earlier of the two new licences with a covering letter requesting a refund of the extra charge. I've just phoned them to find out why I still haven't heard anything since my last phone call three weeks ago, to be told they've sent out a letter asking me to return my (current, valid, correct) licence as it contains an error. The calltaker couldn't tell me what the error might be, but said they would issue another licence when they'd received this one. He was also unable to say where the refund has got to.

Sometimes....
 DVLA - Variable Service - Dulwich Estate
Fearful of DVLA losing my licence and, to be honest, not wanting to spend £20, I had not changed my old pink licence for a shiny new photo one. I'm hoping to be soon hiring cars in various far flung destinations and I thought I'd best join the modern world and just get on with it. I don't want a spotty youth rejecting my licence because they've never seen one dating from 1976. That's when the pink jobs came in I believe - I've even still got my red cardboard book licence from 1969.

What pushed me to do it was applying on the web. The instructions ask you to cut your old licence in two and send it back. You also declare that you will do so. The thing is they don't say when you are to to it. So my precious pink licence is sitting in my wallet until the new passport linked photo licence is in my hands.

DVLA - Variable Service - Dulwich Estate
Applied on Tuesday afternoon - new licence arrived Friday.

Apart from the £20 stealth tax I have no complaints.
 DVLA - Variable Service - Cockle
>> Fearful of DVLA losing my licence and, to be honest, not wanting to spend £20,
>> I had not changed my old pink licence for a shiny new photo one. I'm
>> hoping to be soon hiring cars in various far flung destinations and I thought I'd
>> best join the modern world and just get on with it. I don't want a
>> spotty youth rejecting my licence because they've never seen one dating from 1976. That's when
>> the pink jobs came in I believe - I've even still got my red cardboard
>> book licence from 1969.

Think pink ones must have been later than that, I've still got my green one, issued when I last moved in November 1978.
I've often been tempted to change to a photo but have always been anti the £20 charge to change, why should I pay to change when a friend of mine has moved about a dozen times since I last did and he gets his for nothing because it's a change of address.

Oh, and thus far, I've never had a problem hiring a car, never had so much as a raised eyebrow when I've produced the old tatty green ...... they always seem more interested in seeing a passport and my credit card. ;-)
 DVLA - Variable Service - Mike H
>> Think pink ones must have been later than that, I've still got my green one,
>> issued when I last moved in November 1978.

Much later. We last moved (before leaving the UK in 2009) in February 1985, and we still had paper licences after that move.
 DVLA - Variable Service - Cockle
Yeah, just found a useful EU document! which lists all the dates the various paper only licences were issued since we joined the EEC:-

UK1 (the green one) Jan 1976 - Jan 1986
UK2 (the original pink) Jan 1986 - June 1990
UK3 (pink and green) June 1990 - December 1996
UK4 (pink and green with EU stars) - Jan 1997 - March 2000
UK5 (current photo card + paper) - July 1998 - to date.

Document covers all licence models for the whole of the EU, if you're having trouble sleeping it may be an interesting read.....

tinyurl.com/anjqzo3
Latest Forum Posts