Motoring Discussion > Another fuel moan. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 12

Another fuel moan. - Bigtee
At what price would you say stuff it and do with out the car or would you just bite the bullet and pay as you have no choice?

£2.00-£2.50 per litre?

I need it and would just after pay it at £2.50 per litre the way it's going this won't be too long!
 Another fuel moan. - Old Navy
At £2.50 the price of fuel would not be the only problem, it would be reflected in the cost of anything (food) distributed by road.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 25 Jun 11 at 20:03
 Another fuel moan. - RattleandSmoke
At £2.50 I would simply have to put my prices up quite a bit. I think the Brent price has gone down a bit anyway, so hopefully £2.50 is a long long time off.

Remember its only really gone up 50p a litre in the past ten years.

One of my friends has actually swapped his job so he can ditch his car, he was spending £500 a month on fuel alone, now he works in the city centre he gets the bus, although he lives in the hills and thats 50 miles a day on the bus - poor sod.
 Another fuel moan. - Bigtee
Yes current prices of fuel and Asda have put there prices up on food 88p tin of tomatoes.!!

At 2.50 ltr those tomatoes might be £2.75
Last edited by: Swamp Donkey on Sat 25 Jun 11 at 20:20
 Another fuel moan. - Westpig
I never look at the price...i just fill it up.

I know it's approaching £90 for a fill up, which is annoying, but other than that I need a car, it's uneconomic to swap my current one, so on it goes, no doubt before long it'll cost be £100 to fill it up.
 Another fuel moan. - Ted

My Cumbrian pal and his wife are currently re-evaluating their workstyles.
They spend £800 a month of road fuel. The VW T5 van is going...that's what the Bipper is to replace.

Like Westie, I just fll up, I use it so I might as well have it in the tank. The Vitara hasn't been out since Wednesday until I got a call-out today, a 5 mile round trip that earned me £15.

A simple re-booting of the entry and start system on one of our City Fiestas.

Ted
 Another fuel moan. - rtj70
>> They spend £800 a month of road fuel

OMG! £800pm!
 Another fuel moan. - Skoda
>> They spend £800 a month of road fuel. The VW T5 van is going

I think i've seen that van optican.blogspot.com/2007/12/vw-t4-with-over-1100hp.html

They could just take the v8 twin turbo conversion out of it and make do with the factory 2 litre 4 pot again instead :-)
 Another fuel moan. - DP
There wouldn't be a cut off for me, but I think £2.50 a litre would kill consumer spending in the UK quite effectively, and put the economy into reverse.

I consider fuel an essential. In other words, every time the price of fuel goes up, I pay it, and the additional cost is taken from budgets elsewhere. As the mortgage, council tax, food and household bills that make up the rest of my monthly outgoings are also essentials, it means the cost comes from 'luxuries' or savings.

A tank of fuel at £140, against the current £70 would put enough of a dent in my disposable income every month that I would effectively be working just to exist. Forget holidays, forget meals out, forget the odd shopping trip and the other things that we all need to do to keep the economy ticking over.
 Another fuel moan. - -
The taxation on fuel must have a ceiling figure, above which all we will be doing is paying tax on fuel but nothing else.

As DP, luxuries go out the window, and as can be seen in every high street, consumer spending is constantly reducing.

As people lose their jobs there's less tax revenue and less economic movement all round, a spiral thats getting smaller by the week.

We don't use our cars for pleasure now very often, almost all our shopping except for food and essential household items is via the internet, it's not just the price of fuel, it's the result of anti car local authorities making town centres increasingly difficult to use...retail parks with free parking are ok up to a point, but they're boringly similar in most cases with identical wares that can be bought with a few clicks cheaper and easier from the comfort of your easy chair and let the man with the van deliver.

Another fuel moan. - Slidingpillar
Fuel duty is a fixed sum, currently 57.95 p/litre. But added to that, and whatever price the garage charges is 20% VAT - on the whole bill.

So yes, you really do pay a tax on a duty.
 Another fuel moan. - mikeyb
We have been more thoughful about car use over the last year - a camping trip to Cornwall tends to change to Devon to reduce the overall mileage, and trips to see friends and family tend to be multiple visits rather than individual, or a "lets meet half way"

Visits to the out-laws have also dropped, but thats no bad thing :-)

My recent fill ups have been around 90 quid - I think that when they pass 100 it will have a more profound effect on my use
 Another fuel moan. - Stuu
I feel rather blessed on fuel useage, the figures some people talk about are way beyond our expenditure, although I think its too much, but then anything short of free petrol is expensive to a miser.

My Ignis costs about £40-45 to fill up and that lasts anywhere between 8 and 14 days depending on how much work I have but if I have to fill up sooner, thats because ive been out earning, so the two go hand in hand and ive raised my prices slightly to compensate up to £2 a litre now.

The Sirion only gets filled up once a fortnight normally at around £45 a pop, so thats not a massive cost either.

Id love to be in one of those 75 mpg diesel superminis, but the cost to change currently means the gains arent great enough with the Ignis reliably doing 44-46 mpg atm, which really isnt so bad.

Im more concerned with the price of staple foods atm, it seems to be shooting up.
Latest Forum Posts