Motoring Discussion > Antifreeze, blue and pink Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 7

Antifreeze, blue and pink - smokie
Wasn't something I was particularly aware of, but a lady asked me what the difference was between blue and pink antifreeze. I could Google the answer but as she seemed happy with pink is for girls cars and blue is for blokes, I left it there. :-)

One is apparently more expensive than the other by quite a bit, and she was told not to mix them.

So, relative merits of antifreezes, anyone?

Antifreeze, blue and pink - Meldrew
www.bluecol.co.uk/index.cfm?page=75
 Antifreeze, blue and pink - Iffy
Mixing colours is not generally a good idea because the liquid can turn to sludge.

Although bluecol say in Meldrew's link theirs is safe to mix.

Antifreeze, blue and pink - Bobbin Threadbare
Is it not that the pink one is meant to be '5 year' and the blue '2 year'? And obviously different fluorescein in them.
 Antifreeze, blue and pink - Dave
There's no longer any correlation between colour and type. Many are manufacturer specific, designed to only work with certain materials.
 Antifreeze, blue and pink - DP
Some of the generic aftermarket types carry manufacturer approval. For example the pinkish coloured Comma Longlife stuff I have in the garage has VAG G12+ approval, so it will mix happily with the factory fill red stuff in the Golfs. As Dave says though, it's always worth checking the specs, as there are various permutations.
 Antifreeze, blue and pink - Pat
I had to look at this one, I thought Oilrag was back...or was that screenwash?

Pat
 Antifreeze, blue and pink - Alastairw
I was just wondering that Pat. Can you mix pink and blue screenwash?
Latest Forum Posts