Motoring Discussion > Texaco sells 800+ filling stations Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 14

Texaco sells 800+ filling stations - Falkirk Bairn
800+ Texaco sites sold to Gerald Ronson for £350m who then sells 250 to Shell for £240m.

Who says there is no money in Filling Stations?

So Ronson owns 560 sites for only £110m - sounds a good deal for Ronson - not so good maybe for Shell & Texaco.

Ronson is reputably hot on the heels of 400 Murco sites that are for sale.
 Texaco sells 800+ filling stations - Marc4Six
Full circle, I seem to remember Shell selling 100's? of filling stations to Texaco in the 80's.
 Texaco sells 800+ filling stations - Fursty Ferret
Surprised the one near me is still in business.

Texaco for diesel is 140.9p/litre. The Esso on the other side of the road is 138.0p/litre.
 Texaco sells 800+ filling stations - Manatee
>> Surprised the one near me is still in business.
>>
>> Texaco for diesel is 140.9p/litre. The Esso on the other side of the road is
>> 138.0p/litre.

Maybe they don't want to be in business. If they barely sell any, it will be easier to get permission to knock it down and build some flats.
 Texaco sells 800+ filling stations - MD
>> >> Surprised the one near me is still in business.
>> >>
>> >> Texaco for diesel is 140.9p/litre. The Esso on the other side of the road
>> is
>> >> 138.0p/litre.
>>
>>
>> Maybe they don't want to be in business. If they barely sell any, it will
>> be easier to get permission to knock it down and build some flats.
>>

And is there any money in those one asks??
 Texaco sells 800+ filling stations - Manatee
>>And is there any money in those one asks??

Well you'll know better than I Martin. Perhaps not so attractive a proposition for a developer at the moment?

But if a franchisee owns the site, and can sell it with planning permission, it could be worth many years of filling station profits. It's certainly happened with a couple round here.
 Texaco sells 800+ filling stations - CGNorwich
"140.9p/litre. The Esso on the other side of the road is 138.0p/litre."

What that then - about £1 on £50 fill? I suppose if you are doing galactic mileages it makes a difference but I tend to go to the most convenient station with the shortest queues and not worry too much about small difference in the price, but judging by the queues down at the local Sainsburys I am in the minority
 Texaco sells 800+ filling stations - Bromptonaut
Quite right CG. Round here we have 'urban' Northampton and a rural hinterland. No point in driving from Towcester to Northampton just to fill up. On the other hand if you pass Tesco at Hunsbury on the way to work you'd be daft to pay £1.50 extra on an £80 fill just to shop locally. I suspect David passes cheaper places between his flat and Ringway.

And then if your Mum lives in Leicester where diesel is consistently 2-3p a litre cheaper than at Northampton's supermarkets it makes sense if the fuel light comes on passing M1 J20!!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 22 Jun 11 at 21:18
 Texaco sells 800+ filling stations - RattleandSmoke
Used ASDA for the first time yesterday, 132.7p per litre, compared to my local Tesco/Esso petrol stations 137.9p.

Although rumours have it that one of my local Shell's have just been bought out by the Morrisons next door to it. If that is true then cheap petrol there hopefully.

The part of Manchester I live in seems to have the highest petrol prices in any town in Greater Manchester, so I simply buy it in other areas.
 Texaco sells 800+ filling stations - Bobbin Threadbare
Texaco near my house has put its prices up and down like a fiddler's elbow - for the time being it's on 134.9p/litre petrol but the Shell down the road is a penny less, and Asda is 2p cheaper. Preston isn't too bad for petrol until you get out into the surrounding countryside.
 Texaco sells 800+ filling stations - Robin O'Reliant
My cheapest is also a Texaco at 134.9. I hope they don't sell it as I've just taken one of their reward cards.

Funny thing I've found, down here at any rate, when the price goes up Tesco and Morrisons are the cheapest, yet when it drops down again both Murco and Texaco manage to undercut them.
I am sure local cartels are involved in pricing. I was in Anglesey for a couple of days meeting cousins a few weeks back and was shocked when I arrived to see petrol was 131.9p a about 6-7p cheaper than my part of Manchester. By 1pm on the Friday the prices near the Red Wharf Bay had gone by 7p.

So they clearly have a week price (for the Welsh locals) and a tourist price. And I am sure I wasn't dreaming.

Texaco sells 800+ filling stations - Stuartli
>>So they clearly have a week price (for the Welsh locals) and a tourist price>>

I have friends who live on Anglesey - I'll try and remember to ask them...:-)

Did you go in your own car?
Nope, but I chickened out of the trip to Chester :p.

Went by train, and was actually very pleasant but I am doing more and more journeys (on about 600 miles a month now) so will one day driver there. In fact one day I aim to have my own converted motor home so I don't have to keep using tents.

I have to get a bus into Anglesey but that is also mostly very pleasant, and surprisingly quick as most people get on it at Bangor and get off in the tourist areas.

Anyway back to petrol :).
 Texaco sells 800+ filling stations - Arctophile
Just to clarify, according to The Telegraph it's Total petrol stations that Ronson has bought, not Texaco.

Link to Telegraph article:-

tinyurl.com/66g5xp7
Latest Forum Posts