Motoring Discussion > The top 10 used cars Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 23

The top 10 used cars - Dog
Lancer estate doesn't get a mention then :}

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/picturegalleries/8589693/The-top-10-used-cars.html
 The top 10 used cars - Old Navy
Don't see many Kias either, good to be ahead of the pack. :-)
 The top 10 used cars - Hard Cheese

Well we have two ones, er 1s er two of the No. 1s

The top 10 used cars - Runfer D'Hills
We have two 4s. No 1's a 4x4 and No 2's a 4x2 but they're both 4s
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 22 Jun 11 at 09:56
 The top 10 used cars - DP
Two no 7's in our house. One petrol, one diesel. Would have another without question, or recommend to a friend.
 The top 10 used cars - CGNorwich
In what way are they the top ten and how is that defined? Surely the number of second hand sales of any model must directly correlate to the number of vehicles of that model produced and how long it has been in production.
 The top 10 used cars - Londoner
>> In what way are they the top ten and how is that defined?
I think a clue is in the text to Number 6:
"Users of Tesco Cars voted Ford's trusty Focus as the sixth most popular used car..."

Not an objective survey then.
 The top 10 used cars - Stuartli
>>Not an objective survey then>>

That was my view yesterday..:-)

I found the Most Secure Vehicles section more interesting. VAG did pretty well in this area.
 The top 10 used cars - WillDeBeest
Lazy journalism by the Telegraph, just reprinting a 'survey' by a company with a vested interest in free publicity.
 The top 10 used cars - Dutchie
We have no6 nothing to do with Tesco.
The car that most interests me out of that list is the Volvo S40, but when I check out the "what's bad" against the what's bad on my Mitsubishi Lancer, I reckon I did the right thing in buying it, reliability wise.

Anyway, it's not a proper Volvo, is it.
 The top 10 used cars - Jacks
>> The car that most interests me out of that list is the Volvo S40, .
>> Anyway, it's not a proper Volvo, is it.
>>
No - more akin to a Focus.

I've got a S40 - the 2.0 diesel 6 speed manual- and it's just coming up to 20,000 miles and has served me well so far. It feels nicely put together and drives very well.
The pedal box is narrow though with no rest for your left foot which is slightly annouing.

The blower fan suddenly stopped working at 17,000 miles and a new heater fan unit had to be fitted under warranty - the dealer told me they had a few similar failures and they believed it related to a faulty batch of units supplied to Volvo as all the ones they had seen were of a simlar age to mine (reg. March 10) . Other than that no problems at all, front tyres (Continental Premium Contacts) lasted 18,000m but everything else still original.

Overall I quite like it - it's a lease car though and it goes back in March 2013, I have the option to buy the car but as HJ has assured me many times that Armagedon will occur soon after 2013 in the form of failed DMF, DPF etc then I probably won't bother!

Failures aside though, the DPF has to be replaced at the 72,000m service and Volvo dealers currently charge around £1000 for this task plus the cost of the regular service.
As this would occur some 6 months into my first year of ownership should I choose to buy it, then this single ridiculous expense would put me off buying an otherwise decent car - let alone HJ's gloomy predictions!

J

Most cars can have their DPF removed, including the required ECU reprogramming for half the cost of the DPF service.
I would go this route if I owned a DPF equipped car. Not only do you save a chunk of money, but you never need worry about the thing again.
Unreliable, Heath Robinson nonsense like the DPF has no place on a modern car in my opinion.
>>Overall I quite like it - it's a lease car though and it goes back in March 2013, I have the option to buy the car but as HJ has assured me many times that Armagedon will occur soon after 2013 in the form of failed DMF, DPF etc then I probably won't bother!<<

Yes, and that's the sort of car I (and others) would be looking at on the 2nd hand market i.e. 3 years old, 30,000+ miles,

One has to be careful, do the research, or suffer a direct hit - on the wallet:(

The top 10 used cars - Jacks

>> Yes, and that's the sort of car I (and others) would be looking at on
>> the 2nd hand market i.e. 3 years old, 30,000+ miles,

>>
Well mine will be 3 yrs old with 60,000m up when it goes back - with the £1000 DPF replacement due in 12,000 miles time.
I feel for the poor second buyer who could be stung with this bill within 12 months of purchase, lots of potential buyers will be unaware of the DFP replacement issue.

The Volvo forum often has new owners posting completely shocked when Volvo dealers tell them the cost of the 72K service.

I believe if you don't get this DPF and fluid replaced (and the ECU "reset" by the dealer) the ECU will eventually keep putting the car into limp mode forcing you to the dealer.......who will insist on replacing the filter before resetting the ECU.

The Ford and Peugeot dealers (same engine ) charge about the same - according to those on the Volvo forum who have sought alternative solutions.

J
Bring back the Peugeot 309D, that's what I say :)
>> Bring back the Peugeot 309D, that's what I say :)

I had a 306 D-Turbo. Apart from atrocious turbo lag, it was a cracking car. And it simply wasn't complicated enough to go wrong.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 22 Jun 11 at 17:09
 The top 10 used cars - Old Navy
>> I had a 306 D-Turbo. Apart from atrocious turbo lag, it was a cracking car.
>> And it simply wasn't complicated enough to go wrong.
>>

I had one for a few years, followed by a five door version, a good car in its day. All mine needed was a new battery.
 The top 10 used cars - Runfer D'Hills
I am really glad that there is a culture of selling on used cars on a regular basis. As a result I've had some very nice cars for very affordable money over the years.

The cynic in me though still remains amazed that enough of us are daft enough to sell a perfectly useable 3 year old car we've owned from new and which thus far has met all our needs and never let us down.

Even if it needs an out of warranty repair in due course it's almost certainly not going to come close in cost terms to the depreciation hit it'll take by selling it and buying another new one.

It's a cultural need rather than an actual one I suspect. If there were some rational reason behind it we'd all be doing the same with our fridges, washing machines, gas boilers, lawn mowers etc. But we don't do we?

Funny folk, folk.

:-)
>>It's a cultural need rather than an actual one I suspect. If there were some rational reason behind it we'd all be doing the same with our fridges, washing machines, gas boilers, lawn mowers etc. But we don't do we?<<

Hehe! - we've crossed that ground before :)

My Almera had 40'000 cared for pain dealer serviced miles on it when I px'd it for the Lancer,

Nothing at all wrong with Nissan whatsoever, and it would have gorn on and on and on etc., etc.

But that's why this forum exists, isn't it - we're all car crrrazy!

The top 10 used cars - madf
As I'v gown older, I find that consumer items just last.. Cars and fridges and TVs etc..

Modern cars don't rust (unless it's a 10 year old Merc) so if you choose carefully, a car can easily last 20 years..

Anyone who buys a car without enquiring about serrvicing costs is either on a full lease , planning to sell soon or is plain naive..
(The kind of people who believe what politicians and the BBC say)..
 The top 10 used cars - PhilW
"pain dealer "
Like it! Presume it's not a typo!
>>"pain dealer "
Like it! Presume it's not a typo!<<

Lord no, it's from experience (in the pocket!)
 The top 10 used cars - legacylad
I don't know what criteria they use for the article, but it is very different to my own 'top 10 used cars'...not a TTRS, R8, Cayman S, Vantage, DB9, Virage, DBS, S6 Avant, M5 Touring or XKR to be seen.
Latest Forum Posts