Motoring Discussion > We Buy any Car. Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 12

We Buy any Car. - Roger.
Has anyone had experience in selling through this company?
 We Buy any Car. - Dave_
Not personally. Some discussion about WBAC in this thread from a couple of months ago:
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=5815&v=f
 We Buy any Car. - John H
Lots of people have:

www.government-news.co.uk/office-fair-trading/201104/oft-takes-action-against-webuyanycarcom.asp

www.moneysupermarket.com/community/forums/t/help-we-buy-any-car-16876.aspx

We Buy any Car. - Dog
They valued my Almera @ £1800 without seeing it,

I got £2800 for it in px for a £6k Lancer.
 We Buy any Car. - RattleandSmoke
It is quite useful if you want to sell your husband's BMW before he gets back from work. They are the motoring version of Cash Generator though. You will get cash on the day, but no where near its true value.
 We Buy any Car. - -
I didn't sell to them but they valued my pick up within £400 of it's £15k sale price without being aware it had valuable extras.
They could not have found anything to knock the offered valuation.

Important you accurately describe the cars condition though, they paid my son out for his high mileage Toledo the initial offered price.
 We Buy any Car. - idle_chatterer
I tried them 'just to see' last year when we needed to sell SWMBO's car due to our move abroad, they offered about GBP 3K less than the supplying dealer - a difference of about 27% on a very saleable car (low mileage 6 month old Golf 1.4TSi SE). I suspect it wasn't a car they typically buy/resell as their target market is looking for something cheaper ?

The thing which made me laugh was that they continued to bombard me with 'sell us your car' emails for several months afterwards, I categorised them as spam.

I guess if you're desperate they have their place in the market, otherwise I think there may be many other better options for most sellers.
 We Buy any Car. - Kithmo
IIRC they are associated with Carcraft, who charge between 1-2K more retail price than other car supermarkets for their stock i.e. maximising profit.
 We Buy any Car. - Iffy
...they are associated with Carcraft,...

That's right, which is why they sometimes offer a half-reasonable price, knowing they will get a retail margin on the car, rather than having to punt it on through the trade.

Carcraft stock always looks over-priced and a bit scruffy to me.

But there's no reason not to deal with webuyanycar, if you are happy with their valuation.

We Buy any Car. - Bobbin Threadbare
They're a total gamble on what they'll offer you. They offered me £400 for my 52 plate Focus and I px-ed it for closer to £1500 (high mileage and one tatty door panel dropped its worth from £2k). I wouldn't use them.
 We Buy any Car. - spamcan61
Can't really compare with trade in prices though, where they're also making a margin on the car you're buying.
 We Buy any Car. - PeterS
I disagree with that, though I'm sure it depends on geographic area. I know a few people who've used them, none of whom would be what you classify as cash convertor people. They're just busy and / or don't have the time or inclination to traipse round garages trying to get the best offer for their car, and/or don't want a stream of timewasters/strangers calling round their houses in the case of a private sale

My parents (retired) used them to get rid of my Mum's 1 owner, FSH 7 year old Megane DCI Privilege when they ordered a new Golf for her. Trade-in offer was from the man at VW was £1,500. She could probably have got somewhere near £3k, may be a bit more privately, but they just didn't want the hassle. WBAC gave her £1,750 - better than trade in and no effort.

In her view (and mine) certainly not worth having a raft of strangers 'phoning, coming round to the house (or not showing up...) for the sake of a few quid, particularly with the grief that could follow if something goes wrong with the car. In their minds they got a better deal on the new car without a trade-in (may not be true, but if they're happy...), and washed their hands of the old one

Peter

Last edited by: PeterS on Wed 22 Jun 11 at 16:45
 We Buy any Car. - Mapmaker
I reckon Rattle's spot on. You want cash today, you'll get it. What are the alternatives:

Back-street "cars bought for cash" garage. Probably won't deal in cars over 2k.

Auction. Might take a couple of weeks. And it'll cost you a fee anyway. And there's no guarantee of selling (whatever HJ says about suresell).

eBay/private sale. Well, there's a reason you're not using them, isn't there.

trade in. You'd expect to get more for trade-in than at auction anyway.
Latest Forum Posts