Motoring Discussion > Mercedes Benz - Camper van conversions. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 3

Mercedes Benz - Camper van conversions. - Bigtee
Hello all,
I want to do a camper van conversion like using the mercedes sprinter lwb/mwb panel van.

Now looked on the web at various mods conversions of similar vans and seen plenty of good ideas from the use of aux heaters to rock & roll beds to space saving ideas, just not sure about windows what would you do have all the panels fitted with smoked glass some privacy required or just a few windows?

Seen those caravan windows that are fitted to campers there quite thick and you have to build a frame on the inside for them to fit the name of these escapes my thick head right now!, but these open ideal for the kitchen area and sky lights would you fit these maybe 2?

Please feel free to throw ideas or pictures of your builds planning is the key to use the space wisely thinking of making room for 2-3 people 1 adult maybe 2 and 1x child so mwb may be ok lwb would be ideal?

How do you plan your layout? where is kitchen/bed?

Front swivel chair? etc etc............. Thanks Tony.
 Mercedes Benz - Camper van conversions. - Dave_
My old boss at a haulage company converted his first Sprinter van into a motorhome - wood applique dashboard trims, air suspended driver's seat, bed/fridge/cooker/LCD TV in the back, respray in white with black/grey graphics in the style of the company's (full colour) trademark.

He had the "window" panels painted black and installed 1 window in each side with blacked out glass - so unless you look close up it appears to have blacked out windows all down both sides.

A non-dating numberplate, some chrome hubcaps and a side-mounted roll-up awning completed the job, it's very smart both inside and out, drives beautifully and regularly goes all over the country.

Oh, and it's got 580,000 miles on the clock. :-)

I'm going to see him tomorrow, I'll try and get a couple of photos of it for you.
 Mercedes Benz - Camper van conversions. - Boxsterboy
There's a German company (Westfalia I think) that do nice conversions on Sprinters called Marco Polo. They put a high grp roof on them - looks a bit top heavy - but they have a good internal layout. Some lhd ones over here (lhd not really a problem in a camper). Not cheap though - was tempted to do my own DIY version ans save a bundle.

Action Van is another company who will do bespoke conversions on Sprinters and Transporters.
 Mercedes Benz - Camper van conversions. - Bigtee
Yes seen the ones that do them there is a company up here in west yorks but it's the best part of 8-10k for a top job.

So i want a v good job by myself diy, quite handy so no big probs.

A simple basic layout with top cupboard space is all i want im 6ft-4 so very unlikly to be able to stand up straight in the high tops anyway.

Plenty of insulation behind walls vinyl floor keep clean easier, rock and roll bed can these be built from scratch cheap enough or can be bought?
Latest Forum Posts