Motoring Discussion > Volvo V70 - demo report Buying / Selling
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 43

Volvo V70 - demo report - WillDeBeest
Further to the thinking in my Succession planning thread the other day, I responded to a telephone invitation and spent an hour driving what I’ve been think of as our ideal family car, a Volvo V70. Here are a few impressions, some of which relate to my old Volvo S60 and our current family bus, a Toyota Verso. Bear In mind that I’m a long-torsoed 6’5”, so my first question on encountering a car is “Do I fit?”

Comfort and driving environment
It’s a big Volvo; it’s comfortable from the start. I set the seat well away from its highest, lowest or furthest-back position, and I had plenty of head, shoulder and foot room. Best of all, I could set the steering wheel comfortably close and low without obscuring the instrument panel.

The seats themselves are covered in soft black leather. I’m not a leather fan but I’d be happy with this stuff – neither shiny nor slippery, and a world away from the DFS stuff I’ve hated in other cars. They also have backrests tall enough to support my shoulders, which I appreciate in the S60 for the way it helps me stay relaxed on a long journey.

The basic control layout is familiar from my S60, with the same well-chosen textures and just the right amount of resistance. The one I drove had an integrated telephone system, which puts rather a lot of extra buttons in the central panel and makes the whole thing less immediately familiar than the S60’s layout; happily this is an option and not one I’ll be taking up.

On the road
I picked a mixed route based on familiar roads – fast dual carriageway, twisty A- and B-road and through two market towns. I also took it home and parked it on my drive to see how it would look. I have to say I was very impressed. This V70 has the new D3 engine – a short-stroke 2.0 litre version of the 2.4-litre five that I’m familiar with – and it’s very impressive: I honestly wouldn’t have guessed that this hefty car was propelled by a smaller engine. Even with an automatic gearbox, it climbs hills, accelerates out of sliproads, and pulls out to overtake plenty quick enough for me, and what noise it makes while doing so has that pleasing five-cylinder edge to it.

I didn’t have time for a prolonged cruise, but I don’t think I need worry; the car is well capable of high motorway speeds and makes very little fuss or noise about it. There’s no noticeable wind noise even at 75-ish, and the whole car feels very stable and secure – very Volvo-ish, in fact.

I’m not a fan of automatics but I reckon I could live with this one. It tends to change up too quickly, then have to change down to make further progress, so once out of town I knocked it sideways into manual mode and picked my own gears. No flappy paddles, and a counter-intuitive push-to-change-up movement of the lever, but it feels nice and works quickly and smoothly.

Over a bendy A-road with a very broken surface it was both quiet and composed, never uncomfortable as the Verso can be over the same route. The steering feels less meaty than my S60’s – but nor does it have the Verso’s annoying springiness – but I never had any trouble placing it where I wanted it.

I was expecting slightly better visibility from a car with such straight sides and so much glass but the rear head restraints rather spoil the view, especially for judging when to pull in after overtaking. No such problems when parking; the vertical rear window makes the tail very easy to position, and there’s a not-too-annoying beeper for confirmation.

One feature I’ve appreciated over the long solitary hours in the S60 is the superb HU-803 audio system, and I was looking forward to seeing how Volvo audio has progressed since 2002. I had no CDs with me, but Radio 3 obliged with Ashkenazy playing Beethoven’s ‘Emperor’ piano concerto. I have to say I was a little disappointed: the sound had a slightly muffled, boxed-in quality that stopped the music coming to life as I hoped it would – and this despite the much lower noise floor compared with the S60. Still much better than the Binatone tat in the Verso, of course.

Space
The main reason for choosing such a big car, but a disappointingly mixed result from the V70. No problem in the front seats, of course, and a big luggage deck at the back, but I’m not convinced the rear seat has the room we’ll need once our two boys become teenagers, as they will in the life of our next family car. I’ve ridden to and from airports in the rear of the closely-related S80; I’ve also set up the driver’s seat of a Mondeo hatch as I would want it, then got in behind and been quite comfortable, but person behind me in the V70 would have to make some compromises around the knees. Perhaps the lack of a clutch pedal was making me sit further back than I would in a manual, but there’s clearly more experimenting to do before we decide this is for us.

Conclusions
A lovely, civilized, grown-up car, and if I were a bit shorter, and my children really were fathered by the postman, it would go straight to the top of my list. As it is, we’ll have to see. It’s possible the S80 might be set up to favour rear-seat space over luggage, and we don’t absolutely have to have an estate. A Mondeo would certainly hold us all – but would it offer quite the same sense of being looked after as you (well, I) get in a Volvo? More fun with tape measures and live dummies awaits.
 Volvo V70 - demo report - Skoda
There was a red Volvo v60 r-design in the car park the other day. My tastes are a bit skewed but i thought that was really nice looking.

Another estate that's rare but looks really good in the flesh, better than any of the photos i could link to from google, is the 159.
 Volvo V70 - demo report - Runfer D'Hills
I'd like the practicality of a Mondeo estate with the looks of a 159, the class or should that really be classlessness of a V70 and the performance of an M5 touring.

Free.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 18:09
No you cant have my Octy...

:-)
 Volvo V70 - demo report - Runfer D'Hills
Hmm well, some merit in the Octavia on some of my criteria but still a bit of a moose next to a 159. Still say you have to go for the pretty one first even if she can't cook...That's what take-aways were invented for.

:-)
 Volvo V70 - demo report - Focusless
>> Still say you have to go for
>> the pretty one first even if she can't cook...That's what take-aways were invented for.

You sound like my wife, sort of. I'd be more than happy with another Focus, because it's great to drive (well my mk1 is anyway) as well as being practical. However I admit its looks don't set the pulse racing.

But I don't think Mrs F will let me get away with it twice - she wants something that must look good on the drive. As well as being good to drive. Current favourite is an Alfa Brera, although I'm try to persuade her the 159 is also good looking while perhaps being a bit more attainable.

Of course we can't afford either at the moment, or the foreseeable future for that matter, but we can dream :)
 Volvo V70 - demo report - ....
Did you get any idea about fuel consumption. I've heard good things about this engine and wondered how it compared in the real world with the original 163PS you have ?

I wonder how the seats would compare over a longer test drive. When mine has been in for a service and I have had the smaller C30 and S40 the seats have not been as comfortable. Not as easily tuned.
Last edited by: gmac on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 21:41
Not really - the fuel computer (assuming it has one - mine doesn't) was one of the controls I didn't find. Official combined is 47.9mpg (53.3 for the manual) which is better than my S60 for what I'd call equivalent performance.

The seats, I reckon, are every bit as good as mine - no concerns about comfort at all. Only niggle I had was that the reclining wheel is rather trapped between the seat belt and the door pillar, so the minor adjustments on the move that I like to make on long trips are a bit tricky.

I want to try a C30 manual next. I sat in a V60 manual in the showroom and an alarm bell rang when I tried to put my left foot next to the clutch and it wouldn't go. I don't want an automatic but I can see myself being pushed that way if my feet don't fit.
I've had that problem with all the Volvo cars I've driven with the floating centre console.

I like the look of the V60 from the outside but not the interior. The screen and large vent in the middle look at odds with the rest of the dashboard.

A C30 with the new (215PS) D5 would be worth a look, if only they made it.
 Volvo V70 - demo report - Lygonos
Have you considered a Skoda Superb - was in a saloon taxi in Newcastle and (6'5" of the long-limbed type) and sitting in the back there was room for a rucksack between my legs and the front seats.

The owner/driver was more than happy with it - 50k miles on a 2 yr old car, no problems.
 Volvo V70 - demo report - rtj70
If it looked nice and didn't have a stupid name I'd have considered it. Seriously. But also it has high emissions and therefore it was about the same as a Passat CC GT 2.0d for me.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 15 Jun 11 at 23:16
I hadn't thought of the Superb but I won't rule it out. I have reservations about Skoda, not for the usual reasons but because we used to have one - a Fabia, which was slow, thirsty, uncomfortable and required frequent top-ups with expensive VW coolant because of an apparently untraceable leak. The dealer we bought it from turned out to be clueless and unhelpful, too - although we did eventually find a better one. It's not much of a guide to the Superb, of course, but Skoda still has a hill to climb with us.
 Volvo V70 - demo report - Iffy
The boot of the C30 is about the size of a large shopping bag.

Which is appropriate, because the flexible luggage cover could have been made from a cheap shopping bag.

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 16 Jun 11 at 08:36
 Volvo V70 - demo report - Boxsterboy
When I were a nipper Volvo estates were BIG. End of. But in their quest to become less boxy they have suffered in the space department. I looked at a V70 a couple of years back and was quite surprised at how small it was inside. I think we are more used to bigger (internally) MPVs and 4x4s and so Volvo estates are no longer BIG.

My S-Max is a case in point. Shared floorpan with the Volvo, but much roomier inside, especially in the rear. I know MPVs aren't for everyone, but the road tests are true - they really are a nice drive, and far nicer (in my opinion) than the V70 I drove.
 Volvo V70 - demo report - Alanovich
Seems to me that the interiors of MPVs even are getting smaller.

I compared the latest Galaxy to my Mk2 Galaxy whilst at a Ford dealer recently. The older model's interior (including the boot) seems more spacious, light and practical.

No doubt the later model is a better driving experience, but that's not the point of an MPV, so I think I prefer the older model.
>> I compared the latest Galaxy to my Mk2 Galaxy whilst at a Ford dealer recently.
>> The older model's interior (including the boot) seems more spacious, light and practical.
>>

That's because you can't take the seats out of the Mk 2. Still way bigger than a V70 in 5-seat mode.
I was meaning that my Galaxy, the older model, is what is referred to as a Mk 2. I.e a facelifted and improved version of the original shape. And yes, you can take the seats out of my one - you are right, this makes the interior more practical than the current Mk 3 in my book.

But yes, of course a Mk 3 Galaxy is more spacious than a V70.

I think WDB is trying to square the circle which I have tried so often. Need practical car, don't really want MPV. I've decided to put up with an MPV for the next 10-15 years whilst we have children. It's back to saloons after that.
Or an Alfa Romeo Arna, eh 'Vić?

In the shell of a nut, that's it. In the shell of a larger nut, it's not even that I don't like MPVs; I've driven an S-Max and been impressed, but it's an enormous car for four people, even if plenty of families seem to order one the moment they announce their second pregnancy. We have an MPV in the Verso, and it's not the MPV-ness that I object to but its impersonality - I've driven the Avensis too and didn't warm to that.

I had two Saabs before the Volvo and I like the human-centred design of Swedish cars. All I want is that in a capacious four-seat body with an easy-access load compartment. Common sense says that needn't be taller than an ordinary car, but if it has to be I can live with that. Not an XC90, of course - that's absurdly heavy and bulky for a family car - but I'll consider a 2WD XC60 if it fits.

Of course, it may not be so much that I like Volvos as that I don't like Toyotas, however solid and sensible they may be. It's too long since I drove a current Ford - a Focus 1.4 in 2005 was probably the last one. I probably ought to try a Mondeo while the V70 is fresh in my mind, and then see if I can find one that isn't all silver-painted plastic and black polyester.
Of course, in my case, the MPV purchase was also partly driven by my obsession with taking stuff down the tip, and the wife's addiction to shopping in IKEA. The two are, of course, inextricably linked.
Funny you should say that. Mrs B's first words on looking into the V70's aft cavern were, "Think of all the stuff we could take to the tip in this!"

"...tip in this!" came the echo.

She does Ikea too, which at least means I don't have to. She's read that there may soon be one in Reading. Perhaps she and Mrs A would like to compare notes on the declining quality of Billy fittings.
 Volvo V70 - demo report - captain chaos

>> She does Ikea too, which at least means I don't have to. She's read that
>> there may soon be one in Reading.
>>
Rather fond of their hot dogs. A bit too fond. The nearest store is around thirty miles away. Just as well, perhaps. :)
No, no, no.

It's meatballs, potatoes with gravy, logenberry sauce followed by a delicious Daim bar cake. Yum, yum!
I'm rather partial to their range of Swedish cheeses in the food shop bit. They have a couple of right stinkers. Triffic.

I think the Reading branch is being built on old commercial units behind Sainsbury's at J12. I am both looking forward to it and dreading it.
 Volvo V70 - demo report - Hard Cheese

I too would visit Ikea only for the meat balls and/or hotdogs.

Though back to Volvos, I drove an S60 with the D4 engine a couple of months ago, the D4 is the more powerful version of the D3 engine. I also drive a C70 D4, C30 D3 and C30 D4, the S60 was quite worthy though perhaps a little bland, the C70 less agile and more understeer, C30 quite fun to drive, the D4 being refined and punchy with a slug of torque at around 2000rpm though my 123d has a lot more low down pull and also sustains its drive more as the revs build.

Perhaps I should try a BMW diesel for comparison. To me, the D3 sounded and felt very much like my old D5 163, which I consider a good thing. But then, Toyota apart, it's been a while since I drove anyone else's diesel.

I sat in a V60 in the showroom - an R-design model with black-and-cream leather (less cheesy than you'd expect) and drilled bare metal pedals (irredeemably naff and potentially dangerous on a wet day.) There were two unpleasant surprises: with the seat adjusted for me, I was expecting it to be a bit snug in the back, but 5'10" of Mrs B could barely get in at all; and there was no room to the left of the clutch pedal for my Cheaney size 12, and only a carpeted bump to rest it on if it had fitted.
Rear legroom is not the strongest suit of my old manual S60, but foot room is first class. The V60 wasn't really on my list anyway - it costs virtually the same as a V70 - but it's right off it now.
 Volvo V70 - demo report - Lygonos
I think bare metal pedals are not road legal - you'll invariable see rubber plugs sticking through the drill holes.

Might be wrong though ;-)
Didn't look that closely - where my feet don't fit I don't put my head instead. I stand by 'naff', though.
}:---)
>> I stand by 'naff', though.

Green velour seats, that's naff.

Metal pedals with rubber bits on, they're worth about 2 seconds per lap :-) Almost up there with bonnet pins.
 Volvo V70 - demo report - NeilS
WdB you're 6'5" and Mrs WdB is 5'10" with children approaching teenhood. Unless you deny them meat, your kids will be 6'+ by 15 and and you've got people, here recommending an Alfa 159 and a Volvo C30? Mad but you must post the holiday snaps when that happens! The Skoda Superb shout by Lygonos is the best so far followed by the ubiquitous Mondeo. I sat in a V70 the other day, I fancy one for some reason (I'm 6'1" and fairly broad) and there wasn't anywhere near enough leg space behind for another me. The boot was average sized and the floor high. The V70 has morphed into a classy, mega comfortable and mega safe, stylish and well engineered medium sized lifestyle estate, expensive. Superb or Mondeo for the space.
I know, Neil, but bless 'em for trying. }:---)

To be fair to them, I've muddied the water by talking of a C30 for me to drive to work (for which I don't really need anything as big or fast as the S60) and for one-, two- or three-up local trips, but I'm doubtful it really works for more than two.

I plan to try the XC60 for size - I don't want another tall car but it may let me sit further forward and leave more room behind. But we will be looking at the Mondeo and Superb too.
The current S60 isn't that big though is it. A lot smaller than a Mondeo or Insignia.

What you want is a Passat CC ;-) But I'm biased with one on order. Boot opening is narrow though.
 Volvo V70 - demo report - Hard Cheese

>> The current S60 isn't that big though is it. A lot smaller than a Mondeo or Insignia. >>

Yes S60 is not large, more 3 Series than Mondeo inside size wise.

Which is why I shan't be having another: it's too big (or at least bigger than necessary) for a solo commuting car, too small inside to be a family bus. The one I have has been fantastic, though.
I thought (not checked sizes) the new/current S60 is smaller than the previous model. It's about Audi A4 size.
It's an illusion rtj70.
The new car is taller, wider and depending on spec longer. The new car also has a longer wheelbase.
The smaller engined new cars are also lighter as the old car only ever came with a five cylinder engine.
The boot is smaller though, they've managed to shrink it from 394litres to 339.

When road testing the old car, it was always against the A4 and 3 series for size comparison.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 18 Jun 11 at 19:53
The new S60 is also, to my eye, uglier. The original shape is defined by a single curve that runs from behind the indicators, along the tops of the doors, before dipping down to form the boot and meet the distinctive tail lamps. It's pure and, visually, very satisfying.

The new one tries to do something similar but with a new wiggle over the front wheels, and it just looks fussy and overdone. Not as bad as the awful triple crease on the current MB E, but giving the impression that the designers felt they had to 'develop' the visual signature but weren't sure how.
That and the fact it looks like a Mondeo in profile...I love the "hips" on the original S60 looking at it from the rear (steady BBD!!!).
It's that floating console merging into a screen and single vent that just doesn't work for me on the inside of the new car. Horrible !
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 18 Jun 11 at 21:24
 Volvo V70 - demo report - Avant
Reading this thread I was thinking 'Skoda Superb' even before seeing Lygonos's post. Your boys are going to be TALL so legroom and headroom are obviously crucial. The Superb estate is to my eyes at least better looking than the hatch. The Mondeo (legroom?) and the S80 (if you don't need an estate) look like possibilities - also perhaps a Mercedes estate although you'd have to have an older one for the same money. But the Superb has acres of room in the back.

I'm not sure what your budget is: Superb estates haven't been out long but there should be some hatchbacks available quite cheaply. If you live within range of Oxford, Jewsons Skoda are excellent: I've heard good things of the new Parkview Skoda in Reading, but although I live near Reading I've stayed loyal to Jewsons.

I looked at your previous thread and now see the wider issue: a bonus with the Prius is the very generous legroom in the rear (not sure about headroom as I'm short), and the fuel consumption, although nothing like as good as advertised, would be comparable with your current diesel Volvo. The Mark II is fine in town, a little frenetic on motorways: the current model has a 1.8 petrol engine and is an improvement. Well woth a look if you decide to keep the Verso. But then as someone said above, if a new car is for you, then another S60 must be tempting.

Last edited by: Avant on Sun 19 Jun 11 at 01:07
 Volvo V70 - demo report - Dave
Looked at the new pug 508 or 5008, can't remember which, but it was a large regular estate car.
 Volvo V70 - demo report - apm
We had an S60 D5 (great car) which I was really fond of, for all of those qualities already mentioned. Having previously owned a 940, I too was a little disappointed by the interior space of the latest V70. I put it down to the design (shared by the S60) where the body curves inward above the shoulder line.

Looking for big space, we went for an W310 E class estate (post facelift, 56 plate 220 CDI). It's HUGE and extremely comfortable (I drove 10 hours down to Limousin) and got out with barely a stretch. Worth checking out if size matters to you!

Cheers,

Alex.
 Volvo V70 - demo report - Slightlyfatdirector
Hi Will, I had an S60 2005 D5 163hp (specifically to stop purchases in Ikea and other places - "can't buy that mirror love, won't fit in the car"), and I loved it, although the ride was poor (even on standard 16" wheels). Moved into new house with big garden and realised I had a hugely impractical saloon and needed an estate.

I rejected the V70 as it had not been out long and was not very impressive, especially for company car tax purposes with the D5 and the 2.0 was underpowered (clearly resolved now with the D3).

I ended up with a BMW 520d Touring which was bought new in 2008 and I have since done 85,000 miles in. The boot is vast and space is really good. Took 4 of us from the company (most 6ft tall and one 6'4") with luggage to Germany and back with everyone impressed.

Best bits are fuel economy (driven hard most of the time average 46.3mpg, driven gently then 50 can be seen on a good run), quietness which even on run flats it is eeriliy quiet (unless on concrete motorways), with low volume conversations possible at autobahn speeds (on the autobahn of course!) and comfort with the excellent seats (not leather ones). The amount of kit that comes with the car as standard was excellent (on the new ones you even get leather as standard I see).

The boot is big and folded seats = huge (not as big as a MB E class though).

Negatives? Yes. Completely souless. No character whatsoever and in manual form feels less powerful (at 177hp) and much less torquey than the Volvo, although on paper it should be comparable. Powerful enough certainly, you just need to stir the box a bit whereas on the Volvo you left it in fifth and just pressed the accelerator a bit harder.

Thought I would learn to love it, but I don't. Value now is about £9,000 as a trade in, so a good 2nd hand buy I would guess. I will be driving mine 'til it dies I expect.

Worth a look at on your shortlist?

Oh, worth mentioning that the tyre life I get on the BM is exceptional. Only on it's second set at the rear with nearly 4mm of tread left, and the fronts were only replaced about 10-15k miles ago........
Thanks to Avant, APM and SFD for thoughtful contributions. I'm handily placed for both Avant's Skoda shops. (Reading is closer but I get lost there, so I prefer Oxford.) I also wonder whether an Octavia might be a good replacement for the S60 - bigger boot than a Golf for probably less money) while we decide what to replace the Verso with. Only problem with that plan is that it would leave us without a Swedish car for the first time in 15 years. People seem to manage without, but can I?

The Mercedes and BMW options are both worth a further look. The LHD wipers rule out the previous 5 for me, so we'll have to wait until the current 520d becomes affordable. No such worries with the E, and the current one looks better as an estate, without the fussy overstyling round the rear wheels.

I would have slight inverse-status anxiety about either, though. The town I live in is affluent and neither would look out of place. But work is a different matter: my employer doesn't do company cars and it's the least car-cultured place I've worked in. There are lots of middle-aged Fords and Vauxhalls, plenty of small BMWs of various ages, and a few grander, shinier things belonging to directors and VPs. I'm not even a senior manager - although I have 'senior' in one job title and 'manager' in the other - and while no-one notices my S60, I would be a little self-conscious arriving in a 520d or an E220 CDI. Perhaps there's a whole new thread in that.
 Volvo V70 - demo report - Slightlyfatdirector
Good subject. We are a company with mainly Volvos and the idea of a BMW was frowned upon. Made financial sense for the company though in the long term, based on economy and residuals. It was cheaper over 3 years to buy the new BM v. a 1 year old V70. Previously we had only ever bought nearly new cars. It is only when you sit down and do the maths that it made sense.

If anyones raises an eyebrow at my car (internally, customers or suppliers), it gets dismissed very quickly with the emissions / economy argument, and I explain it is just an efficient tool to do a job, and not a status symbol. That is indeed what I think strongly.

Windscreen wipers though? Mine has a special gearing / arm bit so it wipes the whole screen very efficiently. I get a bit obsessed with a clean screen so beleive me, if there was an obtrusive unswept area I would not have bought the car.
Yeah, I know - I wasn't entirely serious about the status thing. A grey example of either would pass quite unnoticed.

The wipers thing does bother me, though. I suppose I'd have to drive one in the rain to find out, but I've sat in the right seat of a left-hand-drive 5 and been very glad the man on my left had a better view than I did. It's another Tall thing - that top corner is more important to me than to most other drivers. Our old Fabia bugged me because the wipers didn't reach the top of the screen. It wasn't dangerous, and I don't suppose the 5 is either, but I was too close for comfort to the edge of the swept area. No such problems with the 5GT; perhaps I should have one of those.
Latest Forum Posts