Motoring Discussion > MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable.
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 23

MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - Mapmaker
I cannot believe I'll be the first to post this, so no doubt I'll be merged, but anyway:

uk.cars.yahoo.com/30032010/36/mini-world-s-most-expensive-mirror-0.html
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - Mike Hannon
Not everyone in the UK building trade is on their uppers then.
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - Ted

It doesn't do anything for me..........on reflection .

Ere we go !

Ted
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - Old Sock
A sad reflection on its owner, one might say :-)
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - Zero
well thats taken the shine off the purchase.
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - crocks
I understand the insurance companies being wary.
Any damage will lead to seven years bad luck.
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - RattleandSmoke
I am sure they could get third party only for it. Classic case of people being so rich they don't have the commons sense to check the insurance before they buy the car.
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - madf
All smoke and mirrors...
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - Mapmaker
>>Classic case of people being so rich they don't have the commons sense to check the
>>insurance before they buy the car.

I reckon that's a bit harsh. Admittedly somebody splashing 10-15k on a coat of paint has more money than sense, but expecting the insurance to be that much higher - I don't think I would have.
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - Zero
I would. there is no way a small ding can be repaired in a half decent manner without major respray work

There is no law to say that companies have to insure you, they can decline, and have.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 31 Mar 10 at 15:42
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - JohnM{P}
I guess it's a wrap job, so repairing a panel wouldn't cost wouldn't be difficult - just put a new layer of wrap over it, surely? It sounds like someone needs to explain to the insurance company how it was done and what was the true cost of converting it...
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - swiss tony
I would say that all chrome cars should be uninsurable!

can you imagine driving when the sun (remember that?) is shining brightly, and a chrome car dazzles you?
reflections off rear screens etc, can be bad enough, but IMO a chrome car would be deadly.
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - rtj70
A Mini Cooper S costs £17k (ish) without options. This cost £38k because of the 'paint job'! So the paint/wrap cost £21k! No wonder it cannot be insured. Surely it was not possible to sell such a car - until this idiot bought it.

I cannot see how it cost £21k to paint/wrap the car. But can see how a highly reflective car can be a problem for other motorists due to reflections.
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - ....
I was wondering if there was such a thing as chrome paint or if the car had been wrapped.
There is not way it would cost that much to wrap the car...
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - hawkeye
A shining example of unwarranted excess.

It's OK I've already got me coat ...
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - Iffy
...can you imagine driving when the sun (remember that?) is shining brightly...

Dunno about that, but I note the story was lifted from The Sun newspaper, so that's another good tale they've broken.

I only mention this because I got a bit of harmless enough stick on here the other day when I was sticking up for the old currant bun.

And no, I don't work there.

MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - zookeeper
so the insurers wont insure it cause thieves may take a shine to it, what t leaf in there right mind would drive it ? surely its cast iron guarenteed un nickable on that basis?
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - henry k
>> ...what t leaf in there right mind would drive it ?
>>
One who has a shippimg container waiting then off to a port ready to be exported to another market?
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - zookeeper
its only a mini henry not a merc
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - Auntie Lockbrakes
I saw a Bentley with a chrome paint job like this in Dubai last year, and I was wondering about sun reflection. Car looked flash, quite literally :-)
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - Runfer D'Hills
Reminds me of one my favourite cinema lines "me and the boys was thinkin' of something more.....shiny like...."
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - Robin O'Reliant
Chrome is porous, so I could see that car turning into a very expensive pile of rust within a few years.
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - crocks
Not that dissimilar to a Bugatti Veryon Pur Sang.
tinyurl.com/y8ddx6u

Think I saw one at Goodwood last year.
 MINI - Chrome paint = uninsurable. - Dog
Chrome must be a Devil of a job to keep clean ... I quite like it though (to look at)
Probably a Google browser stunt.
Latest Forum Posts