Motoring Discussion > Esher to Much Wenlock (Shropshire) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 12

Esher to Much Wenlock (Shropshire) - Duncan
Next weekend I shall be driving up to Much Wenlock in Shropshire, What's the best way to go?

The route finders disagree whether to go North or South of Brum. Personally I think I favour south. What think you?

Leaving middle of the morning on Saturday. The destination is a small village called Wyke a few miles Northeast of MW.

TIA.
 Esher to Much Wenlock (Shropshire) - Manatee
I think the M40 is a nicer run than M1-M6, which militates in favour of the southerly route - west on the M42, off at J1 before the M5, and across country on the A458. Unless you can avoid busy times, I wouldn't plan a route involving M6 J7-9.

If you do decide to go anywhere near Wolverhampton, try the Great Western ;-)
 Esher to Much Wenlock (Shropshire) - Zero
Easy one this,

M40, M42 south section, A491, A458.
 Esher to Much Wenlock (Shropshire) - Iffy
I can see why some routefinders recommend M1/M6 because going the other way you have quite a few miles on slow A-roads after the M42 conks out.

Were it 3am in the morning, and were there no law enforcement, and if I wanted to get there quickly, I would hammer up the M1/M6.

But in the real world, the other way is almost certainly best.

Apart from anything else, from Esher you would join the M25 and drive past the M40 turning to get to the M1.

My route planning instinct tells me you take the first direct route you can.

Go south, young man.

Esher to Much Wenlock (Shropshire) - henry k
From Esher I often use M4 J8/9 & A404 to get to the M40.
Temp traffic lights at Hampton waterworks can cause tail backs.
 Esher to Much Wenlock (Shropshire) - Zero
Surely its A3 / M25 /M40? Why would you cross the river to go through Hampton? - Which as you say is currently a right pig.

Esher to Much Wenlock (Shropshire) - henry k
It depends on where you start from in the Esher area.
I am on the Hampton Court side but if you are on the otherside then I agree A3 is king.
 Esher to Much Wenlock (Shropshire) - Ted

I visit a lady friend in Much Wenlock now and again.
Lovely place...especially on a crisp Winter evening when the woodsmoke hangs over the rooftops.

I suggest M6 Then M54 to junction 6.
Left on to A5223 to Horsehay. Right at roundabout on to A4159...SP Much Wenlock then left into MW road at the bottom of Buildwas Bank.
Over the Severn straight away and the road to Wyke is on the left a mile or so further on,

I use the last bit, from the M54 on my trips down through Cheshire and Shropshire, usually on the bike.

Ted
 Esher to Much Wenlock (Shropshire) - Dave_
Duncan,

Having spent a year and a bit delivering in and around Stourbridge/Halesowen every day I'd go with the Z-meister's suggestion of A491/A458 through Bridgnorth.

Yes you'll have to pay more attention than a straight motorway cruise would demand, but the A-roads in question are easy drives and seldom congested. This route avoids the busy section of M42 around the NEC and the M6 through Spaghetti junction to boot.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sat 4 Jun 11 at 18:22
 Esher to Much Wenlock (Shropshire) - Iffy
Ran this one past banking brother who lives in the West Midlands.

He reckons it's too close to call and he would probably use whichever route he'd not been on for a while.

So maybe up one way and down the other is as good a plan as any.

Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 5 Jun 11 at 05:47
Thank you for all those responses. I think on balance, I will probably go South and West of Brummagen. I feel more comfortable with that.
 Esher to Much Wenlock (Shropshire) - Mapmaker
Don't forget to take your Vaughan Williams with you.
>> Don't forget to take your Vaughan Williams with you.
>>

Rather that than Frankie Vaughan, what, what!
Latest Forum Posts