Motoring Discussion > Cruise control indicator. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 12

Cruise control indicator. - Old Navy
Should cars have a coloured (green) light in the back window to indicate that the cruise control is on. In the faint hope that drivers would not overtake and then slow down to less than your original speed.
 Cruise control indicator. - jc2
What about people with steady feet?
They slow down and speed up on inclines. :-)
 Cruise control indicator. - -
Probably used CC for a total of 20 miles in 2 and half years for this very reason, doesn't matter what you do to get rid of them another one comes along soon enough.
 Cruise control indicator. - hawkeye
I think you expect too much.
You are right, I need a stiff dose of realism! I probably suffer more than most as I live in a light traffic area, (compared to south of Preston) and use CC a lot. :-)
 Cruise control indicator. - Fursty Ferret
With a bit of effort though you can sometimes find another car on cruise control at roughly the speed you want. Tuck in behind and travel in convoy. They do the work of looking for upcoming cars and overtaking; when they flick their indicator on you do the same.

Makes for very relaxed driving, though it does mean you have to stop at the services for a coffee when they do.
 Cruise control indicator. - Mapmaker
I like CC and use it a lot. But not if I'm tired - I find it quite scary the fear of dozing off owing to not having to do anything whatsoever to control the car.

I sense that the steadiest of feet slow off when heading up a hill. I sense also that this saves them some petrol.
 Cruise control indicator. - Skoda
Bull bars and special dispensation to assist the folks that cut in and slow down, in finding an appropriate crusing speed.

You should be able to pop their reg number into a website afterwards and claim the extra petrol back off them too for all the time you were shoving them along.
 Cruise control indicator. - Bill Payer
>> Should cars have a coloured (green) light in the back window

Yes they should! I've often wished for this.
 Cruise control indicator. - rtj70
I disagree. I get prats driving too close on local and motorways because I won't speed but doing faster speed than allowed.

At times I enjoy holding up prat drivers by doing the legal max speed. When I spot them I make sure they drive within limits.

I once got the satisfying result of them getting frustrated and getting the chance to speed on a local road. As I moved over at 30mph they speeded up. And got caught by the speed camera they ignored.... two flashes. I hope they got banned. I was doing the limit.
 Cruise control indicator. - Redviper
I get prats driving too close on local and motorways because I won't
>> speed but doing faster speed than allowed.
>>
>> At times I enjoy holding up prat drivers by doing the legal max speed. When
>> I spot them I make sure they drive within limits.
>>

Spot on rtj70, I completely agree with you and do exactly the same thing.

1st things 1st though im not saying i am a perfect driver far from it, i have found my self over the limit from not concentrating properly.
However

I Refuse downright to be bullied and intimidated to go faster than is allowed if someone is up my backside then that only encourages me more to stay at the limit espcially where the limit is there for a reason, i dont care what they are driving either and i will stick to that limit as well.
If i am overtaking on the motorway and someone comes screaming up behind me then they can stay there until ive finished
I was coming up the A1 through Sheffield last year, i planned my overtaking manover, checked mirrors no one was behind me pulled out and then from nowhere a couple of *Censored, Censored* had to brake suddenly in this top of the range merc as they where coming up the inside lane of the motorway at light speed, and litrelly where inches away from me as they tried to bully me out of the way.

Didnt make me move any faster though, but they where not in my mirrors when i moved out to overtake i can swear to that.
 Cruise control indicator. - Statistical Outlier
I had to dive for the hard shoulder on the M6 the other week. Came past a container truck, and then into the 50 limit for roadworks around J38. I slowed to an indicated 50 having pulled into the inside lane a good 200 m in front of the truck.

I'm guessing the truck was freewheeling at >56, as he came up behind me with mainbeams, fogs and horn blazing. There were 3 lanes available and no other traffic, but I still chickened out and hit the hard shoulder as he steamed past having not moved over one inch. No idea what his problem was, he wouldn't have had to break stride if he'd wanted to go past in lane 2.

Of course no company logos on the (UK registration) truck so no easy complaint to make. I didn't take his reg or I might have reported him to the police, but as I had no witnesses other than my gf it didn't seem worth it.
Latest Forum Posts