Motoring Discussion > BMW 3-Series E30 - Soft top storage Miscellaneous
Thread Author: apm Replies: 9

BMW 3-Series E30 - Soft top storage - apm
Just a quick one.

I've just acquired an E30 325i convertible. I'm lucky enough to be able to store it in a garage.

The hood is in good nick, and I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible.

What's the best way to store it with regard to the hood:

1) Overnight (ie does it matter if it stays hood down for a few days/ week)?
2) Over winter (when it will probably not get alot of use)?

I figure options are

a) up and fastened
b) up but not fastened (ie not under tension)
c) down and folded.

Opinions valued as ever!

Many thanks,

Alex.
 BMW 3-Series E30 - Soft top storage - Zero
A: all the time

c; only when you want the hood down and on the move,
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 17 May 11 at 18:12
 BMW 3-Series E30 - Soft top storage - corax
>> Just a quick one.

I'd like to know how you find the car Alex. Saw an immaculate E30 this morning - white with advertising vinyl across it. They still look great, and easily hold their own in traffic, being much smaller than todays cars. Watch the back end though :)
 BMW 3-Series E30 - Soft top storage - PeterS
>> They still look great, and easily hold
>> their own in traffic, being much smaller than todays cars. Watch the back end though
>> :)
>>

I can second that, having had a E30 325i touring for the best part of 3 years and 16k miles. Pretty quick, even by modern every day car standards, much to the chagrin of your average rep-mobile driver, and a fantastic engine note as the straight 6 whips round to the red line. Easy to show them a clean pair of heels exiting the A27 roundabouts, but on a damp/greasy road...

And for Rattle, I've just remembered that it too had a 'low oil level' warning light on the OBC which was still reliable 22 years after first registration...

Peter
 BMW 3-Series E30 - Soft top storage - Mike Hannon
I'd be wary about leaving the hood up but unfastened. My friend did that last winter with his dry-stored Z3s and, to my surprise, they were both warped a bit out of line when the time came to use them properly again.
I sometimes leave the XJS hood down for days at a time (often because I've put the hood cover on and can't be bothered to take it off again) but for any longer period out of use it's always up and fastened.
 BMW 3-Series E30 - Soft top storage - Stuu
Keep hood up when not in use.
 BMW 3-Series E30 - Soft top storage - bathtub tom
My daughter's MX5 has a hard top in the Winter. The hood stays folded.

Perhaps the fag-ash acts as a preservative.
 BMW 3-Series E30 - Soft top storage - swiss tony
One of the most important things, when stowing a folding roof, is to do it dry.
Any dampness will cause damage.
 BMW 3-Series E30 - Soft top storage - apm
Thanks for your replies, all- most helpful.

I will keep the hood generally up and locked into position as the default then. In common with Mike, it may stay down and folded for a couple of days or so. It was replaced in 2003, so should last well if I look after it. It certainly looks nice!

As regards the car, it is early days, but so far I love it! It's not a perfect example (one or two items don't operate properly), but the body is solid and mechanically it's excellent. It's an M-sport version, so has leather and Alpina wheels which are HUGE but quite suit the car. Someone has fitted a scorpion SS exhaust, which looks a bit lary and adds to the insurance, but does make a nice noise!

It's a lovely drive- smooth and remarkably refined for its age and mileage (129k). The engine pulls well to the red line and it's quite quick once it gets going! It's a very different drive to our daily car (E220 CDI estate S310), lacking the turbo diesel shove and ultimate refinement offered by that car, but you can hold each gear far longer and throw it about a bit too. It does feel dated, but in a good way, and as has been mentioned, the howl from the six when revving hard is delicious!

Overall, it really feels like a great compromise between a modern and perhaps slightly less interesting ragtop, and a 'proper' classic. I've heard it described as 'retro'. Not out of place or pace in traffic, but unusual enough to generate the odd look and hopefully smile of nostalgia. I am happier than I think I would have been with an E36 or Saab, despite not having an electric hood! I am prepared for the odd breakdown, but hopefully not too many. And there are, of course, less things to go wrong!

And the wife doesn't hate it, although describes it as 'heavy' to drive (certainly compared to the Merc). She has already made a list of things that need to be done- but at least she has promised to take on the interior (feeding the leather etc).

For the record, it came with 11.5 months of MOT, and I paid £1900 for it. Slightly more than a 900 but less than a decent six cylinder E36. Insurance through Footman James, £205 pa (London suburb, 5k pa, garaged).

Cheers,

Alex.

BMW 3-Series E30 - Soft top storage - Ian (Cape Town)
Enjoy.
I had the 323i cabrio for a few years - delightful car as a daily driver, especially with the three-speeder autobox.
Damn heavy on juice, though.

Things to keep in the car - spare glasses, a cap, suncream, antihistamine lotion for the beestings! If you are doing distances, drink lots of water.
Latest Forum Posts