Motoring Discussion > Sprockhoevelway. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 12

Sprockhoevelway. - Dutchie
A new A1 link road at Hemsworth is called Sprockhoevelway.

Linking towns and streetnames from abroad is a good idea but I have a feeling the locals will struggle with this name :)

Reminds me of a road i used to live in Wolphaertsbocht I struggle to say it now.
 Sprockhoevelway. - Manatee
Sprockhoevel (Sprockhövel) appears to be a town near Dusseldorf, so I guess it's twinned with Hemsworth so the locals, at least the older ones, might be familiar with it.

My home town of Brighouse, not too distant from Hemsworth, is twinned with Lüdenscheid, not far from Sprockhoevel as it happens. There has been a Lüdenscheid Way since 1984 so we beat you to it ;-)

Most Brigussers say Looden-shide - sounds a bit better in English than the German pronunciation.

The Brighouse Lüdenscheid Society was very active when I was at home, but went a bit dormant. I think it's been revived this year with another visit.
Funny how some towns are linked and you don't know.

Was in Millau last year France and the town is linked with Bridlington in yorkshire.
 Sprockhoevelway. - Manatee
It's actually nearby South Kirkby that's twinned with Sprockhoevel.

The locals are revolting. goo.gl/9a7ph

Or possibly just xenophobic. They'd probably rather call it "Link Road" (there's one of those in Hemel Hempstead. The councillors must have mislaid the post-it notes at that particular brainstorm).
 Sprockhoevelway. - borasport
Well even Wigan, twinned with Angers, has a Loire Way, though every sat nav I've ever seen calls it Lorie Way

Don't know we should rush to adopt thesf furrin' ideas - I used have a customer in Amersfoort on Printer Way -right of Plotter Way, down Output Way, left onto Printer Way, down Algol way and Basic way........

then again, the streets around Springfield Park were named First Street, Second Street and........ yes, you guessed it :-)
Off the subject Amersfoort nice place one off my nieces lives there.Had one of our holidays in Apeldoorn I cycled with a mate of mine from Rotterdam we took a tent.
 Sprockhoevelway. - NortonES2
I await news of the first twinning with Middelfart:) Near Odense, Denmark. Much semi-suppressed giggling from the back of the car when we stayed nearby.
 Sprockhoevelway. - neiltoo
Bury in Greater Manchester has an Angouleme Way - pronounced almost universally as Goolie Way.
 Sprockhoevelway. - ....
It's spread across Europe.
We have a Farehamstraße. It would have been funnier if the town was twinned with Worthing then we could have had Worthingstraße and pleasure of the locals getting to grips with W and TH in the same word.
 Sprockhoevelway. - Zero
Is there a place twinned with Street, in Somerset?

Streetstraße would be great!
 Sprockhoevelway. - Runfer D'Hills
Clarks head office address is -

40 High Street
Street

...which I have always found amusing but then I am easily pleased.
 Sprockhoevelway. - Telb
Our German twin town is Liederbach, essentially a suburb of Frankfurt am Main.

It's wonderful to hear the locals trying to pronounce "Verwood"!!
 Sprockhoevelway. - Ian (Cape Town)
>> It's wonderful to hear the locals trying to pronounce "Verwood"!!
>>
That name rings a bell...
Latest Forum Posts