Motoring Discussion > Cut in tyre - is this legal? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 15

Cut in tyre - is this legal? - RattleandSmoke
Was doing the weekly checks on my dads car and found this on the front tyre, it looks like kerb damage.

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/Tyre.jpg

Is this tyre now ilegal?
 Cut in tyre - is this legal? - R.P.
Change it - legal or not that could land you in trouble - sidewall could be weakened after a bash like that. Have you got a decent spare on the car ?
Sadly not as its never been used since we had the car it is worn.

I can get a Kumho for £51 fitted but do you think there is a chance they can do it first thing tomorrow? I will be paying for it too :( I never kerb it but my dad has a habbit of doing this, he dosn't seem to understand the damage he is doing.

Cut in tyre - is this legal? - Skip
The state of the alloy shows that it has been kerbed on at least one occasion !

I would have thought that any tyre centre would have a suitable tyre in stock and will have it fitted and get you on your way within 20 minutes.

I agree with PU, get it changed, it's not worth the risk !
Going to get the bus tomorrow morning and get to the jobs that way and hopefully while I am working I can get a mobile fitter out if not hopefully a tyre centre will have it in. The problem is I want to pay the online price and not the retail price.

Cut in tyre - is this legal? - Skip
It's always worth asking the tyre centre if they will match the online price - they can only say no !
 Cut in tyre - is this legal? - bathtub tom
Looks like the regular driver uses the kerb to find it.

My late father-in-law had the same habit, his sidewalls were completely unreadable.
 Cut in tyre - is this legal? - -
That only looks like a slight cut to me Rattie, nearly said nick but thought better of it.

Prod it with a not sharp implement to see if any cords are exposed, there appears to be no accompanying bulge to show any radial cords broken.

If it's only as it looks and not down to cords i'd leave it on and run it, obviously keep an eye on it for a week or so.

The sidewalls look like the ones on my trucks trailer, scrubbed, that includes the offside.
 Cut in tyre - is this legal? - MD
Change it now.
Far too fussy you lot, and that disc looks in fine fettle too Rattie.
 Cut in tyre - is this legal? - MD
No fuss in death. Final.
Have another look at that pic Mart it's only a nick, looks like the tyre gets a few kerbings now and again anyway, if this ones changed i imagine the next one will look like this by July.

We used to repair tyres in this condition by grinding out the cut filling with uncured rubber, vulcanising and buffing to finish.
No interior damage and only classed as minor repair for cosmetic purposes only, that'll be £5,10s,6d. please.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 28 Mar 10 at 22:01
The discs should like fine, they have less than 200 miles on them! The old ones had more groves in them than a vinyl record.

I will get it changed as my dad has a 300 mile journey in it soon but we are paying half each so its not too bad.

Cut in tyre - is this legal? - swiss tony
id put that as the spare.
have a word with the tyre company, and see what they say.
 Cut in tyre - is this legal? - Dwight Van Driver
Con and Use Regs require that a tyre does not have to remain legal:

(1) the tyre has a cut in excess of 25 mm or 10% of the section width of the tyre, whichever is the greater, measured in any direction on the outside of the tyre and deep enough to reach the ply or cord; or

(2) the tyre has any lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of its structure;

(3) the tyre has any of the ply or cord exposed;

Heed the advice above, do not tempt fate and have it checked out at a reputable tyre firm.

dvd
 Cut in tyre - is this legal? - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> have it checked out at a
>> reputable tyre firm.
>>

>>

I can't imagine any tyre firm, reputable or disreputable, telling you the tyre is fine, and advising you not to waste your money.
Latest Forum Posts