Motoring Discussion > BMW inclusive servicing - value? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 29

BMW inclusive servicing - value? - Hard Cheese

16 month old 1-Series ...

... the option of inclusive servicing up to the car being five years old ... ... covers all parts and labour but for wear and tear, i.e. tyres and brake pads, for about £450.

How much is three years & eight months and, say, 35000 miles of servicing likely to cost ... ... surely much more than £450?

Any thoughts etc?

Thanks.

BMW inclusive servicing - value? - Zero
Is it variable servicing? Could mean just two services max at 225 quid each?
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 6 May 11 at 22:02

It's by the service indicator so who knows ...

The car has done 6k in 16 months so the question is what will another 35 to 40k of servicing cost?

BMW inclusive servicing - value? - Skoda
Is it the "Service Inclusive" (not worth the paper it's written on at £450 IMO) or "Service Inclusive Plus"?

If the latter, bite their hand off. First set of pads and discs will see you into credit.
Last edited by: Skoda on Fri 6 May 11 at 23:00

>> Is it the "Service Inclusive" (not worth the paper it's written on at £450 IMO)
>> or "Service Inclusive Plus"?
>>

The former I am sure though as per Londoner's post you only need a couple of £300 services and the £450 is good value.

I will call the dealer tomorrow and see what servicing costs are.

>> The former I am sure though as per Londoner's post you only need a couple
>> of £300 services and the £450 is good value.

He said if he had only done 40k, it would not have been good value.

>> He said if he had only done 40k, it would not have been good value.
>>

His cost £600.

Seems to me that is 3.5 years plus it would need more than £450 in servicing.

I would assume the servicing costs are lower for the 1 series.
>> you only need a couple of ... services

Couple of full price services. Who pays full price? :-)

At £450 i definitely think it'd be a lot easier to come out worse than better.
 BMW inclusive servicing - value? - Londoner
I took the service pack when I bought a new BMW. It cost £600 and covered routine maintenance for 5 years or 60k miles (whichever came sooner).

I easily did 60k within the time period so, I benefited from it. There was a major service (approx £300), minor service (£200) and two other inspections (£200). However, if I had only done about 40k in the five years then I think that I would have been out-of-pocket.
 BMW inclusive servicing - value? - R.P.
I had a good deal on the X1 five years for 250.00 - there was a promotion.
>> I had a good deal on the X1 five years for 250.00 - there was
>> a promotion.

Now that is a no brainer
Still ugly though - mind you took it for a blast tonight to a "function" really enjoyed driving for fun for a change.
 BMW inclusive servicing - value? - Auntie Lockbrakes
I just serviced a four and a half year old X3 at 40,000 miles, and paid just under 600 quid... The bulk of the cost? Various filters!

I'd have thought that 2 routine visits to a BMW main dealer with a 1-series will easily cost 250 quid each?

I want to like the X1 but SWMBO says Yuk. The new X3 however...
I rather like the X3 as well - maybe I should have waited, but saying that a fully loaded X1 was still cheaper than a base X3....it's a good car with one irritating feature...(which can be programmed out I hope)

>> it's a good car with one irritating feature...(which can be programmed out I hope)
>>

Can you programme out the rear end ...

;-)

>> I had a good deal on the X1 five years for 250.00 - there was
>> a promotion.
>>

How many miles have you done and how many services have you had so far PU?

Also what engine is your X1?

It's the 2.0 diesel (well they all are at the moment !) the mid-tuned engine 177 odd bhp. The car has done nearly 18k now and is flagging a service in 2.5k.

>> It's the 2.0 diesel (well they all are at the moment !) the mid-tuned engine
>> 177 odd bhp. The car has done nearly 18k now and is flagging a service
>> in 2.5k.
>>

Thanks PU, yes they are X-Drive 18/20/23, basically enine spec as per the 118d, 120d, 123d.

Reckon on two full services in 40k then. I will look at what this car is show regading a service being due, if in a few 000 then it adds value to the service pack.

BMW inclusive servicing - value? - Iffy
Will you keep the car long enough to benefit?

I recall PU took out a service plan on his Honda but sold the car before the plan had run its course.

I paid about £450 for a three-service plan on the CC3.

It equates to two small services and one big one.

Reasonable, but not startlingly good, value.

But I will be claiming all of the services - last one will be late this year/early next.

BMW inclusive servicing - value? - Perky Penguin
I looked at a 2 year servicing plan for my Ford and it was way over the cost of the same services at my rural Ford dealer.

ISTR recall there was an early promotion for 3 year's servicing on a new MINI for £100. That was a good deal.

Currently if you buy a new 4cyl BMW you can get a five year plan for £300, this is subsidised by BMW - no brainer - though for a used car it retails at around double that, the offer I have is a plan that takes the 16 month old / 6k mile car to five years or 60k miles for £450. I am in two minds.

I will be phoning the local dealer's service dept this AM.

BMW inclusive servicing - value? - PeterS
MINI TLC as it's called was just £100 for 5 years / 50k miles when we bought a MINI in 2002; I think it went up to £150 a few years later but it's now £249. Certainly when we sold it (after 18 months) it was expected that the car had it.

You can also top up to TLC XL which extends cover to 8 years / 80k miles for another £275 - not bad value really I don't think

Peter
 BMW inclusive servicing - value? - Bill Payer
One thing to be aware of it the service schedule for the inclusive services may well be different from the paid for ones. Also the dealer will only do the absolute bare minium - if you're paying then they'll regale you with all sorts of additional work and they sometimes tell you it's mandatory.

I think the BMW service inclusive work is listed on their website.

On my Merc, I had an MB service package and I've been astonished by how little work it actually needs. Our Golf has 3yrs servicing, but that consists of 3 oil changes and 1 brake fluid - at £299 that's not good value, but it's cheaper than having to pay at the dealership to avoid warranty hassles.
We just missed out on the cheap deal on our Mistubishi Colt - the dealer will cheerfully quote for standard servicing but then tries to carry out the reduced schedule.

The car in question's service indicator says it needs an oil service in 13000 miles or Aug 11 (whichever comes first) plus a brake fluid change and cabin microfilter also in Aug 11, the cost of these according to BMW menu pricing is £148, £98 and £67 respectively.

The price to be paid for buying a 6k mile car that is just over a year old and has not had its first service yet. This £300 in the first four months makes the £450 for the Service Inclusive a no-brainer I reckon.

On the other hand this car is over £10k less than a new one with the same options and only £3k more than a three year old 30k miler.

Check that brake fluid change and cabin filter are in the list of items covered, you may find the brake fluid change may not be, being classed as a "supplemental"

If it is, as you say, no brainer.

Both included, I have checked.

Brake linings are not though however the service indicator is indicating 23k and 30k miles for the front and rear respectively.
>>
>> Both included, I have checked.
>>
>> Brake linings are not though however the service indicator is indicating 23k and 30k miles
>> for the front and rear respectively.

How do they measure that? Some form or resistance through the pad material? or just a wild guess based on the number of times the pedal is pressed?
>> How do they measure that?

3 stage brake pad wear sensors. It gives you a wooly figure based on what BMW think they should last until the first sensor is worn through, then it begins a more accurate count down.

In theory it "learns" so that when you put new pads / sensors and reset CBS, the next countdown will follow your previous mileages.

BMW inclusive servicing - value? - John H
>> How much is three years & eight months and, say, 35000 miles of servicing likely
>> to cost ... ... surely much more than £450?
>>
>> Any thoughts etc?
>>

You are going to have your car serviced by BMW at the called for intervals, aren't you?

So those BMW services might cost you anything between around £400 to £800 in maybe a 90% range of certainty.

What is there to think about? Pay £450 now and you might break even or lose £50 or a bit more. On the other hand you might gain £200 or more.

Latest Forum Posts