Motoring Discussion > Protecting Exposed Metal Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Skoda Replies: 3

Protecting Exposed Metal - Skoda
For a while now i've been using a cheap jumbo tub of grease and smearing it thinly over exposed metal bits under the wheel arches (brake pipe unions, nuts, bolts blaa blaa) and in choice locations underneath (mainly visible fasteners). Every time i rotate the wheels.

Is GP grease the right product?

Reason i ask is grease attracts and holds lots of muck, almost instantly. I'm wondering if this trapped crud could end up doing more harm than good long term.

When you wipe the grease off it's hard to tell but i could be convinced that some crud makes its way through the grease and might be held against the metal. This might not matter because there might not be any oxygen in there.

It seems to be effective in that everything is more or less as new condition when cleaned - but modern materials & finishes probably mean it'd look as new when cleaned up even without grease on top. Maybe.

The dirty grease is also unsightly as hell, and the intention is the complete opposite.

Any ideas if it's a net benefit? Any better products that wont have dirt stick but will still allow bolts to be undone?
 Protecting Exposed Metal - Lygonos
Why not use vaseline - clear compared to grease and easier to wipe off and reapply.

Just as good a water barrier as grease for bearings.

And it'll provide some relief when the austerity measures continue to take hold over the next year or two...
 Protecting Exposed Metal - Iffy
The only problem with dirty grease is that it's a first class grinding paste.

But it's not a problem in this case because you are not applying it to moving parts, are you?

Protecting Exposed Metal - Stuartli
Try Waxoyl in either aerosol form or using a paint brush - I use to coat the ignition system distributor and cables with it on earlier cars and never had winter starting problems.
Latest Forum Posts