Motoring Discussion > 90,000 mile tire warranty.... Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Bazza1603 Replies: 13

90,000 mile tire warranty.... - Bazza1603
Hi,

Been searching for some all season tyres, and came across Nokian. Googled them and came across an American site.

Googled again and I found Mitchelin offer our America counter parts upto 90000 mileage warranty against wear. One example below

www.michelinman.com/warranty/additional-limited-warranty/

I am now wondering now I have never managed more than 15-20K from a set of tront tyres and 40k for a rear pair.

How and why is 90000 miles possible the otherside of the pond. Is there a good reason?? I have driven a lot in lot in the states and can only think its due to road and tempature??

Can someone help answer my question?

Thanks

Barry

90,000 mile tire warranty.... - Focusless
Some info here:
www.autospies.com/news/Are-mileage-warranties-worth-their-weight-in-tires-1363/
 90,000 mile tire warranty.... - CGNorwich
The warranty covers against any manufacturing defects in the tyre for the stated mileage or a set term e.g 4 years. It does not guarantee that the tyres will last that long. A nice big figure plucked from the air makes for good marketing.

Just try proving that your puncture was due to a manufacturing defect and not the way you looked after your tyres!

www.michelinman.com/warranty/

90,000 mile tire warranty.... - Focusless
>> The warranty covers against any manufacturing defects in the tyre for the stated mileage
>> or a set term e.g 4 years. It does not guarantee that the tyres will
>> last that long.

But I get the impression there are also 'tread wear' warranties that do cover for just wear, as discussed in the link I posted?
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 1 May 11 at 17:56
 90,000 mile tire warranty.... - Zero

>> I am now wondering now I have never managed more than 15-20K from a set
>> of tront tyres and 40k for a rear pair.

Thats a bit low, I usually get 30-36k out of front tyres. 50k out of rears
 90,000 mile tire warranty.... - CGNorwich
"Thats a bit low, I usually get 30-36k out of front tyres. 50k out of rears"

It varies enormously from car to car. Used to manage 15,000 at best on the CMax. fronts. Got 35,000 from the Octavia
 90,000 mile tire warranty.... - Zero
Thats the strange thing, it rarely does with me

Even with the Touran.
Fiesta 1.4 D 2008 and 2004. Zafira 2008 1.6, Focus 1.8D 2006 all all cars that I have had to replace there 1st tyres between 15000 and normally 18000 mils. Only way i would get 40000 is if they where slicks at the end....

Found this.... So if you dont get to 90000, you get a pro rota discount on your next set.

Mileage warranties aren't a promise that the tire will get the mileage specified - in your case, 80,000 miles. That would be a guarantee. A warranty is merely a promise that if you fail to get the mileage specified that you will be compensated per the provisions of the warranty - and that is usually in the form of a reduced cost for the next set of identical tires - same size and pattern - and if not available, something comparable from the same manufacturer (or however the warranty states it).

90,000 mile tire warranty.... - Tigger
Strange how small cars can really wear the tyres and big cars not wear them

Mine were only about 1/4 worn on the landcruiser at 21,000 miles. I only swapped them because I wanted a more off road tread.
 90,000 mile tire warranty.... - Bill Payer
>> Strange how small cars can really wear the tyres and big cars not wear them
>>
>> Mine were only about 1/4 worn on the landcruiser at 21,000 miles. I only swapped
>> them because I wanted a more off road tread.
>>

It varies a lot with 4x4 / SUV's - Audi Q7's are notorious for absolutely eating tyres.

I noticed tyres on sale in the US tend to have very high treadwear ratings - there's some argument about how valid they are, but tyres in the UK tend to be in 180 to 300 range. I looked at tyres in Walmart Florida and many of them were treadwear 600. Wonder what their wet weather grip would be like?
 90,000 mile tire warranty.... - Armel Coussine
The hardest-wearing tyres are harsh and give poor wet grip.

That doesn't mean that harsh tyres with poor wet grip are necessarily hard-wearing.

I'd talk to a tyre man and say what I wanted and ask if he had any. Not just any old tyre man, obviously.
 90,000 mile tire warranty.... - Tigger
>> It varies a lot with 4x4 / SUV's - Audi Q7's are notorious for absolutely
>> eating tyres.

The other car on my final shortlist was the VW Toureg, which also is a tyre eater - 13,000 miles seemed common when I was looking at the two cars.
 90,000 mile tire warranty.... - L'escargot
It's a means of trying to encourage you to stick to Michelin for any replacements.
Latest Forum Posts