Motoring Discussion > 60 in a 30 zone - court summons Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 9

60 in a 30 zone - court summons - SteelSpark
A couple of weeks ago I was driving along a single carriageway, that has a number of villages along the way, which all have 30 limits and cameras just after you enter the 30 zone.

There were a couple of cars in front of me that were perhaps doing 40, the second car was likely being held up by the first. Anyway, I go to a long straight and decided to overtake. There was plenty of visibility and no oncoming traffic so I pulled out, and started to overtake them. At this point I realised that we were coming into one of the 30 zones, but I still had space to overtake and safely get back into the left and slow to 30, which I did.

Now, at the time I was happy that I had made it back under 30 before passing the 30 sign and definitely before passing the camera that is about 10 metres further on. I had to brake quiet late, but I believe safely. However, after a while my new driver paranoia started to kick in, my mind started playing tricks, and I started to question whether I had in fact done so, or whether I had actually gone through at 60.

In my sensible moments I knew that I was definitely under 30 but when the paranoia kicked in I started to worry, especially as I reckon that 60 would be a court appearance and maybe an outright ban.

Well, I told the paranoid part of my brain, any NIP or court summons, would come within two weeks, and yesterday was the end of two weeks. So, my paranoia was happy when nothing had come through the post.

That was until this morning! A brown envelope, addressed to me plopped through the letterbox, it had a bit of a officialness about it, and you can imagine my horror when I turned it over and it said H.M Courts on the return address.

Well, with my heart sunk into the floor, I ripped it open and saw two words that made my day...jury summons

Maybe I will get a case of somebody done for speeding... :)
 60 in a 30 zone - court summons - R.P.
Well you kept us in suspense - two weeks can be a long time can't it ?!

Lesson learnt hopefully - its all part of the fun of driving in the UK these days....!

That must have been a real brown trouser moment.
 60 in a 30 zone - court summons - Bromptonaut
Formwork for the cameras will be sent out by plod or the SCP. HMCS only involved after decision to prosecute.
Still enough to put the frightners on someone nonetheless...
 60 in a 30 zone - court summons - RattleandSmoke
What happens if it goes to court? Sounds like you will need good legal advice as a good lawyer will be able to defend you well in court. I've had quite a few moments of being scared of opening the post not for speeding but other silly things.
He's been summoned as a Juror Rattle !
 60 in a 30 zone - court summons - Iffy
...He's been summoned as a Juror Rattle !...

Bless, and he's not even had the first of his Saturday night ten pints yet. :)
 60 in a 30 zone - court summons - Dwight Van Driver
Sweat over if you are the Reg Keeper of the vehicle involved and have been for some time. Sweat on if you are not as the law requires NOIP to be served on Reg Keeper. If done in the 14 days then they can play around chasing Keeper for driver and when established take proceedings without any further NOIp to driver.

dvd
 60 in a 30 zone - court summons - SteelSpark
>> Sweat over if you are the Reg Keeper of the vehicle involved and have been
>> for some time. Sweat on if you are not as the law requires NOIP to
>> be served on Reg Keeper. If done in the 14 days then they can play
>> around chasing Keeper for driver and when established take proceedings without any further NOIp to
>> driver.

To be honest, the rational part of my mind knows that I was absolutely fine. I overtook the vehicles safely, came back to the left giving the vehicles behind plenty of room, and was definitely down to 30 before I reached the 30 sign. If I was back in the same situation again, I would be happy to make the same decision again.

I had just dismissed it as the mind playing tricks combined with my new driver paranoia, until that envelope arrived :)
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Sun 28 Mar 10 at 18:45
 60 in a 30 zone - court summons - bathtub tom
You and Rattle should get together. ;>)
Latest Forum Posts