Motoring Discussion > Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 20

Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - henry k
I have been tentatively looking for a possible replacement car and I cannot believe how poor some of the adverts are. Many are by large or main dealers.
They omit key features and include a total load of guff instead.

e.g. a Phaeton - Is it the four seat or five seat version?

An example of guff for a Mondeo Ghia X

Cruise control, Front fog lights, Front grab handles, PAS, Rain sensor, Cigar lighter, Analogue clock, Rear courtesy lights, 4 speakers, Heated rear window, Visible vehicle identification number, Reach + rake adjustable steering column, Handbrake on warning light, Water temperature gauge, Speedometer with trip recorder, Cut pile carpet, Oil pressure warning light, Front and rear door side impact beams, Inertia switch fuel cut off, Fully carpeted luggage compartment, Door bins, Height adjustable rear seat head restraints (x3), Automatic headlights, Front side airbags, Low washer fluid indicator, Fasten seatbelt reminder, Driver's footrest, Door pull handle/armrest, Adjustable front head restraints, Remote fuel flap release

Lots of that lot is standard on most cars of that higher spec so a waste of space.
Alloy wheels ?, leather ?, alloys ?, heated screen ? electric drivers seat? heated seats? All these should be standard but No photos, No video.

This is from a main dealer with a large fancy web site but IMO little idea of how to advertise.
I know some would say it tends to make you call for the details but this sort of advertising turns me off contacting them.
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Skoda
Seems common, my old car's up for sale from a main dealer, like your example they've listed lots of the standard spec and missed 3 of the more (i'd think attractive) factory options. It's not that they simply use a template because they've got some of the options on there.

Taking it further, some of Skoda's information on new cars is out of date - in the case i'm thinking of the underlying data has improved so no one's being ripped off but it's strange that they don't capitalise on all their improvements. In other places they use jargon, just what exactly is a "variable boot floor", a hidey hole? a partition?

This appears to be a uk specific thing in the case of Skoda - you can get the correct, up to date information from Skoda CZ or even Skoda PL websites, but not Skoda UK.

BMW aren't much better but at least they include a comprehensive Glossary section on their US website.
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Fursty Ferret
People who sell on eBay or Autotrader and put "0" down as the mileage, and then bury the true, enormous figure somewhere in the text. Or don't include it at all. Or lie - 60k when it's actually 68991...

"Perfect condition" with one photo of the outside, taken at night in the wet with a phone camera. I've never bought a car where there aren't interior pictures, and lots of them.

It's not hard, is it? Each corner of the car on a good day, with close ups of damage is all I ask of the outside. Interior needs to show clean with no obvious damage. I expect a shot of the dash binnacle with the engine running, showing no warning lights and the odometer.

Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Mike Hannon
Sites including Autotrader now seem to have a standard format - they give a long list of standard equipment and, perhaps, extras and tell you absolutely nothing about the car itself or its history.
Worse than useless.
At least on fleabay people try to put in a bit of descriptive material.
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Bellboy
not many people can write adverts
you need impact to get attention
a good example was when i started a thread last week simply entitled 'sony' it impacts because you have heard of the brand and would be curious to know what it was all about

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=6149

Now getting back to impact,you sure make sure the reader of your advert is in no two minds that your car is the best available for the price point offered and remember everyone has a price point.

Unfortunately most people in marketing and sales only have a diploma to show for their learnings real people start on the sales floor and learn by mistakes quickly,they dont start their adverts by downloading all the carp that autotrader swells your advert with but you walk round the car writing down good selling points and extras that help a sale,if the mileage is high and so its going to negatively impact on your advert then why buy the car in the first place and offer it for sale?,i always saw it as madness buying high mileage cars where you know its going to be a struggle to sell on and all those little niggles to sort out first (ok most places let the customers find the niggles)

so there you have it a poor advert thats trade, tells you plenty about the seller and the sellers emporium
a poor advert by a private seller is down to either pure laziness or maybe because they dont have to think in the world they live in as everything is basically done for them from cradle to grave
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - AnotherJohnH
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>not many people can write adverts you need impact to get attention>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>do lots of these >>>>>>>>>>>>>> help?
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Sun 1 May 11 at 16:20
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - rtj70
:-)

The thing about listing all the standard spec for a model - not everyone buying a car what came as standard. And what is standard now might not have been previously. For example, the Passat I have on order now comes with standard leather seats but when it was released in 2008 it did not.

So a buyer would have to know what was standard at a particular point in time for a given model?
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Tigger
>> not many people can write adverts
>> you need impact to get attention
>> a good example was when i started a thread last week simply entitled 'sony' it
>> impacts because you have heard of the brand and would be curious to know what
>> it was all about

Had the opposite effect on me. If the header doesn't tell the story I've got other things I can be doing with my time and won't bother reading it.
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - -
ok then this is the flannel from my ebay advert for my hilux, was it rubbish or would you have considered it

NO VAT...PRIVATE SALE

57 reg Hilux 3.0 D4D Auto in Carlo Blue, Full dealer history and then some, Fully rustproofed, Maintained meticulously, Benefitting from Hardtop, Towbar, Extra lighting, Stainless side steps.
No dents, no damage, no accidents, the very odd small scratch or stone chip, everything works as it left the factory...better in some cases.

Welcome to the reluctant sale of my Hilux pick up...private sale NO VAT.

Bought new in 2007, this vehicle has covered 21388 miles as of now Sunday 6th Feb, i shall use it for commuting to work so have put 21500 miles in the ad to account for any slight increase in mileage.
In exceptional condition as it's been used privately, and was originally intended to be kept very long term...if it doesn't sell for a fair price, that will still happen.

This vehicle was professionally rustproofed in 2008 by Rustmaster Harpenden, if you get under ANY other used 4x4 then this one you will see why, this vehicle is in fantastic condition and will remain so for many years...i wire brush and paint the exhaust every summer too as part of the thorough servicing it gets...the rustproofing process included full inside all panel covering not just the bits you can see.

It has the usual Invincible extra's...Sat Nav, Cruise, Electric mirrors and 4 electric windows, Limited slip rear diff etc, it has unmarked overmats and then rubber mats over them so the carpets are as new as is the rest of the interior.
Front seats have had sheepskin squab covers on them continually, consequently all seats are as new..

Everything works, no faults at all.

It is fitted with a top spec lockable XTC Avenger hardtop in matching colour, unmarked inside (vinyl lined) and out, benefitting from rear opening side widows and a sliding front opening glass panel for ventilation...all hinges, locks and fittings are stainless steel, interior light.
Inside the load space there is a full plastic liner, including tailgate cover, and a very heavy duty rubber floor overcover to stop stuff sliding around.
The top can be removed for normal pick up use without too much bother.

It has a Witter towbar fitted which has been used half a dozen times, the heaviest of which was to carry a Scooby Imprezza on trailer roughly 400 miles round trip, the truck was extremely stable during this trip.
The towbar wiring is all connected inside the cabin under the carpets, my professional sparky thought little of the official wiring kit for the towbar and decided to put all connections out of harms and the salt's way.
The same sparky also fitted front and rear parking sensors which work accurately with display and audible warnings, extra reverse lights and extra interior lights as the vehicle was lacking in these departments when new.

The original side bars were only for show, they are here if required in as new condition, but the truck is fitted with a quality set of stainless steel side steps.

I have all paperwork for the truck, it's been serviced every year at the highly competent supplying Toyota dealer, and i've slipped in a half yearly every year oil change with Millers fully synthetic Diesel engine oil, there is a Fumoto quick drain oil valve in the sump making an oil change a quick clean pleasure.
A new fuel filter has been fitted by the dealer every year during service, surprisingly not a part of normal servicing, but i like things maintained the way they used to be.

If you research this model (and Landcruiser with the same engine) you will find that the Denzo injectors are prone to being noisy when cold, a new set of injectors, pipes and seals were supplied and fitted by the Toyota dealer under goodwill in November, i have all paperwork to show....if you are considering buying another 3.0 litre D4D manufactured before late 08 make sure that's been done, or you could have future problems when the seals leak...£1700 for the parts alone.

It's a full UK spec truck supplied by a proper Toyota main dealer, it is NOT a rebadged VIGO with a shoddy aftermarket heater.

The truck has been treated exceptionally well, always allowed to warm a little before driving and to cool down before turning off.

It's on the original 16" Invincible alloys and is fitted with General UHP tyres selected for their exceptional wet road grip and quiet, over 7mm tread on each tyre, driving this vehicle is a pleasure as it's so sure footed in the wet.

All keys present, 2 plippers and the grey master key, 2 or 3 keys for the lockable hardtop.

This vehicle will not be sold cheap, it's better than any other pick up of a similar year out there and will last far longer than any other too, no idiot has tried to run it on comedy fuel, and it's never been misfuelled.

I shall treat any potential buyer with honesty and respect, i expect similar treatment.
Don't want silly offers or canvassers or dodgy people to waste their own or my time by contacting me, this is a genuine vehicle and will only be released once i have real money lodged in my bank.
The price is negotiable within reason, i'm looking for £16000 for it.

Added by seller on 12/2/11.

Following a couple calls i realise i didn't make it clear that this vehicle does not have leather interior, it has the normal soft cloth/velour style in grey, again in as new condition...i have left the sheepskin squab covers in place, they will go with the motor...but easily pulled aside for inspection to ascertain seat condition.
Leather was considered, but the standard grey is frankly boring for it's cost and cold, and once used in the comfort and warmth of the standard seats is such that aftermarket ( as planned for individual colour spec) was shelved.
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Fursty Ferret
TBH, the number of times you've written "NO VAT" would lead me to think you were a dodgy trader. Sorry! ;-)
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Bellboy
so-
too many secondry skool teacehers on here
break time
me thinks
have fun guys
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Armel Coussine
>> have fun guys

For sale: boring old motor, truly appalling condition, might pass for a 'classic' though whatever that may mean, some sort of German or Italian thing I think, says 'Hispano Suiza' on the nose if that means anything to anyone, 3,400,000 euros ONO, no timewasters please, can be viewed when we are awake, apply for address and phone number from Monaco police, reason for sale slight glitch in the baccarat plan.

(Monaco Advertiser)

How about that for real class Bb?
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Runfer D'Hills
Brilliant AC. Quite cheered me up that did!

Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Zero
dont get your clapper in a twist BB, ignore the perfecto police, I do.
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Stuu
I rather like reading classic car ads because they tend to use such eloquent terms for things, no such thing as cream leather, it will always be 'parchment hide'. They can be a bit wordy, but you get the impression someone sat down and thought about the ad. It sounds like they know what they are talking about even if they may not.
Last edited by: FoR on Sun 1 May 11 at 20:37
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Zero
>> no such thing as cream leather, it will always be 'parchment hide'.

Parchment hide is cream leather that's gone yellow, hard, cracked and ragged round the edges with age.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 1 May 11 at 20:40
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Runfer D'Hills
"Patina" great word. Translates as "a bit knackered".
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Suppose
"break time"
Bellboy, is that saying goodbye to c4p forum?
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=6184&m=137263

Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Skoda
>> "break time"
>> Bellboy, is that saying goodbye to c4p forum?

Hopefully not. Although I see the threads been cleaned up, some of it was going just a bit too far for my tastes.
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Cliff Pope
"Somewhere west of Laramie", the most famous car advertisement of all time:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jordancarad.jpg

Customers buy images, not products. There isn't the slightest reference to the car itself.
 Car Adverts - so many are lacking key info - Pat
I hope not too.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts