Motoring Discussion > Really don't know what comes next Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike Hannon Replies: 81

Really don't know what comes next - Mike Hannon
Is there a website that lets you put in all your requirements for a car to suit you and then comes up with recommendations?
We really ought to retire the Prelude this year and get something more practical but, for my life, I can't think of much that interests me.
We went to look at a Jazz Hybrid the other day and decided that, despite being touched with the ugly stick, what a good idea it would be. Then I snuck away and cried.
There's a bloke at the Fiat dealer near us who has a mint Lancia HPE, but he won't sell it to me and anyway we need something relatively modern and reliable. Not my last HPE wasn't reliable and rust-free...
I really dislike all this bulbous-looking modern tat and electronic gimmicks don't do anything for me. I thought a nice Peugeot 406 coupe (before it was uglified) in that lemony-yellow might be nice - but there seems to be every other colour for sale but that one.
I thought I was there when I hit on the late Jaguar X-type 2.2 diesel automatic estate - but there's only three that I can find for sale in the whole of France, which is a very big place to get around and I really can't be bothered to go chasing round the UK yet again.
Maybe if I could tick a few boxes and exclude a few makes (BMW, Audi perhaps) I might come across something I hadn't thought about before.
Any ideas?
 Really don't know what comes next - Stuartli
Have you tried Which? magazine's website?

www.which.co.uk/

You may have to register for a small fee.

Or:

www.whatcar.com/
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 24 Apr 11 at 15:15
 Really don't know what comes next - corax
You need to list your needs in the car, and what you definately don't want. MPV's perhaps :)
Also a list of manufacturers you don't like, ones you do. the sort of car you want - coupe, estate, hatchback e.t.c. Petrol, diesel.

Have you looked through a website like Parkers or HJ and looked at all the options? I know what you mean though, cars all look the same now.
 Really don't know what comes next - Skoda
www.carbuyer.co.uk/car-finder
 Really don't know what comes next - smokie
Like that, did a search for myself but all the selections take premium unleaded which put me off :-)

www.carbuyer.co.uk/search/reviews?filters=price%3A%5B300000%20TO%20368000%5D
 Really don't know what comes next - Bigtee
My problem is there's loads of nice cars but when it comes to comfort and more important good leg room this is what fails, the Avensis i like this but the seat does not go back enough for tall drivers 6ft-4".

The Mondeo and vectra is fine the veccy i bought but when it comes to choice comfort has to be the no1 for me.

Really don't know what comes next - Bellboy
VENDS

MERCEDES 190 D
ANNEE 1991
280 000 KM
TOIT OUVRANT ELECTRIQUE
VITRES AVANT ELECTRIQUES
EQUIPEE DE 4 PNEUS « NEIGE » NEUFS (JANVIER 2011)
+ 4 ROUES COMPLETES

PRIX : 2 000 €

TEL : 06.18.09.85.58

any good?
tis on the bay

SELL Mercedes 190 D year 1991 280,000 KM Roof PANES Before electrical equipped with 4 Tires "snow" Nine (January 2011) + 4 complete wheels Price: 2,000 € TEL: 06.18.09.85.58
 Really don't know what comes next - FocalPoint
@BB

Two misunderstandings:

"Toit ouvrant" means "sun-roof".
"Neufs" is the plural of the adjective "neuf", meaning "new", not "nine".

The translation of the whole ad would be:

For sale
Mercedes 190D
280,000 km
electric sun-roof
electric front windows
fitted with four new snow tyres (January 2011)
plus 4 wheels (presumably "complete" with standard tyres)
Last edited by: ChrisPeugeot on Sun 24 Apr 11 at 23:19
 Really don't know what comes next - Zero
Any ideas:

Fiat, Grande Punto, or Brava.
>> Fiat, Grande Punto

I'd have one of those in my lottery garage. We went to see one and I was unimpressed with the boot carpet (ultra cheap tat) and the controls have that cheap faux rubber feel. I drove a different one for a bit, hire car if I remember right, I think it was the 1.4 and it was gutless, thrashing it did nothing just made more noise. The gearstick was horrible to hold and horrible to use.

I think they look great, offer decent normal motoring and I'd have one in a heartbeat, although not the 1.4 in base trim :-)
 Really don't know what comes next - RattleandSmoke
The Punto Evo is what you want then, a much better quality car but they are quite expensive as they start at around £10k.
 Really don't know what comes next - AnotherJohnH
>> >> Fiat, Grande Punto

>> if I remember right, I think it was the 1.4 and it was gutless, thrashing it did nothing
>> just made more noise. The gearstick was horrible to hold and horrible to use.

>> I think they look great, offer decent normal motoring and I'd have one in a heartbeat,
>> although not the 1.4 in base trim :-)

As mentioned on another thread, the GP is a Corsa with better clothes, and FIAT bits - as is the Punto EVO.

I have a cooking spec 1.4 and it was built to a (low) price.

It has only 70 bhp, and short gearing to get it off the mark, but when you get going it hasn't got the power to compete with quite mundane stuff with 100 bhp plus (unless you catch them asleep and pass before they accelerate), and you then find it's doing 3.5k rpm at 70 which is neither quiet nor economical.

The gear change is a bit rubbery/weird, but mine improved with a few thousand miles use, and a bit of silicone lube on the ball near the base of the stick.

However, I wouldn't want to travel large distances in it - the suspension is a bit joggly, and it's a bit noisy too.

A bigger engined better trimmed 6 speed is probably a different beast altogether.

Really don't know what comes next - -
Give us a list of what you want and don't want Mike, as per Corax's post above.

Some of us will come up with something interesting, and the rest will list automotive washing machines..:-)

oh and an idea of budget, in good old Brit monopoly money, you know the stuff that used to be worth having.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 24 Apr 11 at 18:16
 Really don't know what comes next - R.P.
Only one choice for a chap like you....An Alfa Romeo of some sort. More charisma than a Lancia (arguably) and a car to love and cherish....
 Really don't know what comes next - Runfer D'Hills
Stop it now PU....

Mmmm Brera Spider....
May i remind the honourable gentlemen of one line of the OP...''I really dislike all this bulbous-looking modern tat''...well Alfa, especially Brera, one of the ugliest looking cars ever made fit's that description to a T.
Yeah, right moose isn't it...

newcarwallpapers.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/alfa-romeo-spider091.jpg
Humph, don't worry about it, he is a truck driver. If you cant tie an old toy bear to the front and put blue gay lights all over it he doesn't want to know.
>> Yeah, right moose isn't it...
>>

That's a Spider which is a neat motor, the Brera looks like some bug that crawled out from under a stone and then spent 6 months fattening up at Chernobyl.

As for taste in cars Z, you're in no position to criticise.
True, but the Bennet yard is not exactly festooned with classic beauties either is it.
>> True, but the Bennet yard

This ain't too bad for an old un

s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/cowithagun/?action=view¤t=IMG_1652.jpg
Yeah, two piccies of a nice motor, and 29 of a truck, most of the the underside of the truck...
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 24 Apr 11 at 19:34
29 of a truck, most of the underside of the truck...
>>

Yep, got to get round to deleting those, the truck's gone to pastures new.
Sure is a minger...
:-)

www.homdrum.net/alfa/images/italdesign_2002alfa_brera07.jpg
 Really don't know what comes next - Armel Coussine

>>> As for taste in cars Z, you're in no position to criticise.

>> True but...

Couldn't help noticing that admission Zeddo. Heh heh...
Humph that's the second time the words Alfa Romeo and Spyder have appeared in the same sentence today - money's come through from the sale of properties now.....tum tee tum tee tum....
Just do it PU. I shall one day. I can feel it...
>> Just do it PU. I shall one day. I can feel it...

Like giving up smoking?
Both, dear boy, both...
Can't keep me breath much longer, hurry up...gasp
Mind you saw a couple Chaterams the other day .....!
Caterham have just been bought by Lotus apparently.
>> Caterham have just been bought by Lotus apparently.
>>
Is that as in Proton?
No "team" Lotus

en.espnf1.com/lotus/motorsport/story/46803.html
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 24 Apr 11 at 22:12
Saw this evening, in Amberley, parked nose to tail, a real Lotus 7 and a lightweight Caterham 7. Both very tidy indeed of course. Gleaming in fact.

Doubt if that will help Mike Hannon in his quest for a new sensible bearable daily driver to go with the pet 6 litre V12 Jaguar. though. Living in France I might be tempted by a high-spec Laguna or similar. Suits the terrain, local equivalent of a Ford in maintenance terms, comfortable, rapid, frugal, invisible... what's to dislike? What's to go wrong? What's to cost an armanaleg if it does?

How can I put this kindly...You are of course not too old for an Alfa...

I can get in and out of the MX5 without wincing or having to pause half way through !
Well then on second thoughts you'll probably be ok in a Caterham if you grease yourself first...

Edit - ...and nothing, but nothing road legal compares to a well sorted sevenesque car. Did I mention...?
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 24 Apr 11 at 22:26
The two or three I saw on the A5 in Conwy were being driven with some zeal....still no match for a fast bike..
Aye, maybe on the straights, but the corners, oh the corners...and you can eat chips while driving it. Try that on a bike !

Cant smoke a fag on a bike either.
Can't do it for very long in a Seven either. Two drags and its gone.
 Really don't know what comes next - rtj70
Ariel Atom?
>> Ariel Atom?

Wish you could hire one of those for a track day, they look like great fun and from reading various owners impressions, they seem pretty accessible to drive hard.
Chips'd go cold in an Atom.
>> and nothing, but nothing road legal compares to a well sorted sevenesque car. Did I mention...?

He also lives close enough to Portmeirion to have a Lotus Seven and be cool about it. He's not a number though. ;-)
He's more than a number in my little black book...
Oh No ---
Think you've pulled PU.
It was all that talk of me being greased that did it.
Or the chips.
or maybe the fags...
Given up the fags and the chips...
And don't ask for a fag if ever in the States.... Well you can if you want one.
Anyway...This Alfa Spider/Spyder jobbie. Are we talking decisions here or are we still at the will he / won't he stage?...
>> Some of us will come up with something interesting, and the rest will list automotive
>> washing machines..:-)

Yeah, how about a nice Avensis Mike?

:)
Ha! I once talked my editor into having a Carina E. I went off Toyotas when they started putting those funny little snouts on them. The last car I was really taken with was the Alfa 156 SW then they spoiled it. Oddly enough, the Grand Punto had occurred to me. I thought the Alfa Guilietta might be ok until I saw the stupid price. I dunno, I might have to go back to bangernomics for a bit of interest - I saw a really nice Peugeot 604 the other day.
The last car I was really taken with was the Alfa 156 SW

Told you.....
I had an Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 JTS as a hire car (when the Passat I had was off the road after a crash on the Hoole Road Roundabout outside Chester). I had it for a couple of months in fact. What fun it was. A bit small and only a 2.0 twin spark engine (about 165PS I think) but really enjoyed it.

If Alfas were on the company car list I'd consider a 159... but not on there.
 Really don't know what comes next - Avant
Interesting yet practical....you haven't told us much, Mike, perhaps deliberately to encourage a broad response. A 406 coupe is interesting (depending on engine) and a Jazz hybrid is practical; an X-type estate could be both but not many about.

So what about:

Golf GTI (or Octavia vRS if you need more room)
Honda Accord Tourer
or (as you're in France) some form of Citroen to suit your budget.
Last edited by: Avant on Sun 24 Apr 11 at 23:47
 Really don't know what comes next - Bill Payer
>> or (as you're in France) some form of Citroen to suit your budget.
>>
Exactly what I was thinking.
Citroen C6 then. Very different in character to a Honda Prelude though.

Or a Laguna coupe.
Last edited by: corax on Mon 25 Apr 11 at 08:36
A C6 now that's a thought.
It's the sort of leftfield choice that Mike might like.
How about one of these

www.lancia.com/#/cars/musa/

Isn't that just about the ugliest thing you have ever seen in your life?
An acquaintance of mine has had a C6 since the early days. He happened to mention the other day he wouldn't be having another one, but didn't elaborate. He mentioned perhaps having the replacement for the 607 (which he owned before and is still going strong in the hands of another friend at 300,000km). The new(ish) C5 looks quite nice but I can't help wondering if they are like my friend's C3 - great for a short while but now, at five years, falling apart. The C5 is a bit big really, if I'm being sensible, as is the Accord Tourer. While we were at the Honda dealer's we looked at an Accord and, even though they are a bit gawky to look at now, we thought it was OK. But why don't they make one with a hatchback any more? Honda really is inexplicable these days.
A couple of years ago my neighbour and good friend came to me and asked what I thought he ought to buy to replace his big Volvo, after the main dealer wanted 1200 euros for a service and cambelt change. I said 'why ask me, of all people?' When pushed, I said 'the new Laguna looks pleasant and sensible'. He went straight out and bought one! And, to be fair, it is and has been very good. I see the coupe has four-wheel steering. Now where have I come across that before?
I tell you what, you see a hell of a lot of Dacias in France these days...
Anyway, thanks for all the help so far. ;-)
>>How about one of these

www.lancia.com/#/cars/musa/<<

You don't know whether to laugh or cry do you? Especially if you are a former Lancia owner.
I thought the new Delta might be a possibility - until I saw one.
>> the new Laguna looks pleasant and sensible'. He went straight out and bought one! And, to be fair, it is and has been very good

I see that your advice to yr friend is the same as mine to you MH. What's preventing you?

Modern Alfas don't have much Alfa soul left in them. A bit perhaps, but not much. 1.6litre 147 - my daughter's got one - is a bit disappointing really, and her example is drinking oil in some way, it isn't entirely clear why. Perhaps a 2 litre one would be better. I would be tempted by a 166 if I could find a good one.

Modern Lancias aren't Lancias at all. Peugeot 604... never liked it. There's a reason why there are so few left. I saw one in Paris once that had been rolled. Believe me, they're flimsy.

There's that 2 litre turbo Megane that HJ thought so good. The performance figures are certainly impressive. But that coupe body is indeed a bit, er, round-bottomed so to speak. You don't really want another classic though do you. Bit of a puzzle.
>> When pushed, I said 'the new Laguna looks pleasant and sensible'. He
>> went straight out and bought one! And, to be fair, it is and has been
>> very good.

So far the new shape Laguna reliability seems to be holding up. I read a buyers guide in Auto Express and looked up on HJ. Nothing too bad - at the moment. I would want a decent warranty though, as Renault know's how to charge for repairs. But maybe it's cheaper in France?

The coupe looks great. It reminds me of a larger version of the Fiat Coupe at the front.

EDIT - they mentioned the remote control cards going wrong which could be expensive. I had one of these when I was given a Megane as a courtesy car. I wondered what would happen if it went wrong, but apparently there is a hidden catch behind the door, so you can override it manually.
Last edited by: corax on Mon 25 Apr 11 at 12:21
 Really don't know what comes next - Westpig
There's a couple of X Type estates on here:

www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=CZm_JTou1TeHjO4O_hAfj6-VGgfGwgQLp6OOOGf-k7DUIABACKANQgqaH7wZgu66rg9AKoAGdp7fuA8gBAakCQhkArAK8uz6qBBtP0DXgaqIAv1Gh_WBRKQsCxBHe3G-lnUOOFQ8&sig=AGiWqtxj2duCx8ND9XC6AgNKLHUiCgnriw&ved=0CBsQ0Qw&adurl=http://www.My-LHD.co.uk
 Really don't know what comes next - Dave_
Are LHD cars *really* that much more expensive? Do we get RHD cars really, really cheap in the UK? Or has that dealer got extra unexplained costs in selling LHD cars?

Examples:
2007 old-shape Mondeo LHD 40k miles £11,899;
2009 Fiat Panda petrol LHD 15k miles £9,149;
2007 Focus CC LHD 34k miles £15,299;
2009 BMW X1 LHD 12k miles £35,999

They all seem dramatically overpriced compared to RHD UK cars.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi {P} on Mon 25 Apr 11 at 17:15
 Really don't know what comes next - CGNorwich
Those cars are obviously going to end up in Europe where they will seem cheap compared with anything bought locally especially if they are paid for in Euros converted to Sterling
 Really don't know what comes next - XJSguy
Mike before settling on the XJS I drove over a 2 year period the following:

Nissan 200SX Turbo S14 A. Awesome, near mint, but put me in a ditch at the first sight of rain and mud (I wrote it off)

Hyundai Coupe SIII with V6 engine. Great fun if you could deal with the rock hard bone shaking suspension, which I could not! in the end I found myself taking my wifes 7 seater out of preference, and realised it had to go

Pug 406 Coupe V6. Nice, but hated the 406 interior, I just could not shake off the repmobile image of sitting in it, very poor quality plastics in the dash. Also I don't find the exterior as god looking and ferrariesque as others

Merc CLK320. Mrs G still moans I sold it, certainly was a lovely car, but so uninvolving to drive, comfortable yes, loaded with toys yes, but every day nagged me "need new brake pads in 2000 miles, needs service in 2000 miles, emergency back up bulb not working" blah blah, that and the life sapping auto box meant I felt I was driving a dishwasher

JagXJS, still love it! drove it 140 miles today on fantastic roads in Norfolk, plenty of chances to give it the beans and lots of more sedate driving too, and with working aircon for the first time in 16 months!

So, whats my advice?

the only car I have ever driven that I keep thinking I ought to have bought, was an Audi A3 3.2 Quattro. I walked away from it cos it developed a misfire on the test drive, which most likely was cos the engine bay had just been powerwashed, likely easily fixed. WHAT A CAR THOUGH! just lovely to drive. Later drove a 2.0 Turbo and it didn't feel like it wanted to get up and go, so my vote would be an Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Should be plenty in Europe

GUY

Last edited by: XJSguy on Thu 28 Apr 11 at 23:19
More thanks to all! We've been away for a few days and, believe it or not, there was an X-type estate parked outside the hotel every day. If only I could find one not too far away. I tried looking at the stock list on the Jaguar France website but - guess what - it uses Flash Player and I was away from home with the iPod. Also saw my first new XJ - didn't like it much from the front, looks a bit heavy compared with the XF. I've also seen two of those nice yellow Peugeot coupes but neither was for sale.
What I did see and seemed pleasant to look at and not too big was a Renault Fluence. I'd never even heard of it but apparently they've been around for a couple of years. Something between a new Megane (which isn't bad to look at as a hatchback compared to its bizarre predecessor) and a Laguna. Apparently it's made in Spain or somewhere and imported to fill what Renault must think is a gap in the range. Renault thinking seems odd to me these days - they are already selling Dacias hand over fist when they should be selling Twingos and Clios, and now this motor made by another firm but with their badge on it.
I got a chance to take a closer look at a Giulietta too. Somehow it just doesn't seem to cut it.
I think I must be starting to lose the plot - I looked at a Freelander 2 and thought 'that might do - my mate had one and I liked driving it'. What next?
The pondering continues.
''I got a chance to take a closer look at a Giulietta too. Somehow it just doesn't seem to cut it.
I think I must be starting to lose the plot''

Hardly MH, you have individual tastes (careful, you'll end up on a register) and it doesn't include the fawning drooling exhibited by the TG crew and it's disciples.

I've driven a number of Freelander 2's (delivered hundreds) and i do like them, the one thing that really annoys though is the fussy breeze block ignition key, poncing about to get the thing out or in, if i really wanted one i'd have to get that altered somehow.

Seeing as you like FL, have you tried 4007 or it's rather less ugly sibling the C Crosser, overlooked and underrated IMO.
>
>> Seeing as you like FL, have you tried 4007 or it's rather less ugly sibling
>> the C Crosser, overlooked and underrated IMO.
>>
And overpriced. 23grand at discount prices and over 500 quid month lease.

Nah
>> And overpriced. 23grand at discount prices and over 500 quid month lease.

Sounds like a bargain compared to the Mitsi badged version then.
I can get the base model GX2 Diesel outlander for 22.5k

The Pug can be had for 19.5k
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 29 Apr 11 at 19:07
I once went to try an Alfa 156 Sportwagon 4x4 'Crosswagon' but, being France, it was a tad expensive. Haven't seen one from that day to this.
Desperation must be setting in...
I spent three days waiting for a reply from some jerk who advertised his Accord Tourer on a popular French website and couldn't be bothered to answer phone or email, so yesterday I decided to pop out to our village's annual spring plant sale. To add excitement to the event the Renault dealer (they still have mainstream make agents in little places here) had parked a few cars in front of the church and among them was a Dacia Duster 4x4. I remembered the one I road tested decades ago and managed to get stuck in a field, but this one didn't look bad and I recalled a couple of weeks ago we had lunch with the former owners of our house, who now run a Dacia Logan estate and said they are pleased with it.
When I got home, quite by chance I picked up a copy of Motor Sport from a few months ago that now has a 'road cars' feature by the respected Andrew Frankel. To my surprise he did a bit on the DD, praised it as good value no-frills motoring and said it was a shame it won't reach the UK until 2012 because it has proved so popular in Europe. So I Googled for it and found a piece by John Simister in the Indy. He said if Ned Ludd wanted to buy a car, this would be it!
The 'big town' Renault dealer is opposite Lidl and we have to go shopping later...
www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/road-tests/dacia-duster-2058648.html
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Mon 16 May 11 at 11:15
 Really don't know what comes next - Boxsterboy
These Dusters do look fantastic value in a no-nonsense, everyday, sensible sort of way. Saw one in France in metallic bronze (the colour last seen on dad's Renault 16TS) and it looked great.
They're almost all that colour. Frankel called it turd brown - but no matter...
Latest Forum Posts