Motoring Discussion > Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 18

Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - henry k
Just a reminder.

Will we learn anything new ?
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - Avant
I shouldn't think so. I still can't understand why the media have made such a meal of this, when there are scores, if not hundreds, of recalls every year, from a wide range of makers.
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - Tigger
I think it happened when there wasn't very much other news, it was stoked up in the USA by the protectionist lobbies. Plus, of course Toyota aren't good at admitting mistakes.

I run a landcruiser. Its a great car but it seems that there's an issue with the copper seals at the base of the injectors, which after 60,000 miles or so allows exhaust gases past, polluting the oil. it seems there is an easy fix - swapping the seals to aluminium ones.

When Isuzu had a similar problem, they issued a recall. Toyota have not. They quietly extended the warranty on the engine to 5 years/100,000 miles [for this issue only], but no recall to fix the problem, even though I'm told Toyota Ireland are swapping the seals.
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - Statistical Outlier
I completely agree Avant, someone on here posted a video of a lady demonstrating how she could put her Prius in neutral with her foot on the floor with no problems. Education would seem more useful in the circumstances.

I still say it's a shame that Toyota pulled out of F1 though. With all this going on, I reckon they would have been unstoppable.

I'll get my coat.
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - hawkeye
Watched with interest but was disappointed with the lack of any detail of why the throttle pedals stick and especially why no one in a runaway car can turn off the ignition. The program referred to unintentional acceleration which is different to the pedal sticking in my book. Too many shots of the inscrutable Mr Toyoda summoning up clearly unfamiliar emotions for various audiences.
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - kb
I too saw the programe and also missed any reference to putting it in neutral (auto or man - same effect) and applying the brakes. I can see the problem with turning off the ignition - almost no braking, the steering gets really heavy and the steering lock operates if you, in panic,turn it right off. I kept waiting to hear that there was some sort of electronic problem whereby everything locked up but in the case of a manual you can always engage neutral and brake and surely an auto will always have neutral available?

A faulty diesel can, it seems, run on it's own - and I've seen a coach with an engine which we couldn't turn off.... but it still has brakes and steering.

I'm obviously missing something. No change there then. I must be because for an issue to bring the very future of Toyota in to question there must be more to it than meets the eye.
Last edited by: kb on Thu 25 Mar 10 at 23:54
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - RattleandSmoke
I remember studying some of it for my AS in Business studies 9 years ago.

Makes me a little bit worried about driving a computer, although all my cars have had fuel injection they have all had a traditional cable throttle not a stupid electronic one probably controlled by the CANbus.

I didn't really learn anything new other than Toyota are only being accused of what all the American giants used to do.
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - movilogo
>> lack of any detail of why the throttle pedals stick

That was exactly my opinion too. They missed most important part. Or just that info was not released by Toyota?

Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - ....
>> >> lack of any detail of why the throttle pedals stick
>>
>> That was exactly my opinion too. They missed most important part. Or just that info
>> was not released by Toyota?
>>

I put this down to it being a Money programme special and not Engineering Weekly.
>> the steering lock operates if you in panic turn it right off.

No no no. You have to panic enough to completely remove the key for the steering lock to operate. Try it somewhere quiet.

I take your point on increased effort on brake and steering though.
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - kb
Stands corrected. Hangs head. Slinks off in to a corner.
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - Tooslow
I watched the programme and, as others have commented, didn't feel I learnt anything new. I think there is another issue which comes out of this which is being totally ignored. I don't want to be insensitive, people have died and no one knows how they will react to a situation until they find themselves in it but there is surely an issue of driver reaction which is receiving no attention at all.

I am not dismissing the Toyota issue. I do think the situation is being over done but let's stick with driver reaction for now. Earlier this week there was a tragic case of a young girl being run over on a beach in the US. No mention of whether the car was a Toyota. Let's assume not as I'm sure that would have been shouted from the rooftops if it were. The driver is reported as having hit the accelerator instead of the brake.

Hang on a minute, let's just look at this in a bit more detail. The driver presumably had her (the driver was reported as being a woman) foot on the accelerator to drive the car. So when presented with an "everyday" emergency she was incapable of responding correctly, i.e. lifting her foot from the accelerator and moving it over to the brake. We're not asking a lot here. Just basic car control.

I have had a child step out in front of me. On more than one occasion. I'd be surprised if a great many of you could not say the same. I hit the brakes and no harm done. Thank goodness. Possibly one child becomes "educated" in their own safety. I really don't want to sound superior or smug but there is surely evidence that there are people who lack basic car control skills. The answer is not more electronics or driver aids, it is a harder driving test.

JH
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - madf
In the USA, the driving test is basically a test for a breathing driver...
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - Old Navy
>> In the USA the driving test is basically a test for a breathing driver...
>>
My original driving test in Australia consisted of driving around the block with the local bobby, if you didn't hit or frighten anyone you passed. Beers all round on completion!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 26 Mar 10 at 12:43
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - Old Navy
>>The answer is not more electronics or driver aids it is a harder driving test.
>>
>> JH

Or driving and eyesight tests every 10 years.

Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 26 Mar 10 at 12:39
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - movilogo
Are drivers of automatics are more likely to press accelerator instead of brake?
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - madf
Are drivers of automatics are more likely to press accelerator instead of brake?

Yes.

(A 67 year old uncle in 1969 demolished a garage wall in his Jaguar .. by doing that. Fairly common in the elderly I believe).

You must remember US drivers are by European standards - on average totally incompetent...

Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - Bellboy
i got in my auto car today,its been parked up 3 months due to being damaged,anyway i started it moved it went to put my foot on the clutch and couldnt find it :-(
its an auto isnt it squire
i nearly put diesel in my run around car last week :-( its a petrol
maybe time for a holiday eh
oh yes tomorrow

toyota link?
here
warning contains bad language
www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9vbE-RPn2c
>> warning contains bad language
>>

I laughed at that. A lot. I'm still chuckling.
Latest Forum Posts