Thread Author: Chris S Replies: 33

Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - Chris S
.*******
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - Videodoctor
What he^ said.
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - sherlock47
That will change all our lives then!

Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - FuzzyDuck
I just went past my local Shell garage, I'll swear the diesel price is 1p higher than yesterday!
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - Boxsterboy
Yes, only 1p, but he's deferred the planned rise of 5p due next month, so it's like a 6p cut really.
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - Dave_
>> it's like a 6p cut really

Almost makes up for the 2p rise when the VAT went up 11 weeks ago.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi {P} on Wed 23 Mar 11 at 20:01
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - Focusless
I thought I heard somewhere (news?) that the cut in fuel duty was being funded by an increase on tax levied on the oil companies. So won't they end up increasing their prices anyway? Happy to be corrected.
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - MD
We all moaned like Chuff at £1.00 per litre. Hardly a word here now!!
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - Stuu
What can anyone do? Wont change anything.
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - -
Anything heard about LPG, topped up last week at 70ppl, which is around 9ppl cheaper than most garages.
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - MD
Me..............I just fill up and keep going to work. As you say Stu, nothing we can do. Pawns in a big game.................
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - John H
>> I thought I heard somewhere (news?) that the cut in fuel duty was being funded
>> by an increase on tax levied on the oil companies. So won't they end up
>> increasing their prices anyway? Happy to be corrected.
>>

Not all the companies that get oil from the UK North Sea fields sell fuel in the UK

The oil that is extracted does not all get converted to fuel.

So even if these companies pass on all the extra tax, it gets dispersed thinly amongst many different products and customers.

Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - Chris S
I said something like "Fuel duty has been cut by 1p a litre - that will p@#! off all the people who filled up before the budget."

HJ's prude filter is alive and well!
On Friday UL was £1.30 P/L, Sunday it was £1.28 p/l now today its £1.30 p/l again. I filled up Sunday, misses filled up Friday - she was not amused :-)
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - Zero
I filled up at £130.9 on Monday. I know it will not be lower than that at the next fill-up, no matter what the chancellor has said or done.
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - PeterS
>> I filled up at £130.9 on Monday. I know it will not be lower than
>> that at the next fill-up...

I hope for your sake it is cheaper;-)

On a slight tangent, has anyone else noticed a closing of the gap between V Power and normal petrol? I'm sure it used to be 7p per litre more than regular at my local Shell station, and sometimes 8p more. The last couple of times I've filled up though the gap has been 'just' 5p

Peter
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - Skoda
>> the gap between V Power

£1.36 round here i think, last friday anyway, dropped the difference by ~2p i guess. Supply and demand thing?

BP are still head in the clouds, the bm likes their ultimate brew, jeezo. I'm switching to lexmark printer ink in future.
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - wotspur
If he had really wanted to help businesses he could have reduced diesel by 5p and increased the price of unleaded for the Chelseas tactors
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - Boxsterboy
>> If he had really wanted to help businesses he could have reduced diesel by 5p
>> and increased the price of unleaded for the Chelseas tactors
>>

... that mostly run on diesel these days.
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - Zero
>> I filled up at £130.9 on Monday. I know it will not be lower than
>> that at the next fill-up, no matter what the chancellor has said or done.

As predicted, filled up today at £1,30.9
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - Telb
Of course it should have gone down 1.2p per litre as there's the vat on the duty to come off as well! Some hopes.

I hear today that garages are saying they won't reduce until they get the cheaper stock in. Just like when it goes up ha ha ha.
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - RattleandSmoke
Slightly off topic but I was very surprised to find petrol is actually cheaper in Sussex than it is in South Manchester .I saw one petrol station selling it for 127.9p, I have been paying 132.9p but all the other stations are 133.9p due to that what appears to be a local cartel I have mentioned before.

Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - Shiny
Duty is applied during manufacture of the fuel, not retail.
It used to be at the point of sale, but it was during Thatcher's reign that they moved it higher and higher up the chain to gain a windfall. This means that any duty reductions should take about 2 weeks to be shown at the pumps.
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - R.P.
Diesel 137p (well 136.9) in deepest rural Wales - Porthmadog yesterday. Shell.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sat 26 Mar 11 at 09:28
Still 1.26/1.27 round here.
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - Bromptonaut
The diesel/petrol gap has opened up again. Sainsbury's Northampton (Sixfields) u/l 130.9 Diesel 137.9. More than 140 at BP or Total.
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - VxFan
Some of the garages in Oxfordshire put their prices up just prior to the budget. Result being that the price is still the same (if not a penny or two higher) after the 1p fuel duty cut.

It's about time some of these fuel company bosses and garage owners alike had their heads pulled off their shoulders and excrement poured down their windpipes.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 26 Mar 11 at 20:32
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - Dave_
>> It's about time some of these fuel company bosses and garage owners alike had their heads pulled off their
>> shoulders and excrement poured down their windpipes.

That's possibly a bit strong...
I presume this line that they buy the fuel in bulk at a set price is a lie?

Im guessing it must be given the reaction to the prices not falling immediately.

If its true, I can understand their point tbh if they bought whats in their tanks right now at a higher price, they are only ever gonna drop their price when the duty cut affects their purchases, playin devils advocate...
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - VxFan
>> Im guessing it must be given the reaction to the prices not falling immediately.

They're very quick to put it up though when previous budgets have increased the fuel duty. They don't wait then until a fresh delivery arrives. The stock of fuel they already have in their tanks gets the duty added almost straight away.

i.e. very quick at putting the prices up, but not so quick in bringing them down again. Same applies when the oil prices go up and down.
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - zookeeper
when it reaches £1.00 a pint im going back to shanksies pony, unfortunately il lose my house my job my wife and kids....but at the end of the day il know i have won
>>but at the end of the day il know i have won<<

Im just waiting for the anarchy and our reverting back to 3rd world living that the Left is suggesting. Cant wait to see if that happens.
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - captain chaos
It's a pity we can't source our oil from the same place as the Americans.
They only pay two quid a gallon
High oil prices my eye
As the Arabs say, why do you think we should increase production to bring the price down?
So you can tax it even more?
 Fuel duty cut by 1p a litre - DP
>> As the Arabs say, why do you think we should increase production to bring the
>> price down?
>> So you can tax it even more?

Very hard to argue, I agree. Plus it's a finite resource, and once it's gone, the income dries up with it. Therefore, pumping more to sell for less makes absolutely no sense from their point of view.
Latest Forum Posts